How I Run: A Survey

Jackie from The Freckled Runner tagged me in this How I Run Q&A Survey, so I decided to fill it out for your reading pleasure. Enjoy!

1. Would you rather run on a beach path or a mountain trail?

I’d rather run on a mountain trail because I live near the beach and can run there whenever I want, although I rarely do.

11709538_422258114628540_5650536899753759278_n_thumb.jpg

2. If you could choose the flavor of Gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be?

I’m not a huge Gatorade fan. I always prefer the aid stations with water because most runners like to pour it on themselves during the race. I volunteer at races and run an aid station, and more runners take water than Gatorade.

3. If I gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would you purchase with it?

Shorts.

4. Do you prefer to follow a training plan, or wake up and decide how far and fast you want to go?

I don’t follow a training plan, but I strive to get certain key workouts in each week- long run, speedwork, and some form of strength training. I like to get a hill or bridge run in at least every other week.

For the most part, I try to keep my runs easy right now because it’s hot.

5. Would you rather start your run with an uphill and end with a downhill, or start with a downhill and end with an uphill?

The closest thing we have to a “hill” in Charleston is the Cooper River Bridge, so I’ll say to start the run with the uphill and end with the downhill (if we had hills, I would prefer this). My 10K PR is in the Bridge Run.

10916353_10153140157235750_2418888232254368612_o.jpg

6. When you can’t run, what kind of cross training do you choose to do?

Even when I can run, I like cross training and do it a few times a week. I like BodyPump, yoga, and the Arc Trainer.

I did spin three times a week last summer when I was injured, so now it reminds me of being injured. It’s still a great workout.

7. What is your preference: out-and-back, point-to-point, or loop?

I typically do out-and-back runs unless I’m at the evil oval (track).

8. If you could recommend any running gear or items to a new runner, what would it be?

Get fitted for shoes. Also, if you get injured, get refitted for shoes because you could possibly have been incorrectly fitted (I was). Right now, I am loving the New Balance Fresh Foam Zante, but I also wear the Zoot Solana and Mizuno Wave Hitogami.

DSCN8425_thumb.jpg

9. Do you see any animals on your runs?

Yep. Deer, snakes, and lots of roadkill. I also see off-leash dogs on the Greenway, which is against the rules- and I’m really not a dog person because I’ve been bitten. The owners insist their dogs don’t bite.

The dog that bit me didn’t bite. Until of course… he bit me.

10. Ever gotten lost while on a run?

I got lost on one of my first runs in my new neighborhood after moving to Charleston. Luckily someone in the neighborhood was grilling, so I followed the smell to get home. It was a longer run than planned.

11. If you could have one meal ready and waiting for you at home after each run for the next 30 days what would it be?

A protein shake/smoothie. I already do this, they are easy to make post-run, place in the shower, then grab when I am done showering and stretching. I have a smoothie for breakfast almost every morning.

Picture 002

12. Capris or shorts? which do you run in most?

I own running pants. I wore them twice last winter. For me, that was two runs too many. Both runs were below freezing.

13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into a run do you feel like your body is completely warmed up?

My first mile is almost always 20-30 seconds slower than the other miles. Takes at least a mile to warm up. Before a 5K, I usually run 2 miles to warm up and a 2-mile cooldown with friends/track buddies.

2015-Race-the-Landing-_5-384_thumb.jpg

14. What do you do with your key when you run?

Pocket, beside the track, or leave them in the “key bucket” during some of the group runs.

15. If you could relive any race that you’ve done in the past, what would it be?

Cooper River Bridge Run 2015. It was the last time I raced well, and it was fun hanging out before and after the race. Lots of locals will tell you this race is overhyped and overpriced, but I think everyone should run it once for the experience.

DSCN8445_thumb.jpg

16. What type of run is your least favorite?

Tempo runs. They’re especially hard in the summer with the heat, although I like them much more during Spring/Fall/Winter.

17. When you go for a run, do you leave from your front door or go somewhere to start?

For my morning runs, I’ve just been leaving right from my front door, mainly because I don’t have time to go drive somewhere.

For my long runs, I almost always drive somewhere. My favorite places to run, besides from the house, are the track, downtown Charleston, and the Cooper River Bridge.

party_at_the_point3

18. When running in daylight, are sunglasses a must or just an annoyance?

I don’t really wear sunglasses unless I’m at the pool or beach. I wore glasses for years, so I’m not a sunglasses person. I won a pair of running sunglasses in a giveaway and they’re still in the package.

