Training for Summertime 5Ks (June 1-7)

Happy June and Happy Monday, everyone!

Last June was a goose-egg zero running month for me thanks to a cuboid stress reaction, so it was humbling to run more miles on June 1 than I did in June 2014. I also ran two 5K races this week- Race the Landing #3 and Floppin’ Flounder.

This week, I ran 41 miles. I also did a spin class and a sunrise yoga class.

Monday: 7 miles + 60 minutes spin

Tuesday: 5.1 miles

Wednesday: Sunrise yoga + 5 mile track workout

Thursday: 6.5 miles including Race the Landing 5K #3 (22:27)

Friday: No workout

Saturday: 7.1 miles including the Floppin Flounder 5K (22:33)

Sunday: 10.5 mile long run

On Wednesday, I hit the track in Summerville. We ran a 1 mile warmup, 1600m, 2X800m, and 4X400 m workout, followed by a 1 mile cooldown. It rained a lot and cooled things down at the track so the workout wasn’t so bad. We have a lot of fun at the track each week, and the workouts are already improving our 5K times.

11391521_10153249897386708_6284105222912637594_n

Thursday brought us another Race the Landing 5K, and the theme was Oktoberfest this week. Many of us wore red shirts in memory of Peyton Moore, who passed away two years ago on the date. Brian Fancher, the official race photographer, got an excellent picture of everyone.

11393406_1021341001211577_6345048811102192313_o

Despite not having a rest day in a week and doing a track workout the night before, I beat my previous Race the Landing times this summer (I took the next day off).

Saturday, I ran the Floppin Flounder 5K on Sullivan’s Island. The race is on the roads, not the beach, and it was hot! It wasn’t my best paced race ever, but I had fun hanging out with everyone. The Charleston Running Club did a pretty good job hosting the race, which drew over 450 runners and walkers. I ran into Christine (Into the Glimmer) at the race so it was fun catching up.

10360548_10152744301936652_8080801960923847108_n

On Sunday, I ran 10.5 miles with OnShore Racing, our Sunday morning long run group (I jokingly call it the “Church of Onshore”). It was the first hot long run of the summer for me, 81 degrees and 74% humidity- Luckily we have multiple water fountains on the route. I treated myself to a post-run slushee and a protein shake when I got home. Does anyone else have trouble eating after a hot run? I know I do sometimes.

I spent Sunday afternoon relaxing and running errands (grocery shopping) with Clay, and we watched a lot of TV. Next week brings Race the Landing #4, but first… some much needed recovery!

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Training for Summertime 5Ks (June 1-7)

1. KrisLawrence says:

Looks like you’re all recovered from the stress fracture and having a fast & fun start to summer!

2. racingtales says:

Wow, your racing volume continues to amaze me! Glad your June 2015 is shaping up to be much better than 2014.

3. Laur says:

I have a hard time eating after running period, especially in the heat. It’s really difficult because my stomach doesn’t do well with pre-race fuel, then I feel sick for like an hour after running until my body cools down. It’s really hard for me! I couldn’t imagine how hot it is down south around this time of year. Stay hydrated!!

This past weekend was the first really hot weekend. This upcoming weekend is supposed to be in the 90s, and I’m not looking forward to that but I try to run early so it’s not as big of a deal. It’s still warm early in the mornings, though.

Typically I don’t eat before my morning runs (5-7), but I usually make sure I have a decent dinner the night before. I drink a shake when I get in, and it tastes really good.

4. Jennifer says:

Mmmm post run slushie sounds great! I love the name of the race -Flopping Flounder. This week, my track workout is the same as yours from last week 😀

5. backatsquarezero says:

Wow. Lots of super hard runs. Usually I can eat right after I run, but if it is really hot liek that I have to cool down first.

6. lizlicorish says:

Congrats on busting out two races in a week! I always chug an icy cold protein shake after a hot run. It’s way more refreshing and sometimes more nutritious than solid food. I love the Organic Valley Organic Fuel shakes. 🙂

Thanks! I need to try those- I remember your blog post where you talked about them. I usually make myself one with protein powder, almond milk, and frozen bananas but I want to try the Organic Valley one (which would be awesome on the go or in a rush…)

7. TWO 5Ks and a track workout?!?! You are TOUGH, sister!! Awesome job this week! Excited to read more of your posts…that is one inspirational, badass week!