Training for the Charleston Half Marathon (Nov 24-30)

Another solid week of training for the Charleston (Half) Marathon.

Since this was a holiday week and I had more time, I got some extra sleep. I’m drinking recovery shakes after my workouts, wearing compression socks, foam rolling, and stretching each night in front of the TV. These recovery activities take very little time but help big time when you’re increasing mileage.

This week, I ran 40 miles and attended a BodyPump class.

Monday – I went to BodyPump at 6 AM. The instructor said we wouldn’t have class on Wednesday, so I wanted to make this one count. Normally after a high mileage weekend and with a tempo run that afternoon, I’d go a little lighter on the squats, but I lifted my usual weight.

That night, I ran a 3.15 mile tempo run for 5.5 miles total. It was my fastest tempo run ever, but I started a little too fast (I recalculated my training paces after the Old Village Harbor 5K). My splits were 7:06, 7:20, 7:19, :59.

I guess iced frappucino coffee really is the secret to good runs, but consistent training helps.

Tuesday – Easy 4.5 miles around my neighborhood. It rained on me the entire time, and I’m kinda sick of the rain. I tried to keep a positive attitude, and midway through the run, thought about about running with Noah and Peyton Moore at the soaking wet LifePoint Gift of Life 5K back in 2013.

I ran the first 3.5 miles easy and turned the last mile into a little game, surging when I saw recycling bins out (Wednesday is our neighborhood’s recycling day). I dedicated my run to Peyton and it made for a fun easy day.

Wednesday – Easy 5.4 miles with Howie. It was a shakeout before Turkey Day Run and my Turkey Day Carb Coma. Downtown was dead, but we had a nice conversation about all things running, training, and beer.

Thursday – Rest day for Thanksgiving.

We went out of town and left Thursday morning, so no turkey trot for me (the Charleston ones started at 9 AM, which was too late for our travel plans and the Hartsville/Florence ones were at 8 AM and we were still in Charleston then). Everyone’s Turkey Trot pictures on Facebook were super cute, and I wish I could’ve been there.

Clay smoked a turkey in his Big Green Egg grill, and we spent time with family and friends.

Running 40 mpw and training for a half marathon *does not* give me permission to eat whatever and as much as I want, but I did it anyway. I don’t have much self-control around food and kinda fail at this whole nutrition thing. Oops.

Black Friday – The stores may have been packed, but the roads were empty.

I ran 12 miles from the Ben Sawyer Blvd. Publix to the TD Bank on East Bay Street.

The hardest part was running by Page’s Okra Grill because it smells so good. Running over the Cooper River Bridge and back was kinda tough too. At least the Charleston Marathon route doesn’t have Page’s Okra Grill or the Cooper River Bridge to affect my speed.

After my run, I went to Dunkin Donuts (latte machine was broken!) and Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant, where I bought a new shirt and socks. Fleet Feet had coffee, scones, and fruit out for shoppers- that’s why it pays to shop at small businesses and not get caught up in the Black Friday Frenzy.

Saturday – Easy 4.6 miles shakeout on the Ashley River Bike Path, followed by the Carolina/Clemson football game. It was a Carolina loss, and I hope we get a bid to a bowl game but I’m kinda over college football right now anyway.

Clay and I went to dinner at a new-to-us place on James Island, White Duck Taco Shop. It wasn’t bad, but I wasn’t a fan of the chips and salsa (that’s a make-or-break thing for me at Mexican restaurants or taco shops). We had some pretty delicious frozen yogurt for dessert to feel better since South Carolina lost.

Sunday – 8 miles with OnShore Racing Run Club.

I ran 4 of the miles at half marathon goal pace, trying to keep them close to 7:30. I don’t really have a time goal yet, so I just plugged the numbers from my last 5K into a pace calculator. I try not to get fixed on time goals and just want to finish the half marathon a better runner than when I started training for it, and obviously injury free.

I didn’t stick around for brunch because I wanted to decorate the Christmas tree. I got all our Christmas stuff out and up, and that should count as cross training because decorating is hard work. I took a few breaks for some adult coffee, which got interesting when I was walking around and around the tree with the colored lights.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving week!

This entry was posted in Charleston Marathon, Moore On Running, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Training for the Charleston Half Marathon (Nov 24-30)

1. Hollie says:

It sounds like a really solid effort. Nice job Amy.

2. Amy says:

Balega socks are the best! Sounds like a great week for you. Those 3.5 miles were SPEEDY!

The fun thing is that my tempo run on Monday night was only a little slower than a flat 5K I ran back in October🙂.

This is my first time trying Balega socks but I wore them on my easy run Saturday and really liked them. They are a little thicker for the winter months.

3. Sounds like a really solid week. I hate running the rain. I’m a wuss and will usually quit. I saw SO many runners on the road in the rain on Thanksgiving morning and I wanted to yell out my window to them about how awesome they were. I thought that would be dangerous to everyone’s safety and make me look crazy, so I didn’t!

