Workout Recap: October 20-26

One thing’s for certain in life and distance running- the road to success is full of crazy turns and ups and downs. This week was no exception, but in between the ups and downs, at least I got some cute pictures for this blog post.

This week, I ran 34.5 miles. I also completed 2 BodyPump classes and a spin class.

Monday: AM BodyPump, then an evening tempo run.

I arrived at speedwork and didn’t feel well, but I wanted to give it a shot. A couple other people said they were feeling kinda bleh too, but we all ran. Sometimes you run and you feel better about a mile in.

I didn’t feel better a mile in.

felt_like_poop_still_nailed_run

I ran my tempo at almost goal pace (only a few seconds above it), but I was *so* glad to be done. Maybe I ran faster just to get it over with. I was pale and exhausted after the run, and I went by the grocery store on the way home to pick up mushrooms for Clay to cook, and I didn’t want to get out of the car! I got my shopping done, came home, showered, and slept for 10 hours.

Tuesday: No workout. I slept for 10 hours (to recover from Monday and because I was convinced I was getting sick) then worked.

Wednesday: AM BodyPump, then 1/2 mile repeats in the evening.

Maybe my body just needed a day off, because I rocked the 1/2 mile repeats. I felt a lot better, and my splits were 3:23, 3:20, 3:24, and 3:20.

You gotta love running with a view like this (kudos to my friend Paul for the picture!)

1010120_10100609347609439_5093395187055123622_n

Thursday: AM spin (20 miles),  then evening garage workout.

The instructor didn’t show up at 6 AM for spin class, so many of us stayed and improvised (one girl hooked her phone up for music). I was surprised that a lot of people just left the gym completely! I can understand leaving the spin room to go lift, run, or elliptical, but if I go to the gym at 6 AM, I am doing something.

That evening, I ran a 6 parking garage route/workout with Richie, Steve, Dave, and Kaitlin. It was good to run garages again. Running parking garage inclines is how we make up for Charleston being so flat. Downtown was packed- a cruise ship called on the port, and I think tourists realize that October is the ideal time to visit.

Friday: I usually rest on Friday, but I got a new pair of shoes so I took them out for a 3.5 mile run around my neighborhood. Hello Mizuno Wave Rider 18’s!

I’ll write more of a review on the shoes once I wear them a few more times.

Saturday: 9 easy miles with David, Luke, and Rachel on the Summerville Sawmill Branch Trail. We ran the first 9 miles of the Sweet Tea Half Marathon course since that is one of David’s next races (November 15).

summerville_9miler_01-001

This was the first run where I’ve had to wear long sleeves (hooray Charleston Marathon race shirts), but it was a beautiful morning. David does run/walk intervals for his long runs, but I’m fine with that because it always leaves my legs feeling fresh the next day.  I’m not out for speed all the time; sometimes I just want good company and I always have that when I run with them. Summerville is a great little town for running.

Sunday: I normally do a long run with OnShore Racing, but today, we did a Spooky Skyline Shuffle fun run instead. I’ll write more about it this week, but we wore costumes and it was so much fun. I wore a sailor suit.

522040_10153201371605283_3407377541797747560_n

That afternoon, I ran the Running with the Hounds 5K at Middleton Place. It was a trail run on a tougher trail, and it was hot.The month of October is supposed to be much cooler, but the temperature was in the 80s. Plus, I wanted to save something in the tank for next week’s workouts before the James Island Connector Run 5K, so I didn’t run super hard.

10728730_10205049371938351_1226227573_n

The course was short (2.7 miles), but I finished in just over 22 minutes for the overall female win. I won a gift certificate to TrySports Mount Pleasant, who sponsored the race and who I run for as an athlete ambassador.

Congratulations to everyone who ran races, from the local 5Ks and 10Ks to bigger and longer events such as the Spinx and Marine Corps Marathons (I have friends who did both of those). It was a pretty beautiful weekend for running.

This entry was posted in Rural West Ashley, Summerville, Training Log and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Workout Recap: October 20-26

1. steph says:

Thanks for inviting me and letting me win something at the Spooky Shuffle…you are a great ambassador!

2. Amy says:

Congrats on a great week, Amy! I bet it felt nice to take Tuesday off after a rough run on Monday. And I keep seeing reviews of the wave rider 18s and I am still on the 16s! I have the 17s stocked up and ready to go, but it may be a while til I get to the 18s. I stocked up on the 16s a lot since I like them so much. And I buy them on sale because I’m cheap🙂

I too buy shoes on sale. I just bought new Hitogami’s, which are my favorites. I don’t mind the Wave Rider 18’s (I wore them for a 6 miler today), but they are not the same as my Precisions which were discontinued. I think the Wave Riders are a great shoe for a certain type of runner, just not sure I’m it😉.

Best bet is to always stock up on shoes you like! I’m thinking about a new pair of Precisions from Amazon since I saw them on there even though the shoes haven’t been made in almost 2 years.

3. Smart taking Tuesday off to rest. I too cannot understand leaving once you are at the gym, that seems silly. Woohoo for new Mizunos and a big win.

I don’t understand leaving either, especially in a morning class- It’s not like you can go back to sleep. An afternoon might be understandable if you have something else to do but not 6 AM. It’s either sleep or work out at that time for me.

4. Hey Amy!
    This past week was a little rough for me, too. I’ve been dealing with a really bad cold. It’s been almost a week, but hopefully it’ll end soon. So annoying.

Way to go on training well though! Glad the race went well. I love the new shoes. The colors of them are really cool.

I can see that the dogs in that one picture were too busy to have their picture taken.🙂

I hope you feel better soon! This look for shoes is really popular now, with the fading colors. I like the look, I’m still not sold on the shoes completely but maybe they’ll feel better once they’re not so new. The dog trail run was pretty crazy but some of the runners and dogs were super fast!

5. Jessie says:

Good job on taking Tuesday off to get the adequate amount of rest your body needed. Sounds like paid you back the remainder of the week! =)

6. Pam says:

Wow, you had quite a week, from difficult training runs, thinking you were sick and then winning overall female at the Running with the Hounds 5k. Congrats. It is always fun to win a GC to TrySports. That is my favorite running store.

Thanks Pam! It’s my favorite running store too- even if I’m biased for being on their team. Trysports supports runners of all abilities and walks of life and that’s why I like them🙂.

7. Liz says:

I liked your comment about how it wasn’t one of those runs where you felt better! I sometimes try to workout when I feel miserable and every once in awhile, I just have to stop cause I feel awful. Mostly I DO feel better (or at least don’t notice how awful I feel while I’m working out), but sometimes I just get even more miserable! Good job at the race! Maybe those people were just exhausted at 6am and were excited to go back to bed for a bit? Or have a relaxing morning off! I’d probably stay if I managed to get up that early, but eh!

Yeah, maybe they had something else to do that morning I guess, or maybe they worked a nightshift or something. If it were an afternoon class and got cancelled, I could definitely see leaving because by then the day is packed with things you have to get done, etc (which is why I usually work out in the morning- no distractions).

I felt miserable during and after Monday’s run and just needed Tuesday off. I hear people say “just give it 10 minutes, then you can stop if you don’t feel good, but you’ll probably feel better”. If I hadn’t been 1.2 miles from my car after the warmup, I wouldn’t have done the tempo run at all!

8. Elizabeth says:

Nice week! Nothing like a brand new pair of shoes to get you out there. And dang, girl- you are getting really fast!