19. When you get tired, what keeps you from quitting?

I have to get home because that’s where the food is.

9173_1439152363

This entry was posted in Randomness and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to How I Run: A Survey

1. Love this survey! You and I think alike about the food when we are tired…and those New Balance’s are SICKKKK. Love them!

The Fresh Foam Zante are my favorite shoe right now. They are perfect for everything from track workouts to half marathons. Cushioned, but fast. They also retail for $100, which is a big deal because it’s hard to find shoes at that price point, much less $100 running shoes that are durable and flexible for a lot of workouts.

• I’ll have to check those out. I rotate between the Brooks Pure Connect and the Newtons Distance S. The Pure Connects are only $100 but they wear out FAST. The Newtons are awesome but they are like $165 or something insane. They also don’t last too long. The company boasts that you can wear them for thousands of miles, but the lugs wear down on me by like 3-400 miles!

I considered the Brooks PureFlow but have heard that the latest edition (the 4’s) wear out even faster. I like my Mizuno Hitogami’s but they seem to wear out pretty fast, and they also retail for $100. I can get more miles out of the New Balance Zante, so I will probably buy another pair in the next few months.

• I’m running with my friend who works at our local running store on Sunday and I’m totally going to grill him about them and see if he carries them or can order them!

2. I have an addendum to #10. Remember in 2013 we were doing that virtual half marathon over on I.O.P. and we missed our turn, went to the dead end, started back and realized we missed our turn way back there, so we cut through that yard? good times…..

3. I so agree with #8! Oh and #1 is similar to me.. we have SO many trails around here, but when I’m near a beach I’m all over that!

We have a few trails here, but they are all flat- so if someone’s training for a hilly trail race, they have to travel to NC or the upstate to run (and many people do that). All our beaches are pretty run-able… at times…

4. fitnessmomwinecountry says:

This was such a fun read, what a great post. I have to run in sunglasses, I have tried without and I was miserable.

5. KatieRuns says:

Love this! I’m ALL about the shorts too. And agreed about tempo runs – what I like to describe as a “retrospectively fun experience” 🙂

Tempo runs are hard to do alone. If 5K races were cheaper, it would be a good alternative because they’re so plentiful here. I wish we had something like ParkRun in the UK- that seems like the best program because you can run it easy, race it, or tempo run it. It’s volunteer run and with no fees.

• KatieRuns says:

You should try and bring it to your city! I’m pretty sure the UK parkrun founders are trying to spread it to the wonderful US of A – worth a research at least… 🙂

6. Hollie says:

I think capris are one of the most awkward pieces of clothing ever. For me there isn’t a lot of point because you might as well go down to pants or up to shorts. I own a couple pairs of capris but I almost never wear them.

So my pants are really Pearl Izumi capris, but there’s only a few inches between my sock and the end of the pants. Short person problems! I *do* wear them (or yoga pants) for lifting weights, especially BodyPump.

7. thisrunnersrecipes says:

It bothers me so much when people just let their dogs run around off leash. Especially if I’m running with my dog (who is always on leash), it’s super annoying and sometimes scary to get chased down by another dog.
    Food is such a major motivator for me during a hard run. Or really, any run. I like food quite a lot.

The off-leash dogs are a big reason why I drive the extra few miles over to the Cooper River Bridge pedestrian lane instead of running the Greenway. I’m not a dog person at all but I really don’t trust dogs I don’t know.

8. supereli23 says:

Those shoes are sweet, love the color! How comfortable are they? I too absolutely hate when people have their dogs off leash, i had one run circles around me the other day while the owner helplessly was yelling at it to stop. Good grief.

They are super comfy and very versatile. I’ve worn them for half marathons, but I also wore them last night for a 6 x 800m track workout. I’m kind of a shoe nerd and rotate between 6 pairs (really!), but if I could only afford or have one pair of running shoes, I would probably pick the NB Zante because of how versatile it is.

If an off-leash dog ran+6 circles around me, I’d probably have a panic attack. I try to take deep breaths and keep calm…

9. I hate hills, but if I had to choose I would start with it for sure.

10. Theresa says:

Fun survey! Home is where the food is 😉

11. this is a fun survey! i love dogs (and own one) but do NOT like to see dogs off leash while i’m running (or out walking my dog). ugh.