I didn’t see any other runners out Tuesday afternoon in the rain, but I just ran in my neighborhood so that’s probably why. We have a few runners who live here but they’re mostly morning people.

When I run downtown, rain or not, I always see plenty of people running.

4. Pam says:

Decorating a house for Christmas definitely counts as cross training Amy! Tom is looking at the Green Egg now and I was wondering how the turkey came out? I would assume that it would be dry, but maybe there is a trick to smoking a bird. I can’t wait to follow you race morning during the Charleston Half…you are so speedy!

I’m not even sure if the race has real-time tracking? I haven’t figured that out but I sure hope we do! Maybe I can even teach my mom how to see text updates or something…

If you have any questions about the smoker or turkey, I can direct those to Clay. I don’t know much about it and don’t even eat turkey but everyone said it was good.

5. harveylisam says:

Hahahaha I love that judgmental Black Friday meme. Amazing.

It is funny but not even true anymore since all the sales now starts Thanksgiving evening. It’s more fun when you have to get up early for it (of course I think getting up early to work out is fun too).

6. Liz says:

You run so fast! I don’t mind being outside if it’s just drizzling, as long as it’s not freezing, but running in dry weather is definitely much better! I’m a cheese sauce person at Mexican places! If the queso isn’t good, I won’t go back! Georgia has the queso down for the most part aside from a few of the “fancy” Mexican places and I tend to avoid those anyway. I’ve found other states just don’t know how to do Mexican though (at least Mass and Oregon).

Oooh, I love queso too but hardly ever get it. I had some a few weeks ago at Mex 1 Coastal Cantina (my favorite Mexican in Charleston) and it was just so good! I have had some bad queso at a few restaurants but everything was bad at those, so maybe it’s a good judgment factor along with the salsa.

Thanks for the compliment. I’m not super speedy, but I try to run fast during the tempo runs, interval runs, and workouts where it counts. My easy runs are a lot slower. I like to go to group runs on my easy days and run with my friends who are using those as training runs- that way I get a few miles in and recover from a workout, while motivating them and spending time with them🙂.

7. Jennifer says:

Nice week Amy! I like your mindset, “I try not to get fixed on time goals and just want to finish the half marathon a better runner than when I started training for it, and obviously injury free” that is a great mindset to have. Thinking about the “better races” I’ve had, and they were when I wasn’t focused on time but level of effort. Switching topics.. the Charleston tee is really cute! Did you go to UNC?

Didn’t go to UNC. I stayed in-state and close to home and went to Francis Marion University (small liberal arts college). The shirt is a little darker than UNC blue, too. It’s a great shirt and I wore it on Sunday, it looks cute alone or with a long sleeved white shirt underneath.

It’s hard for me to set a goal time for a half because I haven’t run one for time in so long! I’ve plugged 5K times into those calculators but that’s pretty unreliable because a half is a totally different beast than a 5K, different challenges.

8. Wow looks like an awesome week of training! I start half marathon training in the next week or so and I am nervous to increase my mileage again since I managed to injure myself last time…fingers crossed!

I hope you don’t get injured! Increasing mileage is always tough. I am changing it up a bit this week and cutting back the miles and doing more cross training because of some slight pains I’ve had. It’s always better to err toward caution if you have a race coming up too.

9. Tiara says:

Sounds like a great week! One day I’ll run a full marathon. I’m hosting a Whole Foods Market Giveaway on the blog today. Hope you can join the fun. (

10. You have been getting so much great training in. I have been slacking off a bit and need to get motivated like you.

HA. I totally slacked off and slept in yesterday, so looks like only one BodyPump this week for me. Oh well, I was really tired from my Sunday run and decorating and just needed a morning off.

The speedwork sessions are keeping me motivated. I like the accountability.

11. Looks like a great week of training and I LOVE that Run Charleston shirt! I am a huge sucker for running shirts like that!

It’s a great shirt and VERY soft and comfy. I haven’t run in it (I mostly run at night and try to wear reflective shirts), but it would work for that.

I think it’s a great shirt for anyone who visits here too. I don’t know if Fleet Feet considered that or not, but when I went to DC I went to a local running store hoping I’d find something like this, only a DC type version, and I never could.

12. Hahaha that meme is hilarious. I actually didn’t get up to go shopping on Black Friday, nor can I get up early to go for a run.. but I do have to be in the office around 7/7:30am every morning, which forces to be a “morning person”

congrats on yet another amazing training week! love your attitude too — not focused on the numbers but on the journey and the improvement🙂

Yeah, I’m also an early riser! I did sleep in a bit more this week, and actually slept in a little that morning, i guess I started my run around 8ish. When I worked in the corporate office, I slept in a lot more on weekends and holidays… it does feel nice to sleep!