Charleston Half Marathon 2015 Goals

Perhaps the only thing scarier than setting goals is sharing them publicly.

In the spirit of the new year, and since the Charleston Half Marathon is only 2 weeks away, I’ve set a few goals for the race. Time goals are very all-or-nothing, so I set training and race goals as well.

10418505_10152210630218193_2089093529958037129_n_thumb.jpg

Training Goals:

• Cross the starting and finish lines injury free and smiling. <—Most important goal.
  • Foam roll and stretch regularly- so that I can remain injury free.
  • Recover from the race by taking a few days off completely and taking it easy the week after the race. I’ve been training continuously for a few months now, so I need an off season.

Race Day Goals:

• Ease into a comfortable pace/don’t start too fast. Murray Blvd may be a part of the race course and my weekly speedwork route, but no plans to run 1/2 mile repeat pace on race day.
  • Stay focused and not get distracted during the race. The weekly tempo runs have helped tremendously with the mental aspect of racing 5Ks, so hopefully it works for the half.
  • Enjoy the race and don’t mentally give up if it seems like I won’t meet a time goal.

Time Goals:

• A goal: 1:42.

I plugged my last 5K (22:18 at yesterday’s Race the Landing Recycle, Reuse, Renew 5K) into the Running for Fitness pace calculator, and those predicted times were around 1:42.

I also entered my Old Village Harbor 5K PR from November, adding 18 seconds to account for a slightly (.04) short course. I got a 1:40 projected finish time. A 1:40 half marathon would be a great long-term goal if I decide to keep training for longer distances.

• B goal: 1:45.

I ran a 13.1 mile training run in just under 1:45. I’m notorious for PRing 13.1 mile training runs when training for short distances, so maybe I can earn a half marathon PR in an actual race.

• C goal: 1:50.

This would be a course record for me (and beat my Charleston Half Marathon 2013 time).

I’m also running the All American Half Marathon in March 2015, so if I don’t meet my goals at my hometown race, at least I’ll have a second chance 9 weeks later. That’s the best thing about running- you can learn from your races, make training adjustments, and you always have another chance.

focus-on-your-long-term-goal-goal-quote

This entry was posted in Charleston Marathon, Charleston Running, Half Marathon and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Charleston Half Marathon 2015 Goals

1. Good luck in a couple of weeks and knock out goal A! You got it!

2. runner1313 says:

You will be ready to go for that PR! Have a great run, I will miss being there this year, but live vicariously through you. Enjoy.

3. Pam says:

Can’t wait to hear how you do Amy. Hopefully you will have perfect race day weather and can achieve that A goal. I’ll be virtually cheering for you!

4. Tiny runner says:

i think its great that you’ve set yourself some training goals as well as a variety of race day goals. Can’t wait to hear how you get on 🙂

5. Victoria says:

Sounds like you are primed and ready for an incredible race – enjoy every step of it!

6. Good luck!

I use McMillan Running Calculator to figure out equivalent race times. It’s quite accurate for me.

7. harveylisam says:

Having multiple goals (A, B, C) is a smart idea — you never know what’s going to happen! Of course I hope you reach your A goal. Good luck!

8. chasingthekenyans says:

Ah, pre-race jitters and goal setting! Thanks for letting me live through you on this one. (Oh how I miss training and racing!) Stay diligent to the training goals and that A goal will be waiting for you in just a few weeks!

Thanks girly- but you’re in *incredible* shape with a strong athletic base in general, plus you race so well on mostly CrossFit training! I hope you can get back out there and race something again soon, I remember how much it meant to you!

9. Hollie says:

It really sounds you like you are going to have an amazing race.

10. Great goals. You have trained so well. I cannot wait to see you crush it on race day.

11. Kara says:

You are so ready!!! Can’t wait to read all about how you crushed it 🙂 I think the speedy running from training for shorter distances totally helps in the long run (pun intended!). I’ve found that shorter, fast workouts have helped my endurance so much!

12. Jennifer says:

Fun to read your goals – I think you will have a good race – your training has been great! I haven’t used that race time predictor site before will need to check it out. I initially hoped to PR at Charleston, but given my time off to rest up my foot….I think it will be more of a fun run than to race it 🙂 Hope you had a good weekend!

13. allieksmith says:

Love these goals, especially your most important one! I have a feeling you WILL achieve your first time goal!! You’ve put in the work, and I know you’re going to rock it :). Have fun and run fast!

14. LilMysNinja says:

Some of my Team RWB friends will be at the All American too! I’m sure you’ll see the RWB shirts. 😉