Training for the Charleston Half Marathon (Nov 17-23)

Eight weeks until race day, and another solid training week is in the books.

10418505_10152210630218193_2089093529958037129_n_thumb.jpg

It’s my highest mileage week ever, and I completed my longest long run since last September’s Darlington Marathon (15 miles). I still feel pretty strong going into next week.

This week, I ran 44 miles and did 2 BodyPump classes.

Monday – 6 AM BodyPump. I was sore from Saturday’s Old Village Harbor 5K and Sunday’s long run, so I went really light on the leg tracks. I left class after the lunge track to take my car to the mechanic, so I missed out on shoulders, abs, and cooldown.

Monday night was speedwork night. The weather was iffy all day with a coldfront coming in and a tornado watch, but it cleared up just before time to run. One of the guys who runs with us PRed a half on Saturday, so I was hoping he would be there and we could all do a nice recovery run and talk about our PRs, but no such luck (he didn’t come, and we didn’t do a recovery run).

I was tired, stressed from dealing with and paying for car repairs, and *I DID NOT WANT TO TEMPO RUN*.

10734012_10203442166909543_4088679199128381183_n

I showed up anyway because that’s the power of accountability, a coach, and training partners. I ran 5.5 miles, including a tempo 5K (average pace 7:27). The first mile was really fast because the wind was pushing my pace, but it was not fun riding that pain train back down the Battery with those winds in my face.

I was pleased with the workout and glad I did it, but I planned to take it easy for a day or two because my legs were toast from the hard runs and mileage increase.

Tuesday – I went to TrySports Mt. Pleasant for the group run from the store, where we tried out the new Asics shoes and also sampled some Thanksgiving treats from Whole Foods.

I ran 4 recovery miles in the Asics and liked them- I don’t recall which model I tested, but they were neutral shoes, and everyone who tried out the shoes got a free hat or headband. It was a really fun group run.

10806420_880849488616192_3188193157349862993_n

Wednesday – Speedwork was cancelled (coach went to Philly for the marathon), so I ran 4 miles at the Fleet Feet Pub Run at The Shelter. The run was a “stache bash” in honor of No-Shave November, so we wore stick-on mustaches when running through the Old Village in Mt. Pleasant.

I didn’t stick around for the post-run dinner, but hung out with some friends before heading home. I also did the full BodyPump class that morning.

Thursday – After recovering from the weekend + Monday night tempo run, I ran 7.5 miles from Patriot’s Point, including the Cooper River Bridge.

I’m trying to incorporate a mid-week  long-ish, fast-ish, run since I usually do my long runs on Sunday. It was chilly and windy on the bridge but felt great for running. I finished in under an hour.

Friday – No workout!

10805776_10203255967225511_2056021358927012243_n

I spent the afternoon working like crazy on articles for work but also went out for Mexican with Liz, Kristy, and Angela (who I know from the gym, plus Liz is my neighbor). We had a great time, and I hoped those Bangin’ Shrimp tacos would be good fuel for my 15-mile long run.

Saturday – I ran 15.2 miles on the Summerville Sawmill Branch Trail with Virginia, who is training for the Hilton Head Island full in February.

We ran from Virginia’s house which was a great idea because we could relax before and after the run, drink our own coffee and protein shakes, and not use porta-potties or gas station bathrooms. I love running on the Summerville trail; it’s pretty and it’s not pancake flat like West Ashley.

DSCN8063   DSCN8061

Stella didn’t come with us since it was cold and we were running so long, but we let her in the post-run picture anyway. She is in awe of her long distance running mommy (and her mommy’s tiny terror friend).

After the run, I came home, cleaned up, and watched the South Carolina vs. South Alabama football game- another Gamecock win! Clay and I also went out for lunch at Big Billy’s Burger Joint, where I inhaled this delicious salmon and fruit salad because that’s the appetite you get from long runs.

Sunday – 8 soggy shuffle miles with OnShore Racing this morning. Charleston was flooded, and my water-logged shoes felt like bricks. Only 7-8 people showed up for group run this morning, so everyone was hardcore and fast. I wanted this to be a recovery run but the pace was faster than I would’ve liked (The trend here is that I don’t want to do as much fast running if I’m increasing mileage that week).

