Thinking Out Loud and Throwback Thursday

Today, I’m linking up with Running with Spoons for Thinking Out Loud Thursday.

tol_thursday

It’s also Throwback Thursday, so in honor of that, here’s Clay and I at the Hartsville Turkey Trot in 2011. Along with participating in the Turkey Trot, Clay also participated in “No Shave November” that year. I miss Hartsville races, but I don’t miss all the facial hair Clay had in this pic.

I haven’t participated in a Turkey Trot since, and I debated running one in Florence this weekend, but with family visiting, I decided to stay in town and run close to home.

The sunrises and sunsets have been beautiful this Fall. I’m not a big fan of the time change because it gets dark earlier, but it’s nice seeing a sunrise on my way to the gym and seeing the sun set… right after I sign off work. Here’s a fun picture of a sunset in my neighborhood (my neighbor Liz took this picture).

1779982_10152813088174269_2366699100746129263_n

I went to a Sip and Paint class at Wine and Design last week and still haven’t hung the painting. I need to hang it, or at least add “hang painting” to the ever-growing list of things I need to do around the house (I am failing as a homeowner, y’all).

The Peppermint Chocolate Chip milkshake is back at Chick-Fil-A. It’s one of my favorite seasonal foods and I get one each year.

I’m not a fan of Chick-Fil-A’s political and social justice stances, but you can’t beat a good milkshake a few times a year. I love the cows, even though I want to take a red pen to the grammatically incorrect signs- the joy of being a professional writer. The cow picture is from the summer of 2009.

Picture 248

The James Island County Park’s Holiday Festival of Lights opens this week, so some friends and I are going tonight for a 2-mile fun run/walk. The Festival of Lights doesn’t change much from year-to-year, but people come from all over South Carolina to see the Christmas lights. The fun run was a great deal- only $12 per person, and you can run on the roads through the county park, which is normally only open to cars (the car cost is $10).

I’ve visited the Festival of Lights before, but this is my first time doing the run/walk. A group of friends drove from Florence to see it back in 2009, and my friend Karen and I decided to kiss the handsome firefighters. I still can’t believe this was five years ago…

I’m really excited, and I doubt much running will be going on because I’ll take tons of pictures and be a nerd!

Hope you guys have some exciting weekend plans too!

This entry was posted in James Island, Rural West Ashley, Thinking Out Loud Thursday, Throwback Thursday and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Thinking Out Loud and Throwback Thursday

1. Christine says:

Your painting is cute! Love it! I would love to do the Festival of Lights fun run at some point. Can’t do it this year, but maybe next year. At the very least, I’m hoping to get out there to drive through it this year.

I hope you can drive through it- that’s what we did last year, just drove through.

If you do with a group, you should drive through twice, and get out of the car at the start/stop and switch sides- that way everyone in the car gets to see everything on each side.

2. harveylisam says:

Beautiful painting!! I wish I had talent in the visual arts.

And have fun at the Festival of Lights! Nothing wrong with being a nerd 🙂

3. Jessie says:

You are 100% right, that sunset is beautiful. If I could wake up to that every morning I couldn’t imagine starting my day off anything but happy.

Occasionally, I see the sun rise on morning runs (when I run in the morning). Before the time change we saw sunsets on the Charleston harbor during speedwork. It was so beautiful.

4. If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been living in my current place for THREE years and I have yet to actually hang anything on the walls 😆 I have a hard time committing to things…

At least with pictures, you can always move them if you need to. I might move around the art in the house, I’m not sure yet. I like to rotate things out and I want to move some of these not-as-cute paintings upstairs so people won’t see em!

The last place we lived, we didn’t even unpack all our boxes and we were there a year, but that was an apartment and not really a home, it was just a place we lived between homes 🙂

5. Kay Bueno says:

That sunset is beautiful. I haven’t been catching them here lately because the sun goes down so so early.

I’m glad you loved the Turkey Trot. I convinced my family into a post Thanksgiving day 5k. I’m super excited.

6. Pam says:

I also am a huge fan of the Chick fil A peppermint milkshake. I had my first on of the season on Monday when we went to the mall to get names off the angel tree. Nothing like a little reward for doing something good! We are doing a family turkey trot this year on Thanksgiving which should be fun!

7. I did the run last year. It is an awesome way to see the lights and at only $2 more than a car so worth it! Have fun.

8. allieksmith says:

Oh, I love holiday lights! Jimmy and I are totally going to go on walks at night around our neighborhood this season just to see Christmas lights, haha!!

I know what you mean about loving certain holiday treats. Before I was lactose intolerant I was all about McDonald’s Shamrock Shake! So good. I miss it, haha. Your friend Liz’s picture is beautiful. I want to go to SC so, so badly!

Also, I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels like they fail at being a homeowner. There are just SO many projects to do that I get overwhelmed… and then do nothing, haha. I’ll get around to it. Some day 😉

Thanks, yeah we have tons of projects that we have not started or things we have not bought that we “need” (guess we might not really need them as much as we think). I’ve never had that shamrock shake but I know a lot of people really like it. I had the peppermint chocolate chip ice cream on Saturday after my race to celebrate my PR, though!