Friday Five: A Day in the Life

Today, I’m linking up with Courtney at Eat Pray Run DC, Cynthia at You Signed Up for What and Mar at Mar on the Run for the Friday Five linkup. Each week, the link up has a different theme, and everyone gives their personal insight on the same subject, making it a fun read.

This week’s theme is a day in the life, so I’m chronicling a recent Wednesday.

DC_linkup

5:55 AM: I wake up and roll out of bed. I set my alarm for 5:55 because I always seem to be late otherwise. Even my car’s clock is set for 10 minutes ahead of schedule.

My dad always taught me to be early. If you’re on time, you’re late. Old habits die hard.

I make coffee, check e-mail, check social media, and get dressed to work out. Most days I start my run around 6:45, but on Wednesday, I do sunrise yoga.

6:30 AM: Clay has an appointment with his eye doctor so he doesn’t go to yoga. He tells me that he plans to go to MMA/Kickboxing that evening, and he heads off to work. Clay’s a software developer, and he works in a brick-and-mortar office in Mt. Pleasant.

7 AM: I arrive at the gym for sunrise yoga. It’s a small class of 5-6 people, and I like that. Sunrise yoga keeps me injury-free and sets me up for a good day at work. I leave the class mentally centered and in a good mood.

I grab a treat after yoga, eat breakfast, and head home to work.

8:15 AM: Work begins.

Each day at 9 AM, I have a status meeting where everyone who works on the product I write for tells what they did the day before and what they are doing that day. Some other people who work with me also work from home but this meeting gives everyone a chance to interact. Everyone in the office meets in person and those of us who work from home are conferenced in on the phone (usually not on a camera).

10645007_10203729222244499_4940579925781368195_n

Even though I work at home, I always get dressed- usually in a race t-shirt and khaki shorts. Working out in the morning motivates me to shower, get dressed, and put on a little makeup each day. I feel better and I’m much more productive at work. I highly recommend this for anyone who works from home, even if you just take a walk around the neighborhood.

12:30 PM: Lunch break. I typically eat a salad or sandwich for lunch. I buy salad kits and big boxes of salmon burgers and veggie burgers at Costco, so most days it’s something quick. Sometimes I eat leftovers and some days I leave to pick up lunch.

Today I ate a grilled fruit salad from Ladle’s Soups and read the Charleston City Paper and West Of (West Ashley newspaper) since they both come out on Wednesday. They are free local newspapers that I grab on my way out of yoga.

1 PM: I start working again.

Let’s talk about work. I work from my home as a technical writer for a computer software company, writing training manuals, troubleshooting articles, online help, company blog posts, and other documentation. Besides that, I keep up with the latest in technical writing, usability/user experience, instructional design, and technology (Windows 10 is a big one lately).

I don’t have any meetings this afternoon, so I watch an online class on user experience and take notes. I also drink a lot of water because it’s summer and 269832 degrees.

My desk isn’t always that clean. I cleaned it once and took a picture just for the sake of someday writing this post. Clean desk or messy desk, my real girl life relies on that planner.

5:00 PM: I log off work for the day. My job has set hours and I usually work from 8-5. Clay drops by the house before his MMA/Kickboxing to change clothes and relax a little while so we chat. I change clothes, grab more water and my track bag, then drive to Summerville.

6:00 PM: Track workout! Tonight, we ran a mile, then did a workout of 8 x 400 meter at goal 5K pace, with 200 meter runs between each rep. Some people walked or jogged the recoveries and some of us just ran them at a conversational pace. We cooled down by running another mile.

The workout was five miles total, and my quads felt it that night.

11825877_10153392444751708_1322634136267403684_n

All of us who do the Wednesday track workouts have different goals. The group is pretty evenly split between triathletes and runners training for 5Ks, half marathons, and marathons. We have a wide range of paces and sometimes people bring their kids or families to the track. Sometimes people come and just run easy or walk too.

7:00-7:15 PM: We finish up with the workout and skip the post-run selfie. It’s recovery beverage time, so some of us head to Icehouse, a bar and restaurant in downtown Summerville. The drinks and food are reasonably priced and delicious there, and we sit outside on the patio to dry out from track and keep diners from smelling us!

8:30 PM: I head back to West Ashley (about a 20-25 minute drive). At home, I shower and drink a protein shake.

9:15 PM: I go into Clay’s man cave where he’s playing video games and talk to him and stretch. He had fun at kickboxing but I pretty much know both of us will be sore the next day. Sometimes we watch TV in the evenings- lately we watch Botched, Master Chef, and our new favorite, Orange is the New Black.

