Spooky Skyline Shuffle Group Run

Happy Halloween-eve! I hope you guys have your costumes for the big day if you’re dressing up. Clay and I plan to relax at home and hand out candy to the neighborhood trick-or-treaters (we have tons). I am doing the James Island Connector Run on Saturday, so a low-key, restful, Halloween is exactly what I need.

On Sunday morning, I started celebrating Halloween early with the Spooky Skyline Shuffle group run that Virginia and Rocky from OnShore Racing hosted. It was a fun 5K group run around downtown Charleston and included 2 parking garages- hence “skyline” in the title. We don’t have hills in Charleston, so everyone here runs inside parking garages or on bridges to train for hilly races elsewhere.

The group run was pretty casual, not a race, and everyone was encouraged to wear costumes. I dressed up like a sailor. I think the costume was supposed to be a “sexy sailor”, but it worked out pretty well because it was short enough for me to wear running shorts underneath.

We started right in front of the aquarium garage with a group picture.

522040_10153201371605283_3407377541797747560_n

Running around downtown as a big group in costumes was pretty fun. Charleston’s lone cruise ship, the Carnival Fantasy, was in port that morning, so all the passengers disembarking saw us as they came off the boat. The cruisers got a kick out of it and some were taking pictures. Getting off a cruise ship on your last day is pretty sad, so hopefully we made them smile even though their vacations ended.

Since I was participating in Running with the Hounds Sunday afternoon, I just ran at an easy pace with my friend Cherry and we talked about marathons and the Cooper River Bridge Run. It was a great conversation and made running the inclines a bit easier. Pretty soon, we were back at the aquarium garage- everyone ran up that garage and finished with a beautiful view.

10404332_10152415809238144_7398194823532162608_n

This was only the second time I’ve run in a costume, but I liked it. Most of our costume races here are Zombie themed so my costume would stick out, but I’d do a 5K in a costume. Anything longer might be uncomfortable unless you did a practice run in your costume to know that it’s comfortable and doesn’t chafe or itch, but I knew I could handle 3.1 miles wearing whatever.

It was a great run- thanks OnShore Racing for changing up the Sunday group run for Halloween!

This entry was posted in Carnival Fantasy, Charleston, Charleston SC, Downtown, Holidays, OnShore Racing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Spooky Skyline Shuffle Group Run

1. KrisLawrence says:

How fun! Your outfit is adorable! I’m trying to figure out what the girl all the way to the right in a box is?

2. Sounds like fun! I cannot believe how people can run in certain costumes! Could you imagine seeing someone training in a costume…I’d get a giggle out of that.

3. Pam says:

That was a creative way to enjoy Halloween/dressing up and getting in a run. I love your costume…very cute and it would be perfect if you ever had to dress up on a cruise. Gotta admit the “one night stand” was really creative!

4. You guys all look awesome in your costumes. How fun!

5. Amy says:

Great costumes! Seriously, you all had cute ideas 🙂 I am not creative enough to come up with good ideas most of the time!

6. harveylisam says:

Cute costumes! I hope you enjoyed the trick or treaters last night 🙂

7. Run To Munch says:

Fun! I thought about getting dressed up in costume for my run on Friday but then i realized I would look super weird because I was alone.

Now idea how people train hills in garages. I’m already terrified about getting by a car!

Great week of running!

That’s why we did the run early on a Sunday morning- not much garage traffic :). You have to be pretty careful about when you run in a garage here because of the cars and traffic- and of course if you have to slow down, you slow down, safety always comes before the running.

8. That looks like fun! You’re too cute. I’ve never tried to run in a costume. Not sure I ever will. I’m too boring lol I like the flowers in the pumpkins. I think I’ll try that next year for our home.

9. Love your blog! 🙂 Running in costumes?! Amazing! haha

10. Christine says:

This looks like fun! Cindy invited me to it, but I couldn’t go. Plus, I don’t think I had a costume I would have been comfortable running in for more than a few steps!