Training for Summertime 5Ks (May 11-17)

This week wasn’t all that amazing. I logged a 40 mile week on paper but it felt extremely hard. When you live in Charleston, a 40 mile week in May is a lot tougher than a 40 mile week in January.

I managed to get 6 runs in this week. I’m running while I can because I know in June, July, and August, it will be 90+ every day with high humidity and I’ll likely cut back to 5 days a week and cross train more. I don’t want to hop on the spin bike until I have to…

This week, I ran 40 miles. I also did two strength workouts and a yoga class.

Monday: 5.25 miles + Strength training (lower body)

Tuesday: Strength training (upper body)

Wednesday: 5.5 miles speedwork (400s and 800s) + sunrise yoga

Thursday: 7.1 miles, including Race the Landing 5K (22:48)

Friday: 6.1 miles

Saturday: 6.1 miles

Sunday: 10 miles

Mistake #1: I started out the week with a killer leg workout on Monday. I strength train occasionally but like most runners, I’m not serious about lifting weights. I didn’t feel like I lifted too heavy, but my legs were screaming at me Monday evening and all day Tuesday. I hardly wanted to walk let alone run.

leg-day-rage

I went to yoga Wednesday morning and my legs felt better, so I went to the track that night. We warmed up, then ran 3 sets of 400, 400, 800 repeats. Once again, it didn’t *feel* hard, and the pace on my watch didn’t indicate that I ran super hard… but I probably ran a little harder than I should’ve (Mistake #2).

Kendall from the Summerville Tri Club came out to take some pictures of us during the workout and he got some great shots.

summerville_speedwork2

After the workout, Virginia and I went to Montreux for recovery beverages. Mine’s the berry flavored one because I clearly had a lot to recover from (she did too, she had another).

11224731_10153184934236708_6091174894644211153_n

Thursday was my weekly “race-out”, the Race the Landing 5K. It’s an evening series and since it’s summer I’m not trying to PR them but use them as hard runs/workouts. I ran a 22:48 to win my age group. I ran 8 seconds slower than the previous week, but it’s okay because slow is the new fast.

I know Monday’s leg workout and Wednesday’s speedwork had a lot to do with it, but I didn’t really care about the time in the race, either. My goal is to complete all 5 series races as hard weekly workouts. After years of running, I have the morning pre-race routine down, but evening races are tough because I think about them all day and never know what to eat for lunch.

It was great hanging out with the Race the Landing regulars, too. We had 287 finishers Thursday night, and the runs are getting bigger each year and each week. I am glad we don’t have another Race the Landing until June because I need a break from Thursday evening races.

Friday and Saturday’s runs were uneventful. I thought about jumping into another 5K on Saturday but was too cheap to pay the $35 fee so I did a training run on the Greenway. I went shopping at Marshall’s and spent more than $35 on running clothes, so next time I will just race…

On Sunday, I did my usual 10 mile long run with OnShore Racing Sunday group. We had a big crowd, as usual, but I skipped brunch afterwards because I forgot a change of clothes and was so sweaty. My friend Erica asked me if I poured water on myself (I went to the car after the run), and I was like nope, this is all my sweat.

It was 77 degrees and 79% humidity when we started our run, which really isn’t *that* bad, but 10 miles is a long time to sweat.

11143379_369315993256086_6096850738846905349_n (1)

This week, I’ll hit the track again and plan to jump into a local 5K on Saturday morning, but other than that, I’m taking things day by day. I hope everyone has a good week!

This entry was posted in Race the Landing, Training Log, West Ashley and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Training for Summertime 5Ks (May 11-17)

1. Hollie says:

You look so happy running on the track. I agree about how hot and humid was last week. It was miserable up here do I cannot even imagine how how and humid it was down there. Good luck at your 5k on Saturday!

Haha I saw Kendall standing there with the camera and knew to smile! But I really was happy, I love being able to go to the track on Wednesdays and do speedwork with friends. We’re having a Charleston area “track off” in July where groups who work out at 3 different tracks in the area will meet and run different events.

