Training for the Race of Life (Jan 26 – Feb 1)

Like the title? That’s what you title a blog post when you have multiple races coming up.

I felt pretty recovered from the Charleston Half Marathon, so I kicked my mileage up. Since I have 3 races on back-to-back Saturdays in February (and may need to take an extra recovery day or two), I wanted a solid week. I also went back to BodyPump and started speedwork again this week, so I was feelin’ it.

stl15a

I signed up for a small, cheap race here in town on Saturday- the Save the Light half marathon. It was only $45 and includes a shirt, finisher’s medal, and poster of the Folly Beach lighthouse. Lots of my friends from the Moore On Running group, as well as my friend David who blogs at DoomBuggyRunner. My only goal is to run smarter than Charleston, where I started too fast.

This week, I ran 44 miles and did 2 BodyPump classes.

Monday: BodyPump + 7.3 miles.

Tuesday: 4.5 miles (mile repeats)

Wednesday: BodyPump + 5 miles.

Thursday: 11.6 miles (6.8 mile run downtown + bridge, followed by 4.8 mile brew run downtown).

Friday: No workout.

Saturday: 7.5 miles.

Sunday: 8 miles.

Monday’s run was easy and around downtown. I ran 5.3 miles with Steve, who’s recovering from injury and running the Myrtle Beach Half in a few weeks. Running is more about presence than pace and I always enjoy running with friends.

Tuesday was stressful with a busy workday and family issues. When it rains, it pours… and floods downtown Charleston. I worked a little later than usual and went to the MUSC Wellness Center for bridge run training, where we did mile repeats. We ran two repeats, and both were just over 7:00 min/mile pace.

It’s a sad life when mile repeats are the best part of your day. Thankfully, everything turned out okay with the stressful issues.

Thursday, I headed downtown a little early for some miles, including the Cooper River Bridge (I ended up running 11.6 total). I made it back to The Alley with 2 minutes to spare, just enough time to take a picture before the TrySports Brew Run started. TrySports Mt Pleasant has partnered with The Bridge 105.5 radio station and Michelob Ultra to host a traveling group run with giveaways and specials every Thursday night until the end of March.

1505204_10204626515359972_6951070259614546716_n

On Sunday, I went to the OnShore group run, and my goal wasn’t to run with someone the whole time or try to hang onto a pace, but to start and finish close to the same pace… a pace fairly close to my half marathon pace.

I ran 8 miles, and my splits were 7:51, 7:49, 7:46, 7:48, 7:45, 7:44, 7:55, and 7:50.

church_of_onshore_2115

Sunday’s 8-miler was the perfect run to practice pacing before Save the Light, and I recovered with a delicious stack of white chocolate chip macadamia nut pancakes at Moe’s Crosstown Tavern. Props to Moe’s for taking care of 30+ sweaty runners every Sunday. The company is great and the pancakes are delicious.

I hope everyone has a great week!

This entry was posted in Half Marathon, Training Log, TrySports Ambassador and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Training for the Race of Life (Jan 26 – Feb 1)

1. Now that’s a fun filled training week! Good luck on your upcoming races!

2. See you on Saturday!!!

3. KrisLawrence says:

Glad to see you are recovering so well but sorry to hear it was a stressful week. Good thing you were able to get some miles in to get some run relief. Hope you are having a great week this go round!

4. Hollie says:

Nice to see you bouncing back but wow talk about stress. I like to run in the morning to decompress myself.

Yeah, someone I know had a health issue, but fortunate is okay.

Usually in the summer and hotter months, I run in the morning. Lately I’ve been either sleeping in or doing group fitness classes in the morning. My Tuesday bridge run thing is in the afternoon and with the Thursday afternoon brew runs, I’ve just opted for afternoon lately, at least on weekdays.

5. Jennifer says:

Awesome title to the post. What a great price for a half! Good luck!

Yep, it’s a pretty no-frills half but I’m cool with that. I tend to like those races better anyway. I’m training for the bridge run and for a half marathon so I’m not sure which to put in the title, haha.

6. Laur says:

Okay, out of all of this I just have to say I’m glad you’re having good runs post half marathon. Also, pancakes. OMG. Pancakes. I want them right now. haha!

Moe’s has the BEST pancakes! It’s what I order every Sunday morning when I go, unless they have a vegetarian quiche, but even then… sometimes I get pancakes.

7. Good job with your paces onSaturday’s run.

8. Awesome week, so glad you are feeling recovered.

9. Sarah says:

Lots of good stuff for your training week, and I’m happy to hear you are feeling recovered and ready to get back to it! Have fun with you multiple weekends of races, that is a lot of fun back to back like that, though definitely challenging as well. 🙂

Thanks- a lot of people don’t like to race back to back, but I do (granted I usually race shorter distances). I find that if I race a lot, I just race better… I don’t try to PR at every single race, some of them, especially 5Ks, I will do it more as a workout like a tempo run. It’s just fun to run hard and fast!

10. christine says:

Those pancakes. Oh my. Someday I’ll make it back out to the Sunday run with the OnShore group! Moe’s! Yum.

11. Run To Munch says:

Great week of running and boy do i really want some pancakes now.

12. Pam says:

What a great week and those pancakes are making me hungry for something sweet right now. But after a 10 night cruise, and 12 day vacation, I am skipping goodies until I feel like I have lost my “cruise baby” I only gained 2 pounds, but I feel so flabby at the moment…no fun!