Training for the All American Marathon (Feb 16-22)

After running for a few years, you learn that no week of training is ever perfect. Whether it’s a niggle, crazy weather, or the struggle bus of real life, you learn to take what your body gives you and do the best you can that day.

Life and running are all about adapting. I adapted this week with lots of yoga.

aam_ambassador_small

My next half marathon is the All American (Half) Marathon on March 22 in Fayetteville, NC. If you’d like to run it, use the discount code 5AMB2015 to save 10% off the registration fee. I’m a race ambassador and it seems like it’ll be a nice excuse for a girls getaway, as tons of people from Charleston are running it.

While the race is called the All American Marathon, there is a half marathon for those of us who are only half crazy- or also training for the Cooper River Bridge Run on March 28.

This week, I ran 39 miles and did a BodyPump class, a Warm Power yoga class, and a BodyFlow class.

Monday: 1 Hour BodyPump + 7.15 miles easy.

Tuesday: 4.5 miles, including 2-mile tempo.

Wednesday: AM: 5.2 miles easy, PM: Warm Power yoga.

Thursday: BodyFlow.

Friday: No workout.

Saturday: 12 miles easy.

Sunday: 10.2 miles with OnShore Run Club.

Tuesday’s tempo run went really well. I’m in a training program for the Cooper River Bridge Run, and we meet for tempo runs, intervals, and bridge repeats on Tuesday nights. The program has a fun group an an awesome coach, Howie. I signed up for the training program in the Fall and have improved in every distance (5K-half marathon). After running consistently for a couple of years, then being injured this summer, seeing improvements again is fun.

I ran the first mile of my tempo in 7:09, a bit speedy because I shoot for 10K pace (7:12-7:14ish). I usually fade on the way back, but I stayed focused, kicked it in, and ran the second mile in 7:09. It was my fastest 2-mile tempo- and I wasn’t exhausted at the end. Best run of the week.

It’s Howie’s birthday, so happy birthday to Howie! Let’s hope he enjoys a great beer and a great run today. He jokes that he’s getting older and slower, but he still owns speedy PRs and places in his age group. He’s a great coach and motivator, and tempo runs work.

Wednesday’s easy run brought hip/glute/back pain- the same pain I experienced in the winter when I was training for the Charleston Half Marathon. It wasn’t horrible, but enough to change my training for the week. Originally, I planned to run the Ashley Ridge Fox Trot 5K on Saturday, but decided not to register in advance due to the hip niggle. After not running Thursday or Friday, I felt well enough to run, but entering a 5K wasn’t in my best interest.

10670150_834444326618125_7123199766577690638_n

If you can enter a timed event, pin on a number, and run and truly not care one bit about your time, that’s fine. As a competitive person by nature (competitive with myself, not other runners), that is not a skill I possess. I do plenty of easy runs where I don’t care about time or pace, but not a race. I don’t always give 100%, because I race a lot, but I push myself more than I would running alone or with a friend.

The Ashley Ridge 5K is a flat, fast, certified course. I ran it 2 years ago, and I knew I would not be able to hold back if I entered the race. Part of being a disciplined runner is knowing when to train but also knowing when to hold back. Not sure if I was on the brink of a PR or an injury, and with more races on the calendar, I opted out of the 5K.

The risk was worth more than the reward, and I joined Virginia for an easy long run on the Sawmill Branch Trail. Our 12 miles went well and my hip was fine- the yoga, foam rolling, and days off helped, and I’m glad I took them.

On Sunday, I ran 10.2 miles with the OnShore Sunday Run Club. It wasn’t the workout I wanted, but I’m thankful I could run and explore a beautiful city, with fun people and warm weather. I enjoyed the run and company.

8959_339940082860344_4610472241803564057_n

This week, I’ll be travelling for work and possibly racing on Saturday, so I’ll take it a little easier on the mid-week workouts to focus on work and give myself a break. After averaging about 40 mpw for the past 4 weeks, I really need it.

This entry was posted in All American Marathon, Cooper River Bridge Run, Training Log and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Training for the All American Marathon (Feb 16-22)

1. Hey Amy! I’m glad that your workouts are still going well, and even when they don’t go as planned, it’s great to see that you’re making them work and you’re still succeeding!

Wow, March 22nd doesn’t seem that too far away now. Are you going to make it a girls getaway, then? What all are you planning to do then? 🙂

It’s so weird seeing people in shorts and tank tops this time of year. Those clothes don’t quite exist up here yet. We’re currently at -3 right now with a wind chill of -30, I think. We’re getting up to 7 degrees today though. 🙂

Good luck with the rest of your training!

Thanks… I was planning to head up with a friend, but now she has to go out of town (to another state), so I’m really not sure.

All of us wore shorts and tank tops yesterday! I wore short sleeves and felt overdressed bc it was 70 at the end of the run. Yet tomorrow, freezing rain is predicted. Yikes. I can’t imagine negative temps or 7 degrees.

2. christine says:

Probably was a good call to skip the race. Better to miss a race (especially one that’s not a goal race) than get injured. I completely understand race day competitiveness. I’m out there to kick my own ass every single time. I can’t put on a bib and just run it easy, unless I’m pacing someone else. That was a big reason I stopped a lot of racing when I was pregnant. It wasn’t fun to get slower with every race!

These spring half marathons are creeping up fast! Just a few more weeks until yours. I’m sure you’ll do awesome. Your training is solid, smart, and consistent.

I think some races are easier to “run easy” than others. A local 5K with 70-80 people and a 3-loop course is really hard to “just run”, unlike an event race or a really big race with lots of sights to see, spectators, costumes, etc. I actually paced a friend in a smaller race and that wasn’t really hard since I focused all my energy on pacing him. In fact, that race was a part of a longer run so it helped me to slow down a bit.

I love to do sightseeing runs downtown and run for the joy of it. Those are called “easy days” :). None of us are getting paid to run, so we’re all doing this for fun. But I won’t pay for an event and just not care about time at all. That’s not me.

3. Theresa says:

HA. I didn’t run the 5k for a very similar reason – after the marathon I just wasn’t feeling it, and wanted to make sure I got to the chiropractor beforehand, which I wasn’t able to do. I considered running it “for run”, but I’m too competitive for that. 🙂

4. It sounds like you had a great week, Theresa, and I’m glad you decided to take it easy so that your body could rest up and repair; I’ve had those hip/glute problems and, other than regular PT & exercises, rest has been the key for me in between tough races/workouts. You’re going to do great at the All American! Thanks so much for linking up with the blog this week; hope yours is off to a great start!

5. laurenruns says:

Great job on training — I love how an “on track” speed workout makes us feel so good! Keep up with your PT and glute exercises!

6. Jennifer says:

How I envy your run group with tanks and tees 🙂 Summer will be here soon enough and I will be complaining about the heat ahha. Nice week of training – 40 mpw for the past 4 weeks is impressive.

Freezing rain is predicted for tomorrow morning in Charleston…. I still ran in shorts and a t-shirt today. Good times.

I’ve successfully kept it pretty close to 40 since Charleston (I did rest for a few days after Charleston, so one recovery week). This week will be easier, as it is time for a recovery week.

7. Very smart to listen to your body. Where is the sawmill branch trail?

8. LilMysNinja says:

Great week! I have a friend that’s a race ambassador for the All American Marathon and she is doing the marathon. It’s the same weekend as the Palmetto 200 so I won’t be doing that race. Great job on your tempo run! After this marathon, I want to start focusing on improving my speed for the half marathon distance so I’m looking forward to some tempo runs and speed intervals. 🙂
    Smart on listening to your body!