I am excited for Saturday’s 5K. Weather should be nice and probably the final “not-crazy-hot” race for me. For that reason I will take it a bit easier this week on workouts.

2. Great workouts! Humidity can really sap your energy. Good luck at your race this weekend!

3. lizlicorish says:

“slow is the new fast” – I love this! It kind of is when you think about it; not every race can be a PR, but the races you run as “work outs” really pay off in the long run.

They do. I try to remember where my body is on a certain day, in a certain week, and where I am in training. Speed is something people can get a little too hung up on especially in changing seasons and training. Not every run is going to be faster than the last, you know? The temperature Thursday night was about 15 degrees warmer than last Thursday so everyone was slower. Just getting out there and “racing” right now, in the middle of a training week, will pay off this Fall when it’s cooler here.

• lizlicorish says:

I completely agree. My last race was in 90% humidity so obviously it was slower – but the fitness I gain just by getting out there on tough days is totally worth it!

Now that heat and humidity are here, I have almost given up on time goals and pace for races, and am just trying to put forth more or less effort. I’d rather run a little slower and be able to run the next day than run all out and have to take several days to recover…

• lizlicorish says:

I only count on PRs in autumn for this reason!

Yep. I usually set some PRs in winter here too, just because winter in SC doesn’t feel like winter at all :).

All this summer running will turn you into a BEAST this fall girly!

4. Melissa says:

Hi! I don’t know how I stumbled across your blog but I actually ran at the same race the landing race (#1) as you! (couldnt make #2 race) I went ahead and signed up for the series. Beautiful area and my first time at Charlestown landing! in hind sight I remember seeing you and thought you were a teenager,lol! you ARE tiny!!!!
    : )
    I live in Summerville and theres not many races going on around here, so ive been trying to branch out some within reason. I’ve been looking for a running group closer to Summerville, do you know if there are any groups that meet in this area?

hopefully I will see you at the next race the landing,
    nice to see a fellow SC runner! and yes now that summer is approaching this heat isn’t that much fun for training.
    : /
    (btw you are so right in “slow is the new fast” !!!)
    Keep up your hard work though,your doing great!
    Melissa

Awesome to hear you were at Race the Landing- you should introduce yourself before the next one (I plan to be at all of them unless something happens).

The only run group I know of in Summerville is through the YMCA but they have a lot of programs there and some fast runners.

Summerville Tri Club/OnShore Racing does speedwork on Wednesdays at 6 PM at SHS if you ever want to come, we usually run about 5 miles with 3 miles of that being intervals/speed.

• Melissa says:

Thank you!!!!! I’m going to try to make it to the track this Wednesday!
        and yes,I will introduce myself next RTL race
        : )

5. Your “slow is the new fast” comment made me LOL! Congrats on another good week. I totally agree that training in May is so much harder than January when you live in the south. Our track practice last week felt so hard, but that probably had to do with not only the heat and humidity but my weekend racing. Congrats on another AG win!

I’m not surprised it felt tough- post-race track workouts plus heat and humidity is no joke. It will make the temps feel better when it cools down a little, though.

6. Jennifer says:

Ahh you cracked me up with the “slow is the new fast”. The humidity is getting to me, but I know its something I just have to accept and move on. Good luck with your 5K on Saturday!

Yup, we all get slower as the temp gets higher, but the persistence helps when it gets cooler if you can stick with it. Thanks for the good luck wishes!

7. Gracie says:

Ah, the summer humidity! It’s the time of year where I have to wring sweat from my clothes before I put them in the wash!

Yup, I’m pretty much soaked from head to toe even after very easy runs (sometimes in the first mile). Plus packing changes of clothes and towels for the car seats for the ride home are a must now when not running from home.

8. 40 miles in a week!? That is so awesome! I would love to make that a goal one day 🙂