Race the Landing 5K #3: Oktoberfest (22:27)

Two years ago, on June 4, 2013, the world lost a very special little boy, Peyton Moore. Peyton was the son of my friends Noah and Jennifer Moore, who are some of the strongest people I have ever met.

In his nine years, Peyton inspired a community. He raised over $15,000 for the Injured Marines Semper Fi fund, participated in multiple sports such as football, wrestling, running, and javelin, and was a Cub Scout. He also helped his father, Noah, coach a local Couch to 5K program and loved encouraging new runners.

peyton_5k_logo_thumb.jpg

Many of the Couch to 5K runners who Peyton inspired have gone on to run more 5Ks, half and full marathons, and even 50K ultra marathons. Together with others in the community, they participate in local races, runs, and other events and dedicate it to Peyton.

Since Race the Landing #3 occurred on the anniversary of Peyton’s death, we wore red shirts (or shirts from Peyton’s Wild and Wacky race) in Peyton’s memory and dedicate our Race the Landing to him. Along with shirts, many of us ladies purchased and wore Run 4 P headbands.

11393406_1021341001211577_6345048811102192313_o_thumb.jpg

Peyton loved running in the rain, and no race in his memory is complete without it. While it didn’t rain during the race, we had a 60% chance of thunderstorms, and one rolled through around 4:30. A few people asked on Facebook worried the race might be cancelled, but the storm ended at 5.

Driving to Charles Towne Landing, I saw a beautiful rainbow and thought about Noah, Jen, Peyton, and “Little Moore”, as Jen is now pregnant with another little boy. I’m not particularly religious, but seeing a rainbow before a race is always inspiring (there was also a rainbow after Peyton’s Wild and Wacky race in March).

I got to Charles Towne Landing, picked up my race number and Tervis Tumbler gift, and warmed up. Like Race the Landing #1 and #2, the weather was beautiful and not swelteringly hot (but still warm- this is South Carolina).

The first mile of the course is such a tease because much of it is a slight downhill and it’s not curvy like the rest of the course. My first mile is always the fastest, and I break down at Mile 3 when the turns get crazy and I’m ready to be done. I have run this course 8 times, and the turns still get to me. It’s beautiful, but it’s one of the hardest courses in Charleston. Larry, who runs with us on Sunday mornings, was just ahead of me, so I hoped to keep Larry in sight as long as I could. Another girl I ran with on Sunday, Virginia, passed me in the first mile (she ended up placing 3rd overall).

I hammered it in and finished in 22:27, beating my previous two Race the Landing times and finishing 4th female overall, 1st place 25-29 female. Considering it was my 7th day straight of running (Don’t worry- I rested on Friday) and I did a speed workout the night before, I’ll take what I can get. I am hoping to improve when the weather cools down.

Images from the 2015 Race the Landing 5k Series race #3 at Charlestowne Landing in Charleston, South Carolina.

I ran 2 miles on the course to cool down, thank the volunteers, and cheer for everyone I knew who was still on the course. I saw a lot of familiar faces and all the volunteers were great- this series has the friendliest people.

The theme was Oktoberfest, so the food was German themed. The meal had a lot of meat items, so there wasn’t a whole lot I could eat this time, but the potatoes and cooked apples were good.

After everyone ate, it was time for awards- and this week’s age group awards were swords. The age group awards are five year, five people deep, so many who normally just miss out on awards at other races can earn them at Race the Landing.

Nothing beats getting a toy as an award because everyone’s inner child comes out, and we had fun sword fighting after the race.

11420049_10101084454910474_1931760956_n

It was a beautiful night for a run dedicated to Peyton, especially with the rain, rainbow, red shirts, and sword awards. I’m excited for next week’s race, which is Native American themed.

Race Name: Race the Landing 5K

Location: Charleston, SC (Charles Towne Landing State Park, West Ashley)

Date and Time: June 4, 2015, 7 PM

Terrain: Flat road, one wooden bridge, curvy course, shade.

Entry fee: $105 for 5-race series, $30 early registration, $35 late registration.

Swag: Tech shirt (blue tank) for series participants, finisher’s medal for all runners, tervis tumbler.

Post-race Food: Potatoes, cabbage, sausage, pasta with chicken, apples, some other kind of meat, Yuengling beer. Each person receives one beer ticket; you can purchase more or obtain them from non-drinkers. The finish line had freeze pops.

