Training for Summertime 5Ks (June 29 – July 5)

First, for my American readers, I hope everyone had a happy and safe Independence Day. A lot of my friends ran local 4-mile races and a few ran the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta, but I did not race.

I think I “overraced” in June and needed a mental break from #Team5K.

10251927_700486273563_4937807649435352821_n

For my weekend, I tried stand up paddle boarding for the first time, Clay grilled, and we had a nice dinner with friends. It was great to unwind after my busy work week. I work for a computer software company, and we just had a release, so the 3-day weekend couldn’t have arrived at a better time.

This week, I ran 41.4 miles. I also did a sunrise yoga class, weights, and 30 minutes arc trainer.

Monday: 7 miles.

Tuesday: 6.25 miles.

Wednesday: Sunrise yoga + 5 mile group run at The Foot Store.

Thursday: 2.25 miles (including timed mile at Track Off), 30 minutes Arc Trainer, weights.

Friday: No workout.

Saturday: 12.9 miles (Mt Pleasant to Downtown Charleston)

Sunday: 8 miles.

The highlight of my week was the Track Off competition. Those of us who do speed workouts at the Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, and West Ashley tracks got together to do an informal (Beer Olympics!) style track meet called a Track Off.

11665747_10200640343487798_6182116612666900477_n-001

Earlier in the week, I was excited about the meet, but when Thursday came around, I was exhausted thanks to workouts, my big girl job, and not sleeping well. Knowing I was too slow to win a homemade medal, I planned to run the whole meet as a workout.

11221409_666163326825_9037594316016264577_n-001

I ran for the Summerville “Flowertown Flash” team and competed in the 4x100m relay and the mile. My mile time was 6:40 (whomp whomp), but I was too tired to care about being slow. I was running the 800m until a severe thunderstorm came and forced us to drop the 800m and DMR, but we still had a tug-o-war.

11057477_10153081294758224_4515163875757025965_n-001

Besides Track Off, I ran 5 miles in North Charleston/Park Circle/Riverfront Park with The Foot Store group run on Wednesday, a great change of scenery since I’ve only run there a few times. I love the convenience of running from my front door in the mornings, but the bike path gets old. Riverfront Park also has fountains you can run through and a nice view of the Cooper River. Part of our run was on the Charleston Marathon route. If anyone’s looking for a South Carolina half or full marathon, it’s a great one and in January.

On Sunday, I ran my usual 8 miler with OnShore Racing. One of our guys, Brent, had his mom in town from Pennsylvania, so I ran with her and we talked about running, Charleston, and lots of other stuff. None of us are tour guides but we love it when out of towners come to run club because it’s a fun way to see Charleston from a different perspective. Plus, we enjoyed freeze pops after the run.

11227756_418633178324367_1698129447368421424_n

This week, I have a Race the Landing 5K on Thursday, and Clay is having eye surgery (PRK), so we’ll be busy with that. I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend and a great week!

This entry was posted in Summerville, Training Log and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Training for Summertime 5Ks (June 29 – July 5)

1. Farrah says:

Ooo! Super jealous that you got to try paddleboarding! (That’s on my bucket list, but unfortunately, I still haven’t found a chance to do it! I’ve been rather landlocked, haha.)

Great job on your mileage this week! A 6:40 mile is insanely fast to me! :O

SUP is really big here because of all the water- you don’t have to do it in the ocean though. People paddleboard in rivers, lakes, etc, but I guess it probably isn’t as popular off the coast. I never heard of it until I moved here to Charleston a few years ago.

2. backatsquarezero says:

Such amazing mileage for the hot summer.

Thanks. As long as I can get out there by 7, it’s not bad, but it may get worse as the summer goes on. I am finished with the run, showered, and working by 8 AM on the weekday mornings (I start at 6:45 AM). I am just focusing on consistently getting out there more than pace.

3. Melissa cunningham says:

Great training week despite your feelings of burn out!
    And yes 640 is still fast
    Yes beer Olympics was pretty awesome with a better than expected turn out!
    I do have to admit that my husband had 10-12 out of the 26 beers allotted to summerville….
    : )
    I do hope you get so e good rest this week so you can enjoy the last 5k at RTL ( and by enjoy I mean not feeling dying at mile 3, lol!)

The Mile 3 slump at Race the Landing is so real. It happens when I pass the wooden ship- my energy is just zapped coming off that bridge. With all the curves, it’s like you’re drinking before the after party and real drinking begins.

Your husband did a great job! Hooray for contributing to the beer total since most of the ladies on our team didn’t want to drink and run :).

4. I’ve always wanted to try stand up paddle boarding! So cool. Nice job with your mileage this week! The track off competition sounds really fun, great job!

Thanks! Yeah it was a fun “competition” ;). I guess I probably need to cut back on mileage a little this week for my 5K but we’ll see. 40 miles a week in the heat is a bit tougher than 40 mpw in cooler temps.

5. liz says:

I definitely need a break from racing every few weeks too (especially during summertime). Looks like you guys got one crazy storm (that sky is beautifully ominous). It’s been a stormy summer here too! Good luck with the eye surgery. I’m sending you both good thoughts.

6. Jennifer says:

Glad you were able to rest this past holiday weekend. How was the SUP? I haven’t gone yet. In Georgetown they have Yoga SUP…I think I’ll need to conquer SUP first haha 🙂