Training for the Charleston Half Marathon (Dec 22-28)

I hope everyone’s had a great Christmas and happy holiday season.

10421961_1543344882578447_2028428224649866974_n

Since we’re 3 weeks out from race day, this was my final “up” week before the Charleston Half Marathon. From now on, I will do shorter long runs, some speedwork, and cut my mileage a little each week.

I’m giving 100% in my training, and there’s a lot of satisfaction in being able to say that, but I’m not super confident right now. I’m running the Recycle, Reuse, and Renew 5K on New Year’s Day, and while I’m not looking for a PR, I could use the boost from a good race.

10418505_10152210630218193_2089093529958037129_n_thumb.jpg

Last week, I ran 45 miles and did 3 group fitness classes- BodyPump, Spin, and CXWORX/Pump Combo.

Monday: 6 AM BodyPump. I went heavier on the chest track and the back track. I definitely felt it on the chest track in the end, but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

I planned to run the bridge was some friends on Monday afternoon, but since our washing machine died unexpectedly on Sunday, I had to bail and spend Monday afternoon (and all our Christmas money) in Lowe’s. So, I ran a new 7 mile route I found in the neighborhood after BodyPump.

Tuesday: I hit the track for some intervals early that morning. I warmed up, ran 6 x 800 intervals, then cooled down (6.2 miles total). It wasn’t as fast as I would’ve liked, but I got through the workout and didn’t take long recoveries.

Our washing machine was delivered that afternoon. It’s high-efficiency, high dollar, and plays music when the clothes are finished! But the real test is if it eats my running socks…

Fullscreen capture 12272014 80125 PM.bmp

Wednesday: It rained all morning and we were under a tornado watch, so no running for me.

I went to the gym for a spin class followed by another class that was a combination of CXWORX and BodyPump that the instructor made up. It was a good workout, although I went to the gym expecting a Les Mills class and basically got boot camp.

The instructor also made “motivational speeches” about how our fat cells should cry. It was a great reminder of why I typically avoid the gym and cross training in general.

Thursday: No workout. Merry Christmas!

Pusheen_Christmas

We spent the day with family in Hartsville and I ate my weight in nut cake, carrot cake, and chocolate cake. Hooray carbs!

Friday: Last long run for 2014 is in the books… err, training logs! Virginia and I hit the Sawmill Branch Trail for 16 miles. Our pace for today’s 16 was slightly faster than the 15 miles 2 weeks ago. She is trying to PR at the Hilton Head Marathon and if she keeps this pace, she should do it!

That afternoon, Clay and I went out for Mexican food and also did some after Christmas shopping. We bought a new Christmas tree at Lowe’s. This one is either a 7 foot or 9 foot depending on some attachment you can build into it. It was on sale for 50% off and a real adventure getting it home in a Honda Civic.

Saturday: 8 miles easy with David (DoomBuggyRunner) and Luke in Mt. Pleasant.

20141227-8miler

We ran in the Shem Creek/Old Village area, and the homes were beautifully decorated for the holidays! The scenery of Shem Creek, Old Village, Waterfront Park, and the company were well worth the 6 AM wakeup call.

Sunday: 8 miles at OnShore Run Club. It was a beautiful morning to run and very warm out. If it wasn’t the week of Christmas and holiday eating, it would’ve been sports bra or shirt-free weather.

I ran a pretty speedy pace that I’d love to hold during the race, but 8 miles with water stops/breaks is different than running 13.1 miles continuously.

10882389_321519881369031_6408486107921704162_n

I hope everyone had a great week! Less than three weeks until race day…

This entry was posted in Charleston Marathon, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Training for the Charleston Half Marathon (Dec 22-28)

1. Pam says:

So excited about your upcoming half. You have done really well this training cycle and should be primed for a great race. Too bad about the washing machine. I hate the Samsung front load machines that we purchased about 3 years ago….we have already had service work on both machines. My next machines will be simple, top loading machines, you know, the old fashioned kind. 🙂

Thanks Pam, I really hope the race will be good (my legs will have some time to recover between now and then, too).

Our machine is a top load but it’s pretty nice. It’s very quiet and does a great job of spinning out clothes, so they take less time to dry… I guess that saves energy which is always a good thing!

2. You are so ready for the Charleston Half. I hope it isn’t as cold as last year’s race! Thanks for running with us on Saturday, a nice easy 8. Have a great week!

It was really fun running with you guys! Hopefully I can make it out again soon (the next Saturday I’m not running or volunteering for a race, at least). I’m hoping the weather will be nice for Charleston too as well as Save the Light- although I’m not signing up until I see how Charleston goes.

3. harveylisam says:

Good luck with your last few training weeks! You’ve got this 🙂

4. allieksmith says:

I can’t believe how soon your big race is coming!! That’s always so exciting… wondering how it will go and reflecting on training! Your new washer sounds legit, too!

It’s a neat washer, but for what we paid, it should be. I was glad we had some gift cards and they were on sale. Plus free delivery and haul away was good, considering we don’t own a truck and would have no way to get it home.

They delivered the next day and I was happy about that because we discovered it was broken when we both had several loads of dirty laundry. Home Depot’s delivery wasn’t next-day and we would have had to wait until after the holidays- that wasn’t happening!

5. Theresa says:

Maybe I missed it but what time are you aiming for?

I had a goal time in mind, but right now… I’d really just like to PR.

My current 13.1 mile PR is 1:44. My half marathon PR is 1:49 (from October 2012). I PRed 2 training runs this past year, both times I was training for 10Ks. I want to PR a half marathon in an actual race instead of a run around town.

6. i’m impressed that y’all got that huge tree in a civic! glad you had a great christmas. my friend jenny (she blogs at run jenny run) is also running charleston. you should meet her – she’s so sweet and fun!

I have been following Jenny’s blog, it’s neat that with blogging you can find others training for your race and encourage each other.

We had a crazy time getting that tree in the Civic! First we tried the backseat- didn’t work… car door wouldn’t close. We tried hanging it out of the window in the backseat and that wouldn’t work either. Finally we had to put the front seat down and I had to ride home in the back, but we got it done. You figure out how to do these things after awhile, I guess. Small car problems!

7. Jennifer says:

Yes!! Let’s meet (read Courtney’s post above haha) and Abby too 🙂 You had another great week and I am excited for your run! That is amazing/funny you fit the tree into the Civic! Your laundry quote made me think of these “Missing Sock” hangers on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/search?q=missing%20sock

8. Run To Munch says:

Wait, your washing machine plays music?

I am jealous!

Very excited for your half marathon coming up! It will be there before you know it!

Thanks girly. Don’t be too jealous of my new washing machine, it wasn’t cheap but Merry Christmas to us, we got clean clothes ;).

I hope I can run well at the half. My legs are feeling a little dead from last week’s mileage right now, but I know that’s just a temporary feeling and will go away before the half as I’m decreasing a little from here on out.

9. The rain has been making it rough, but I am so glad the holidays are over as the food was killing me. Cannot believe this race is coming up so fast.

10. Elizabeth C. says:

Sounds like the training has been going really well. And I LOVE that picture of the washing machine. So true!