Training for Summertime 5Ks (March 30- April 5)

I wasn’t sure what to title this blog post today, as I’m not training for any specific event, and most races longer than a 5K are done for the season. The only race I’m registered for right now is the May Day Half Marathon, which I’ll use as a glorified long run since the roads aren’t closed and it’s more of a reason to party than a race.

All races are an excuse to socialize and celebrate, but especially May Day. You can read my 2013 review and 2014 review to learn more.

Mayday_marathon6_thumb.jpg

Without any serious races on the horizon and the summer 5K series (Race the Landing and Thirsty Thursday) pretty far out, this week was uneventful as far as specific workouts go; I just logged base mileage. I was happy to see 40 since my last few weeks have been lower.

This week, I ran 40 miles. I also did a yoga class and one strength training workout.

Monday: No workout.

Tuesday: 6.2 miles easy.

Wednesday: Sunrise Yoga + 5 miles easy (tired).

Thursday: 6.4 miles easy (still tired) at TrySports Run Club.

Friday: Neighborhood speedwork. 3.1 miles easy, 4 x 400, 2.1 mile easy (6.2 miles total). Finally feeling recovered from the Bridge Run.

Saturday: 6.3 miles easy + strength training (upper body).

Sunday: 1 mile warmup, 8 miles with OnShore Run Club, 1 mile cooldown.

I felt tired a lot this week since I was recovering from the bridge run. I wanted to eat everything in sight, and I drank protein shakes and foam rolled each day to help me recover. My wonky hip (TFL/glute/piriformis) hasn’t given me any issues in the past two weeks, so hopefully I’m beyond that.

Hindsight is always 20/20, and I probably should’ve taken more than one day off running after a 10K PR and a few other races in March. Alas, taking days off is easier said than done.

On Wednesday, I volunteered at a beer mile one mile race at the Bridge to Nowhere, which is exactly what it sounds like, a bridge that ends with a “Road Closed” sign over the Cooper River. The bridge was supposed to connect to a development that ran out of money five years ago, but it’s a perfect, straight, .25 mile bridge. I took pictures and worked at the race registration table.

The weather was beautiful, and our mile race had its own food truck and plenty of fun to go around. Race a mile, party like a marathon.

I felt recovered on Friday, so I did a short speed workout,  4 quarter-mile sprints down a side street in my neighborhood. After my run, Virginia and Stella came over and we had lunch from Ladle’s Soups (one of my favorite soup, sandwich, and salad shops in Charleston) then spent the afternoon at the pool.

It was 80 degrees, I was off work for Good Friday, and pool days are the best way to spend days off.

11096456_10153090847636708_3854946589488939981_n

Sunday, I ran a total of 10 miles, including 8 “hard” miles with the OnShore Sunday Run Club. Our usual Sunday breakfast place was closed for Easter, so we headed to Fuel Caribbean Cantina for brunch and ate outside on the patio.

Fuel Caribbean Cantina was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, and I had the sautéed shrimp salad. It wasn’t what Guy Fieri ate, but the avocado gave the salad a creamy flavor and the shrimp were perfectly cooked.

Holidays in general depress me and Easter is no exception. I woke up on Easter Sunday missing my family (especially my grandma who passed away in 2005), celebrations, and being a kid. I had a good cry on Sunday afternoon, but in the end, I’m grateful for the friends Clay and I have made and that Charleston is home. Even if I had to force myself out the door, I’m glad I ran and went out to brunch.

11102724_354577048063314_4040101075201748706_n

Here’s to another training week down and returning to post-holiday normalcy!

This entry was posted in OnShore Racing, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Training for Summertime 5Ks (March 30- April 5)

1. How do you get to the bridge to nowhere? I need to check this out!

2. Laur says:

Holidays are rough in our house, too, since my Mommom passed away. I understand where you are coming from and I am so happy you went to brunch. It is easy to let ourselves fall into our own sympathy instead of battling it. It’s hard, but you made it! ❤

Thanks- I think we all expect holidays to be like we see on TV, and it’s so unrealistic. That and remembering our childhoods and things like that, I guess I get really sentimental sometimes. I’m a social runner and extrovert, so getting out usually makes me feel a lot better.

3. Pam says:

I am so sorry you had a rough day on Sunday Amy. I remember our first Christmas away from family when I was 22 years old and it was so hard! I cried alot, but luckily we got together with friends and made the best of it. Stella is a darling little girl and what fun to spend time at the pool. I just came inside from sitting out reading for a couple hours. I love springtime weather but the pollen not so much!

The pollen here is crazy. I drove through the drive-thru car wash today and my car is *still* covered. You just can’t get it all off unless you hand wash I guess. I don’t have allergies but I think it has affected my running and breathing lately- just makes for poor air quality. Sounds like you had a great afternoon though!

4. allieksmith says:

Holidays are definitely different for me, too, since getting married. My family went away for Thanksgiving and I really missed them and how it used to be when I was growing up, so I understand. I’m glad you’re back to normal 🙂

Your Caribbean shrimp salad looks great! I have yet to eat at any restaurant Guy Fieri has went to on DDD (unless he’s been to Primanti Bros.?!), but I hope to some day! Also, I am so jealous you got to hang out by the pool and that it was 80*!! Pool days are probably a good two months away for me… darn!

Thanks Allie! Guy has been to many places here in Charleston (Maybe he stops at multiple restaurants near the same city for filming, and they just air at different times?). He’s been to several of our favorites and so have other Food Network/Cooking Channel shows. The shrimp salad was great but it wasn’t my favorite, but I eat them at most restaurants so I can be a little picky, I guess. It’s not what Guy had, but maybe I’ll figure out what he ate and try that sometime.

The high temps here are in the 80s all week, so it’s perfect pool weather. But, I’m working all week and extremely busy each day after work, so hoping for a nice weekend!

5. I have never heard of this bridge to nowhere. So funny.
    Race the Landing is next on my calender too.

You can see it from I-26 but I never noticed until someone pointed it out to me. It’s pretty easy to find, right by the exit onto Rutledge.

I’ll probably run at least another race before RTL. I’m eyeing a few.

6. Jennifer says:

The Bridge to Nowhere sounds funny – for some reason it reminded me of the Truman Show. The salad looks good! The Washington Post had an article today about the Charleston food scene, you may enjoy reading it.

I’ll have to check out that article. A lot of the same places are always profiled with our food scene, but sometimes new ones hit the radar and occasionally somewhere I like to eat (i.e., affordable and close to the ‘burbs) pops up on the national food scene when it’s on TV or in one of those articles. DC had some good food too- lots more diversity there than here.

7. lizlicorish says:

Easter is really tough for me too. I’m glad you got to go for a run and brunch! (That salad looks simply amazing!) I like to celebrate every holiday with a run (even Thanksgiving when I mostly have waddle).