Training for the Charleston Half Marathon (Jan 12-18, Race Week)

It’s race week, guys!

10418505_10152210630218193_2089093529958037129_n_thumb.jpg

I cut back on mileage this week, but I still ran my usual six days. You shouldn’t change anything on race week, so I stuck with what works.

It worked well, as I PRed the Charleston Marathon Half Marathon. I ran 13.45 miles in 1:44:58.

The police took a wrong turn onto Rutledge Avenue instead of Ashley Avenue, so everyone ran an extra two blocks. My GPS watch said my half marathon time was 1:42:23, which means I met my B goal of finishing under 1:45, and *almost* met my A goal of finishing under 1:42.

B7lCYtdCAAEnkaD

And now, the regularly schedule workout recap.

Monday: AM BodyPump + 3 miles. It was cloudy, but the humidity was high and it reminded me of summer!

Tuesday: 3.2 miles. Warmup, two 1/2 mile intervals, cooldown.

Wednesday: AM BodyPump + 7 miles, including 5 miles downtown with Steve, Richie, and Kaitlin. We did some surges/sprints down Queen Street.

Thursday: 4 miles. 2 mile warmup, 4 x 400s, 1 mile cooldown.

Friday: No workout.

Saturday: 13.5 miles. Charleston Half Marathon and a new PR! I’ll write a full recap later this week.

Sunday: 5 mile recovery run.

Total: 36 miles of running and 2 BodyPump classes.

I started speedwork again Tuesday night. I’m in a program through MUSC geared toward preparing us for the Cooper River Bridge Run in March. Since it was the first night, everyone warmed up, ran two 1/2 mile intervals, then cooled down. It was cold and rainy, and with a half marathon coming up, I took it easy on the intervals.

On Wednesday and Thursday, I did some short speedwork to keep the legs moving for Saturday, but I still kept the run shorter than usual. Last week, I discovered that one of the side streets in my neighborhood is almost exactly .25 miles from the stop sign to the last mailbox. The street doesn’t have much traffic, so it’s perfect for throwing a few intervals at the end of a run.

1506521_328175894036763_1330821011380292359_n (1)

On Sunday, I went to OnShore Run Club, and while my training partners (and most run clubbers) ran 8 miles, I just ran a 5 mile recovery run. We had a big crowd for Run Club and also for brunch at Moe’s Crosstown Tavern, where I had a delicious vegetarian quiche.

Next week will be a recovery week. I’ve been training since September without even two consecutive days off. 40 miles in a week isn’t high mileage, but I strung four months of hard training weeks together, then set a half marathon PR, so my body needs a break.

I hope everyone had a great week. Congratulations to those who ran one of the Charleston Marathon races this weekend, or any races in other cities!

This entry was posted in Charleston Marathon, Half Marathon, Training Log and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Training for the Charleston Half Marathon (Jan 12-18, Race Week)

1. LilMysNinja says:

I heard about the wrong turn. I saw them post on their FB that they’ll adjust everyone’s time. That’s pretty cool of them especially if some are using it as a qualifier. Hope it works out for everyone in the end.

Great job and can’t wait to read your recap!

I’m not sure about all the technicalities of qualifying for Boston and if an adjusted time helps or not? Obviously I am not at the level of ever qualifying, but I wonder if would accept an “adjusted time”. But… I trust the Charleston Marathon organizers know what they are doing and that they are doing the best things for the runners. Many of the people on the race staff are runners, and some have run Boston, so I am sure they make decisions with that in mind.

The extra .3 isn’t a huge deal to me. I would rather it be accidentally long than short. I feel cheated on short courses (but I wasn’t running a marathon and trying to qualify for Boston, either).

• LilMysNinja says:

I have ran a course that was advertised as a 5k but my Garmin clocked 2.9 miles instead and i definitely felt cheated on the distance. It was a free run and no “official results” or time so it wasnt a big deal. 🙂

2. Amy says:

Congrats on your PR, but sorry you had to run the two extra blocks. Sounds like the organizers are trying to fix the mistake, which is really nice of them. Even still, you got a killer time! All your hard training paid off. I cannot imagine PR-ing during a January race, but that is all climate-related 🙂

They are- the organizers work super hard with this race and they do a GREAT job. I will run it next year, and participate every year, as well as encouraging others to do so.

I can’t imagine PRing anytime other than Fall/Winter here in SC. It gets crazy hot in the summer, but running in that heat and humidity actually helps for Fall PRs.