Weather: Sunny, 77 degrees, 83% humidity

Professional photographs in this post are courtesy of Brian Fancher Photography. Brian is a local runner and triathlete, as well as a fellow TrySports Mount Pleasant ambassador. Please consider Brian Fancher Photography for your sports, wedding, portrait, or commercial photography needs.

This entry was posted in 5Ks, Moore On Running, Race Recaps, RUN4P, West Ashley and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Race the Landing 5K #3: Oktoberfest (22:27)

1. Pam says:

How unusual that there were rainbows at the last couple races for Peyton. Congrats on another great race and yes, swords are a really cool award. I hope Abby got one too!

The sword is so fun. The cable guy came over Friday to hook up Comcast and I showed him the sword (it was sitting out on the table)… he was like that’s the coolest race award ever.

2. Anne S says:

I’m so excited for my first Race the Landing race this week! Quick question – do all runners receive the tech tank (like if they’re only running one week) or just people who run the entire series? Thanks!

The tanks are for series registrations, but if you want one, you can purchase one when you get there. Everyone who runs tomorrow night receives a dinner, sunglasses holders, and finisher’s medal (be sure to make sure you get it when you finish, sometimes people go through and get water and all and forget to grab the medal 😉 ).

• Anne S says:

Ohh ok thanks! Do you know how much they are?? Super pumped about the medal for a 5k…..

I want to say $20, at least that’s the price on the registration site.

Also, if you have not preregistered, use the code tls15 to save 15% (that might save you 15% if you want to add the shirt on too, not sure).

3. Laur says:

I might drive down for the Taste of Italy run 😉 haha! Italian food wins my heart. I hope the red sauce is meat free so you can enjoy whatever specialties are available there! 🙂 Great run for a great cause. Love it.

So I found out last night that tomorrow is Native American night. I don’t know why I thought it was Taste of Italy, but I think they had that one last year.

As long as there’s a meat free dish (or a seafood dish), I am good though :). It all beats the races that just offer bananas and bagels, right?

4. Jennifer says:

Nice recap and wonderful way to remember Peyton.

5. This looks like a great event!! Awesome job with your time and place! Woohooo!

6. Melissa says:

Great race and great training!!!
    no doubts these summer race-outs and training will pay off in the fall!
    and Amazing way to remember Peyton at this race-and no doubts the rainbows have been his way of letting us know he is watching over! I had no clue it was Peyton’s anniversary- I first heard about Peyton (and saw the red shirts)last year when I ran the bulldog race series at the citadel. I heard the story briefly and then was given Noahs web link. surprisingly I didn’t see the red shirts again until RTL last week.(I didn’t race much last year)
    Amazing what his parents have been able to accomplish through their grief. My oldest son is the same age Peyton would be now, so his story tugs at my heart a little extra…..
    I would love to get more involved with his cause-headed over to his page now!
    again,great job at the race,you are a MACHINE!!!!!!!!

It was fun seeing you, hanging out, and cooling down last night :). I know all of this will pay off for us in the Fall, it’s hard in the summer with all the crazy heat.

Most of the MooreOn crew does the same races and wears different shirts. Everyone wore a green shirt on Saturday at the Floppin Flounder (I did not, I don’t have a green shirt). Peyton has had a big crew at Race the Landing lately!

7. way to go. i’m not sure if i’ve mentioned this before but i LOVE how you write all those details on your bib after each race. so awesome. and how time to pay tribute to a special little boy.

Yup- I keep all my race numbers. When I worked at corporate, I had them all on my cubicle wall, but now I have them on a little shower hook in my office. I have a different one for each year of running and have all my race numbers except my first race!

8. backatsquarezero says:

I think the swords are by far my favorite award. They are the best.
    Peyton was such a cool kid. I feel luck I got to teach him.

9. What a great cause and what a great race! I’m so glad you got to honor Peyton in such a meaningful way.

10. Kelli says:

What a touching story about Peyton. Congrats on the great finish!

11. Jessica S. says:

I love the sword! Fun!

12. Elizabeth C. says:

Congratulations! I agree- I think that once it cools down your times will drop significantly. The important thing is that you are making progress in these so you can tell your training is paying off. And that food? Whoa. Really yummy looking!

Thanks- yeah these races have the best food. I actually think the other ones in the series were better, but I guess it just depends on what you like to eat. Still, you can’t complain with a full meal after a race. I’m glad I haven’t slowed down too much in this heat, I’m sure I’ll see the results this Fall.