Training for Summertime 5Ks (April 20-26)

Not a lot to say this week. I completed the run club 50 mile week challenge (my highest weekly mileage ever) on Monday, but my runs weren’t too exciting.

11025739_10206098889978962_7165681436580468387_n

I haven’t raced since the Cooper River Bridge Run four weeks ago. This is like a personal record of non-racing (when uninjured) for me, and I feel really stale. It’s been a dry month for races in Charleston and I don’t feel like travelling. I’m saving money for future races, although I threw down some cash this week on running accessories like Yoga Toes toe stretchers. This sport’s far from cheap and easy.

This week, I ran 40 miles. I also did a strength training workout and a sunrise yoga class.

Monday: 7.15 miles easy (last day of the challenge)

Tuesday: Strength training- upper body

Wednesday: Sunrise yoga + 5.75 miles (speedwork)

Thursday: 6.4 miles (easy + fast finish)

Friday: 5.1 miles easy

Saturday: 6.4 miles *very* easy (Cooper River Bridge with Virginia and Stella)

Sunday: 10 miles with OnShore Racing. 1 mile warmup, 8 miles hard, 1 mile cooldown.

I met the Summerville Tri Club for speedwork again Wednesday night. Our workout was 400, 600, 800, 1200, 800, 600, 400. My legs felt stale from sitting all day and it was hot, but we got it done and headed to Montreux for recovery beverages. I like the track workouts and love this Berry drink at Montreux.

On Saturday, Virginia and I ran the Cooper River Bridge at a really easy pace, stopping to take pictures (of ourselves and others) and walk breaks and other fun stuff.

Then, we took Stella to see the Budweiser Clydesdale horses at Patriot’s Point. The horses have travelled all over Charleston in the past few days- from North Charleston to Mt. Pleasant to Daniel Island. We got to see them washing and feeding the horses too- it was really exciting and Stella had a great time. The Clydesdales are huge- and beautiful!

We had a massage amount of people at the OnShore Racing group run on Sunday, including a lot of first timers, but that made for a lot of pace groups and fun. I ran my usual 10 miles- 1 mile warmup, 8 miles “hard” (effort based, but I try to do as many miles as possible at half marathon pace), 1 mile cooldown.

11110269_363236457197373_7939472045535688099_n

11200623_363236360530716_6689207441969951243_n

10258754_363236390530713_4980140922581472533_n

Over 40 people came to group run, and I’m not sure how many people went to brunch at Moe’s because I headed off to get a sports massage. Then, I spent the afternoon catching up on laundry and laying by the pool. It was basically the ideal relaxing Sunday before the work week, May Day Half Marathon, and 100:Head/Heart/Feet movie.

Hope everyone has a great week!

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Training for Summertime 5Ks (April 20-26)

1. KrisLawrence says:

Congrats on the higher mileage! Something just sounds great about 50 miles. Your week looked solid. I LOVE the Clydesdale horses. We found them randomly at a store once and I was blown away by how gorgeous they were. Have a great week Amy!

I love them too! I have seen them at Busch Gardens in VA before on family trips when I was a kid, but this was my first time seeing them in years. They are so beautiful and I’m not even a big horse fan really.

2. Congrats on the 50 mile week challenge. Wow that is impressive! So what is the purpose of the yoga toe stretchers? I’m off this weekend to attempt my back to back half marathons in Indy & Cincy. Maybe toward the mid of May we can get back together for a weekend run. Good luck this week on your training.

Thanks- the challenge wasn’t too bad but I can tell my body was a bit fatigued (especially Thurs/Fri/Sat).

My massage therapist recommended the toe stretchers just to help the arches of my feet and so my toes wouldn’t get bunions. She has some and let me try them out and they are pretty cool. You just wear them around the house in the evenings or whenever, they don’t go in your shoes or anything.

3. Pam says:

Wow, I am impressed that you had a 50 mile week considering you generally train for shorter distance races. Even during my buildup to Boston I never reached 50. Your group runs always sound like so much fun, especially the stops for food and beverages afterwards. My group has one of their parties tomorrow night and I can’t wait. It’s fun to just visit and wear “real” clothing!

I probably should clarify that it wasn’t a 50 mile week, it was 50 miles in 7 days. I like to count my weeks from Mon-Sun for the recap (and since I did the challenge from Tues-Mon, my recap won’t show that I ran 50 miles).

I like to run decent mileage just in case I decide to pursue half marathons or even a marathon again. It’s easier when you have a solid base. I know I’ll run Kiawah Island Half Marathon this December, too.

4. Theresa says:

Ready to kill some more speed work this week? 🙂

5. lizlicorish says:

Wow – that looks like such a great running group! I know that “stale” feeling you’re talking about. I think, for me, the biggest benefit to racing more frequently is feeling less and less like I got hit by a truck in the days after a race! Cheers to the upcoming summer race season!

I love training runs and speedwork, and I know I get some benefits from it, but my best speedwork and prep for racing is racing a lot (I don’t give 100% in every race). I just feel stale from a lot of easier runs…

6. Sounds like a great week. What a big group, i definitely need to jump in on Sundays! Not racing from time to time is good! Your body is going to be ready to rock!

Thanks girly- yeah, you should come one Sunday. The route is 8 but I always run one lap before and one lap after because I know how fast people take off (and how it always takes me a mile or two to get into the groove of a run). Plus it might be good for ultra training if you need to get a lot of miles in, you’d have a lot of others with you that might help (I know how hard it is to run the really long ones).

7. How awesome that so many people came to your OnShore run.

Yeah, it was crazy! Sometimes I wonder how everyone finds out. Still the runs are great and you can’t beat a group run that actually occurs *in* Charleston… 🙂

8. jesssc7879 says:

I’m amazed at the amount of miles you log in a week. I don’t think I’ve ever run that much in my entire life. I’m envious! 😉

Thanks! It takes years to work up to but it’s possible. When I started running in 2009-2010 I never thought I would run 40-50 miles a week (My goal was just to run a 10K race). Eventually it becomes a part of life and it’s harder (and feels weirder) to NOT run than it is to run :).

9. Hollie says:

I’m glad you are feeling strong with 50 mile weeks. It sounds like you are doing really well. It’s funny because in NJ, April is a jam packed month for races…there are so many that I wanted to do but couldn’t.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do in your races Amy!

Thanks Hollie! Even though it was just one 50 mile week. I don’t think running that much and every single day is for me :).

You would think CHS would have more races in April… the weather is usually really nice this month before it gets super hot (and sometimes March is unpredictable here and can be cold). Of course there were only 4 Saturdays in April and one was Easter, no one has races on Easter weekend here… =/.

10. Jennifer says:

Congrats on the 50 mile week! That cartoon was hilarious. So nice to see everyone out in shorts and tank tops in your pictures – is it already incredibly humid there? How warm is it in Charleston?

It’s not too bad right now. The high today is in the 70s. On Sunday, it was 75 degrees with 74% humidity.

Shorts are year-round for running. I own running pants and only wore them once last winter. That was still one run too many. It rarely gets below freezing in Charleston.