Recovery Week Training Log (Jan 19-25)

After Saturday’s big PR at the Charleston Half Marathon, I took a recovery week.

I hadn’t taken more than 1 day off in a week since September, and I needed a break before I start training for 8 weeks for the All American Half Marathon and Cooper River Bridge Run.

40-48 miles a week isn’t super high when training for a half marathon, but once you string so many of those weeks together (and add in other activities like BodyPump and yoga), your body gets worn down. I skipped speedwork and strength training classes, did easy runs, and an extra rest day.

This week, I enjoyed lots of celebrations. My friend Jessica and I visited Gala Desserts in West Ashley, where we caught up on life, ate dessert, and drank delicious coffee- because life’s too short not to drink tasty coffee and eat dessert. Gala just opened recently, and I saw lots of other desserts I wanted to try- so I’m sure we’ll go back soon.

Jessica and I forgot to take a picture at Gala, so here’s a throwback shot of us from the 2014 Charleston Marathon; she ran the marathon and I did the half. It was so cold that day!

1549276_10202151665504585_1258633027_n.jpg

Tuesday night, Clay and I attended a Yelp Elite event at an Italian restaurant downtown called Indaco. We had cocktails, pizza, appetizers, and lots of fellowship with other Charleston Elites. Yelp Elite is a program that rewards locals who contribute lots of photos and reviews to yelp with exclusive events. Indaco was pretty tasty, and the general manager came around to talk to everyone. I’d definitely consider it again for a nice dinner downtown.

This week, I ran 30.2 miles and did a hot yoga class. Here’s how it went:

Monday: No workout.

Tuesday: 3.2 miles easy in the neighborhood. Legs felt heavy.

Wednesday: Hot yoga class.

Thursday: 10 miles. 8 miles solo on the Cooper River Bridge, followed by 2 miles Couch to 5K.

Friday: No workout.

Saturday: 9 miles (easy) on the bike path near my house.

Sunday: 8 miles (long tempo) with OnShore Run Club.

Wednesday, I joined some friends to try hot yoga for the first time. I bought a Groupon for Charleston Community Yoga that gave me 10 classes for under $40. I usually go for more relaxing yoga classes, but hot yoga was a nice way to change it up. I wouldn’t practice hot yoga on a regular basis, but I’d go back with friends sometime. Charleston Community Yoga also offers gentler classes, which I plan to use for post-race (or post tempo run) recovery.

On Thursday, I ran 8 miles over the bridge and felt recovered from the half. After my run, I saw where Noah Moore was leading the Charleston Running Club group run and Couch to 5K. It’s hard to turn down a chance to run with Noah. Since I was already there and sweaty, I stuck around and did Couch to 5K.

DSCN7555.jpg

Friday morning was spent in urgent care. Clay was lighting his Big Green Egg to smoke pork and opening the bottom vent when the lid fell. The metal handle hit his head. Clay got 9 stitches and a tetanus shot. I wasn’t leaving my husband to run or work out- he didn’t have a concussion but not taking any chances with a head injury.

We had some friends over that night and stayed up late playing Cards Against Humanity. Clay still smoked the pork; the stitches would not defeat him.

10917389_330811660439853_8606238295963638536_n

I ran the usual 8 miles with OnShore Run Club on Sunday. After the run, I had Heath Bar pancakes at Moe’s Crosstown Tavern. The pancakes were some of the best I’ve ever had at Moe’s, and I hope they bring them back. It was a daily special.

I hope everyone had a great week!

This entry was posted in Avondale/West Ashley, Charleston Food, Training Log, West Ashley, Yelp, Yoga and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Recovery Week Training Log (Jan 19-25)

1. Kristin says:

Wow, sounds like another great week of running! Great job!! Have a fabulous week! XOXO

2. Hollie says:

Sounds like you had a really great recovery week especially with that 10 miler. I do enjoy my pancakes and I would certainly try those!

Thanks girly, the pancakes were delicious. The 10-miler was great; my legs felt fresh for the first 8 of it (it was all the rest!) and the last 2 were just social and fun.

3. Jennifer says:

What a fun/nice recovery week! I must have said “how cool” or “neat” after reading each section. The Gala dessert and pancakes look delicious. How scary that your husband had to get stitches, an evening of smoke pork and cards of humanity (I played for the first time this year) sounds like a good time.

It sounds like you recovered well too, and good luck training for Shamrock (which looks super fun, btw). Cards Against Humanity is the best- we own almost all the expansion packs and the 90s one is really, really fun. We love hosting game nights to play, although this one was kinda stressful as we had a rough day. We also had a leak in the kitchen sink and had to replace the faucet on Saturday. It was just a crazy weekend.

4. Kara says:

OMG poor Clay! I hope he’s doing okay. How horrible!

I need to start doing longer runs back-to-back like you – I feel like it would make me so much stronger. My weekly mileage has been super weak :/

P.S. Isn’t Cards Against Humanity fun?!

5. Sarah says:

Uhm first off, congratulations on your big PR! That’s awesome, super happy for you 🙂 Recovery weeks are always a good thing especially when pushing, pushing, and pushing for an extended period. I’m glad you did that and feel good! Ugh, poor Clay, that blows. I hear you head injuries are nothing to take lightly!

6. harveylisam says:

9 stitches! My goodness! Glad he’s okay 🙂

7. Congrats on the half marathon! Ouch, so sorry to hear about your hubby’s stitches! I have always wanted to try one of those Yelp events. They look like so much fun. I guess I need to start using Yelp..lol

8. Oh man, I’m drooling over those pancakes!

They were pretty amazing. Moe’s Crosstown Tavern has the best pancakes in town. I always just order 2 pancakes and it fills me up, I don’t bother with the bacon and eggs since I don’t eat bacon anyway.

9. I think 40-48 miles is a lot.
    Mine are more like 16 – 20.
    Hope Clay is feeling better.

I only hit 48 that one week, mainly because it was Christmas week so I was off work for 3 days and had nothing to do but run (lol). Plus I had to run a 16 with a friend that week. It’s really hard NOT to hit 40 miles per week when you’re running 6 days a week.

Clay’s doing a lot better now. Stitches come out tomorrow. I’m grateful all was okay.

10. allieksmith says:

Awwm poor Clay! I hope he is feeling better! Injuries like that always stink because they are so unexpected and random. Poor guy!!

I’m glad you had a good recovery week and are all geared up to train some more!