3. Elizabeth C. says:

WOW- that is so fantastic about your race. I totally understand the feeling of not getting “credit” for the actual amount run and the faster pace. But it sounds like you KNOW you got your 1:42:xx and that’s really what counts. I hope you post a thorough race report.

I’ll have a race recap up when I get around to writing it. I write for a living so it always takes a few days since I have to do it after work when I’ve already been writing all day ;).

My GPS watch said it was a PR, so it was a PR! Plus it was significantly faster than the last one anyway. I’ve had a big improvement since Nov. 8.

4. nevie b. says:

So great Amy! “40 miles a week isn’t high mileage” is a foreign collection of words to me — you are a machine. Congrats on the PR! Oh, Charleston Marathon. Last year they tried to give me a DNS after I set my PR then had to fix that, now they screw up for everyone. Such a gorgeous race I’d still run it again in spite of it all. 😉 Enjoy your break and relax, you’ve more than earned it!

Well, the marathon didn’t screw up- someone driving a black SUV with blue flashing lights did. I bet some people have a big beef with that police officer now!

I’m glad they fixed your time last year though and that the race was a PR for you- maybe that’s a sign you should come back ;). The Mile 3 view is so gorgeous and it’s where I do my speedwork and tempo runs. Love it.

5. Sounds like they are getting the times adjusted by the people who measures course professionally and then resubmitting qualifying times to Boston, so awesome of them to that. So glad you had such a good run, you have been training so hard.

They are, which is a good thing. It wasn’t a huge deal to me since I just ran the half and have no hope of ever qualifying for Boston, but I do hope it works out for those who dream of that and were so close. The Charleston Marathon race director, and their whole staff, is really committed to making the race the best it can be… for runners and by runners.

Thanks for the congrats. I’m glad to see things pay off!

6. racingtales says:

Congrats on reaching one of your goals and getting oh-so-close to another! Enjoy your well-earned rest and good luck as you ramp up again for the Bridge Run. That event looks so cool!

I think I’m the only person in town whose never done the bridge run race! The bridge itself is open for running at all times and has a pedestrian lane, so I run it a lot, just never done the race. Once I “qualified” for the sub-45 projected finish corral, I knew I had to do it this year. That and All American Half are my March races.

7. congrats on your PR! i can’t wait to read your race recap – what a great week!! also – you could DEF qualify for boston if you ever decided to run another marathon 🙂

Thanks for the positive thoughts :). Yeah, time predictors say that, but I think they also assume someone’s training 50-60 miles per week for the marathon. I’m just not that dedicated, so I’ll keep plugging along at half marathons and below.

I’ll put my race recap up later this week. Obviously I have to write it, but I also wanted to wait for the new times to come out, will probably start writing tomorrow.

8. Theresa says:

Ha youre running more miles a week than i am training for a full! Congrats on the pr!!!

Mileage increases are tricky- gotta figure out what your body can handle without getting injured or fatigued, and what you can work into your own life schedule. For some people, that’s 20 miles a week, for some it’s 40 or 50. Gotta do what works for YOU :).

9. Jennifer says:

Congrats on the PR!! So nice to have met you and thank you for all the kind words and encouragement the past couple of months. I look forward to reading your recap and following along as you train for the bridge run.

10. Pam says:

Incredible that the police made a wrong turn, but it sounds like the race organizers handled the problem well. Congrats on your PR and great race. The weather conditions were perfect and you were in great shape for race day. I can only imagine how speedy you would be if you tapered completely for the race. A race in Charleston is on my bucket list, so hopefully within the next 12 months I can meet you in person.

11. spectacuLAUR says:

I can’t wait to read your full recap! And I hope you enjoy this week to its fullest. I think I need to give my body a break soon and I don’t even run high mileage. I’m just starting to feel it becoming worn down.

You have to do what feels right for you, everyone has a different training tolerance. I have already seen posts from those who raced Saturday who are running 6-7 miles. That’s good for them, but I know my body wasn’t up for that yesterday (and isn’t up for it today either). Gotta take care of yourself!

12. harveylisam says:

Whoo PR! Can’t wait to hear about it 🙂

13. runner1313 says:

Congratulations! Huge kudos and I am clapping right now. I was on taxation, and missed your post, but just thought to myself “wait, you have to check out how Amy did in Charleston”. Reading your post made me smile. A job well done!

Thank you! I will write a full recap later. I actually have most of it written, but I’m hoping the revised times come out today so I can mention that in my blog post.

According to my Garmin for 13.1, I was less than a minute from my “A” goal of under 1:42. So it will be happening soon!