Some people feel empowered running in the rain, but I mostly felt slow and out of shape. Not all runs can be good runs, but the fellowship was fun, and we had a great post-run brunch and surprise party (I’ll write more about that later this week).

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving week, spends time with family and friends, and gets everything on their shopping list this weekend!

This entry was posted in Charleston Marathon, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Training for the Charleston Half Marathon (Nov 17-23)

1. Pam says:

You had a fantastic week of training Amy. You are so disciplined with your workouts and doing a longer run midweek should make you really strong for your upcoming race. Two months will fly by and it will be race day. I need to try the runs from our TrySports store here. Yours seems to do all kinds of fun things and when I read about the food part (Whole Foods), I was envious. It just seems to far to drive for a shortish run, but once we move, it will be closer and I will try to make an effort to attend. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Our TrySports in Mt. Pleasant has a lot of GREAT programs for free, and like you, I wish I could attend more often. They have a free boot camp, free yoga class, and multiple runs each week. It’s a little over 30 minutes for me (I have to drive that far to get anywhere). I try to combine all my “Mt Pleasant Business” into one night and do that on the nights of the run so I wind up grocery shopping post-run, things like that.

2. christine says:

Sounds like your training is going really well! I think you’ll do great at this half this year. I also need to do a longish, fast-ish, mid-week run. Those definitely help come race day.

3. Cannot believe you ran through that nasty rain on Sunday. You are a trooper/

4. Congrats on your amazing training week! 44 miles, wow!! I do love running in the rain, and my 5 mile PR was accomplished in rainy conditions, but it’s only fun if it’s not a huge downpour that makes your shoes heavy. So awesome that you got the 8 miles done though, especially after your long run.
    That salad looks so delicious. It’s always nice to have yummy treats after working hard 🙂
    Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

Thanks! Yeah, the soggy shoes are always the worst part, because the rain itself sometimes feels good. Also they sorta pushed the pace a little, and any pace feels hard with water-logged shoes, ugh. But I got through it, it’s runs like that that make ya tough.

I hope you also have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

5. Christine says:

Reading about your training wore me out but also makes me miss training! I won’t start back up again until January. Good luck in your race and I hope the weather is good for you. BTW: that salmon salad looked yummy!

The salmon salad was delicious. I hope you can get back to training soon. I was injured this summer and agree, it’s the pits. But it makes you really thankful and appreciative for when you are able to run, and even makes me appreciate the crappy runs because at least I can run when so many can’t. Plus the holidays are busy enough without training for a race so you should kinda enjoy the break to be with family and friends 🙂

6. Jennifer says:

Looks like you had a great week of training. Enjoy the holiday week!!

7. Hey, Amy!! Wow, eight weeks until the half marathon? Crazy! It looks like training is still going well for you!

I guess I never thought of SC getting tornado watches, being a beach state? Well, this post has me stand corrected. Haha. Is that normal for your state, or more of a rarity?

That salad looks delish! I love when I can afford salmon. I haven’t eaten it in awhile. I remember the last time I ate it, it helped my achy joints. Yum. The only thing I don’t like about it is I don’t always feel full after eating it. I seriously need to improve my eating habits!

Have a great Thanksgiving, if I don’t talk to you before then!

Tornadoes aren’t common here but sometimes it happens. Fortunately that watch didn’t produce any, thank goodness :).

Salmon is great. I don’t really eat meat a lot, but I do eat seafood and I love salmon and shrimp. Salmon is one of the healthiest foods out there, but yeah, it is expensive. I justify it that I am an athlete in training, and I need to put good quality foods into my body, even if it’s not the cheapest thing on the menu or it costs a little more. You really do feel better and have a better workout- or heck, a better day in general, when you eat healthier, too.

8. harveylisam says:

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving! I wish I had training partners — I feel like it would really help to hold me accountable.

Thanks for the thanksgiving wishes!

Training partners help big time. We all push each other and that makes us better runners in the end. It helps that mine are in other age groups too!