10:30 PM: This is when I try to wind down and hit the sack. I like to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night and usually that happens. Falling asleep isn’t hard after a speed workout.

This entry was posted in Friday Five Linkup, Summerville, Technical Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Friday Five: A Day in the Life

1. That salad looked yummy! Love your Lilly planner & mousepad. I need a cute mousepad! Love Master Chef, too! Have a great weekend!

2. Laura says:

I always think it can be interesting to read about how others days are broken up- seems like you have a good routine!

3. Theresa says:

That salad looks tasty! And I rely big time on my planner too!!

4. you were right, our days were pretty similar. you got me on the putting on makeup. i rarely do it unless i have an event these days! it’s fun to read another work from home day in the life!

I don’t wear a lot of makeup- just a little foundation and powder, that’s it. I usually do leave the house at lunch (to pick up lunch). If it’s a day where I don’t leave the house except for a workout, I skip the makeup ;).

5. Angela says:

I love this post! I always enjoy getting a peak into other bloggers and runners daily lives! I think your planner and mouse pad are adorable by the way.

6. Hollie says:

My parents taught me about being early as well. I always feel weird if I’m just on time. Planners are seriously my favorite.

7. I am always jealous of those people that are able to work from home. At least you got out there and started your day w some yoga. I’m sure it makes the day go so much better. I need to incorporate some yoga into my workout routine

Working from home is different… I like it, but it takes a lot of discipline too. I don’t think it’s for everyone.

I love starting my day with yoga or a run!

8. Coco says:

Sounds like a pretty well-balanced day. Any tips on Windows 10 for us? 😉

9. I love Master Chef too!! I love the ease of your day. I am always so envious of people who work from home. I always think how productive I would be. Kind of hard to stay home as a teacher though. 🙂

I know some teachers who teach in online schools and who work from home- so it’s actually possible!

• Yes, we have a good online program here in NC. My friend teaches some Spanish classes online. I may need to check with her and get some info. I could totally dig that; teaching Spanish online.

I love that online school is out there now. It’s always good to have more options for adults who work and for kids who do online school for whatever reason (various reasons). There are so many different ways to learn and I’m glad that with technology, society has really embraced that some people work well from home and also learn well from home!

• Totally agree!! My daughter would be one of those kiddos! She’d flourish if she could take classes online vs a traditional school.

I wish also more companies worked on a flex schedule allowing employees to work from home some. I think it would help with morale and productivity.

10. HoHo Runs says:

I’m so glad you stopped by my blog! I love to find other female southern running bloggers. There seem to be just a few! My husband has family in Mt. Pleasant. I admire and am envious of people who can work from home! I’m not sure how productive I would be though. Are the salmon burgers from Costco good?

If you need a home for your weekly training or racing (or whatever) posts, I’m co-hosting a new linkup called Weekly Wrap and I would love for you to join in!

11. runninrocker says:

You do a great job of staying on a good schedule while working from home! Your work sounds interesting. I am trying to get my Windows 10 right now as a matter of fact! My mom says she likes it way better then her old version. Ohhhhh I really want to do some track workouts! MMA class sound great. I took Krav Maga for a few months and it was amazing! I felt like such a bad A! lol Have a great weekend Amy!

12. It’s always neat to get a glimpse of a day in the life if others! I like how you seem to have a great routine that’s works for you, as I can imagine that working from home isn’t as easy as it sounds! And if course I love how you start your mornings off- nothing like a good run/workout/yoga to kick start the day!

For me, the morning sets the tone for the day. It’s really tempting to sleep in on Thursday, but I am more effective at my job if I work out before- even if I run slower or shorter. I typically take Fridays off working out because it’s a “slower” day at work for me, only one meeting and I usually spend it tying up my work to-do list.

13. Love that you get in 2 workouts a day, and that you get to work from home (that is my dream).

My days are pretty much the same.
    Up at 6:00
    Work 7 – 3ish
    Home & Dressed to workout by 4ish
    Workout until about 6
    Dinner, dishes, other housework until 7:30
    Check emails, blog/business work 7:30-10:30
    I force myself to turn off the computer and hop in the shower at 10:30
    Then in bed reading/watching a hour of TV to relax 11-12
    Sleep 12-6
    Up and at it again the next day.
    Monday through Friday are pretty much always like this. CRAZY!!!
    So, I nap Saturday and Sunday as a reward!

My yoga class is pretty restorative, so I don’t know if I consider it a “workout”. I guess it’s one of those things like foam rolling and stretching, it’s a bonus activity that I need to keep running, it’s really necessary. My schedule is never really crazy, thankfully.