Training for Summertime 5Ks (April 6-12)

What happened to Spring here in Charleston? It was 80 degrees or above on all my weekday runs, and while 80 degrees isn’t hot, it *is* hot for early April. With the heat, I took it easy most days.

It looks like racing weather is over and survival season is upon us in Charleston, but I’ll hold out that we have a coldfront on a random Thursday night or Saturday morning where I happen to race a 5K.

I was also a lone wolf runner all week and only ran once with others. Thankfully, it was the most important training run of the week- the speed workout. I had a lot going on this week and it never worked out for me to run with my friends and training partners. Brian and Ashley, our college friends from Columbia, visited this weekend, so we went out for Mexican and margaritas on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday morning.

This week, I ran 44 miles. I also did a yoga class and one strength training workout.

Monday: Strength training (lower body)

Tuesday: 6.2 miles (easy + strides)

Wednesday: Sunrise Yoga + 5.3 miles (track/speedwork)

Thursday: 8.6 miles (easy)

Friday: 6.2 miles (easy)

Saturday: 11.1 miles (long run)

Sunday: 6.5 miles (easy/recovery)

Since I stopped BodyPump (instructor change), Clay and I went to the gym together on Monday morning and both of us did a lower body/leg workout. Clay showed me some exercises and I used a lot of free weights and only a few machines. I’m not a fan of gym machines because they isolate muscles and even adjusted to the lowest setting, sometimes the machines don’t fit my body well.

My reason for strength training is not to change how my body looks, build muscle, or make “gainz”- I strength train to stay injury-free and because it’s important for women’s bone strength as we age. I perform a lot of reps and don’t lift extremely heavy weights, and my presence in that area of the gym just screamed clueless distance runner. I was glad Clay was at the gym, otherwise I would be “gym-timidated”.

Since I lifted, I didn’t run on Monday and the first few miles of my Tuesday run were pretty sore. Ouch. But… I took my New Balance Fresh Foam Zante shoes for a test run and they were great. This is my first pair of New Balance, but I love them so far.

The Summerville Tri Club set up a speedwork night, so on Wednesday, I met up with them at the Gahagan Park track. Our workout was a ladder- 800, 400, 200, 200, 400, and 800. The track isn’t lined and is around the small fry football practice field, and it is a little short, so we had to run beyond the finish to hit the distances. The workouts are moving to the high school in a few weeks, which means correct distances and faster runs on a real track.

Running intervals with others was a lot of fun, and all my paces were faster than when I run intervals on the roads by myself. After the workout, some of us went to Montreaux for recovery beverages and appetizers.

summerville_speedwork

Aside from speedwork, the rest of my runs were easy-peasy. I mostly ran in the neighborhood, which gets monotonous and there’s not much to see here (I live in a suburb on the edge of a rural area). Driving to the local coffee shop, running from there, and post-run coffee is starting to look really appealing.

It’s supposed to rain a LOT this week, so maybe I’ll cut my training back. Or maybe not- I like food too much. Happy running!

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Training for Summertime 5Ks (April 6-12)

1. “Gym-timidated” – such excellent terminology!

2. Now you know we don’t have spring in the south anymore! 🙂 Looks like you had a good week, congrats! I had a slacker/recovery week myself, but got back to back 12s this weekend for my final tune up before my back to back half marathons on May 2 & 3!

3. mrskoutlaw says:

I love those shoes! Talk about a workout plan for inspiration!

Thanks. I don’t really plan my training (although I pretty much always strength train on Mondays and do yoga on Wednesdays, because that’s when my gym offers yoga). I mostly strive to get in 5-6 days of running, including at least one speed workout and a long run, to stay fresh for 5K-half.

4. christine says:

No spring for us! We went straight to summer! Hey there, humidity. Good workouts this week! And I hear about the neighborhood monotony. I had to take it to the beach this weekend because the thought of another neighborhood run was so unappealing it almost made me decide not to run.

Humidity was crazy today so I opted to rest and just lift instead of running. Plus, I missed my window of time to run away from the neighborhood early this morning and I just could not stand to run in the ‘hood yet again.

5. Hollie says:

That is how our Spring is now. At first the weather was reeling and all of a sudden it became a heat box. I tried those New Balance shoes but they are a little to narrow for me. They def seem fun though!

Yeah, I can see where those shoes are narrow compared to the Nimbus or the Triumph. I have pretty narrow feet so I was fine with them but I’ve read online reviews where people said they had to order wide when they don’t in other brands.

The weather has been a little cooler the past day or two, fortunately! No 80s since Friday!

6. lizlicorish says:

I love those shoes! I have seen a lot of hype about the fresh foam shoes – I’ll be interested to hear more about how they’re working for you! I hope it’s not scorching hot for your next race. It’s been pretty mild here, but I’m sure the suffer temps will be here soon enough. 🙂

I’ll admit, I gave in to the hype. I read the Zante review on Believe in the Run blog (they review a lot of shoes). I had to purchase online since my local running store does not carry them, so I bought from Running Warehouse since they offer free returns and shipping… but I won’t be returning. I’ve run in them 6-7 times now.

7. Pam says:

Oh I also can get intimidated at the gym because I am a clueless runner. I have some set things that I do, but use lower weights and the Bosu ball most of the time. Our weather has not hit the 80’s yet, but hopefully we have a little more spring before our running sweatfest summer. That being said, I don’t hate the heat anymore, and just plan to swim after a run when it is so hot outside!

It’s been cooler this week, fortunately. Just rain and humidity. It’s supposed to storm some, but I hope that doesn’t happen because I’ll run in rain but I won’t run in a thunderstorm (that is dangerous). I don’t want to hit the treadmill!

8. Laur says:

I cannot believe it is already this warm outside. It makes me nervous for what is to come in the next few months! It’s better than snow, though, so I’ll take the heat any day. haha! “Gym-timidation” is hard to get over, but once I got to college and had to work out at dark o’clock with the football team… I just stopped caring haha!

I think working out with a team or fellow athletes would be even more “gym-timidating”. My gym is mostly regular people who just want to be healthy, but some of them happen to be pretty good at lifting weights… :).

It gets hot here in SC. Everyone’s race times and training runs slow down. Some runners complain, most of us have faith and know we’ll have our speed back when it’s cooler (plus more). After being injured for most of last summer, I’m kind of excited for some hotter runs- once I’m used to the heat. Getting used to it is what’s hard.

9. Ah! Those Zante’s are amazing right?! When we got them in the store I immediately had to get my hands on a pair of them…such a comfy yet cushioned shoe!

10. Gracie says:

We’re getting all kinds of rain here, too – no running for me!

11. Amazing mileage. And yes, where did spring go?