Running with the Hounds and last week’s workout recap

Before I start blabbering about workouts, I want to share an upcoming race and event in West Ashley, Running with the Hounds. We don’t have a ton of races close to me, so when we do, I like to share it with my readers.

10723543_10101642232854118_1269410228_n

Held at Middleton Place near West Ashley, Running with the Hounds provides a unique opportunity to run some trails that aren’t usually open to the public. You can run or walk the Middleton Place trails, or if you have a dog, you can participate in the popular European sport known as canicross (running with your dog in a tandem harness).

Running with the Hounds has three divisions: runners, canicross, and runners and walkers with their dogs on leashes who want to take in the sights. The trails and lakes that run through Middleton Place host hawks, song birds, wild turkeys, hogs and deer. Post race activities will include dog demonstrations, kayaking, and food trucks, so if you’re in the area, you should consider coming out and bringing your furry family members if you have them!

I had a solid week of workouts that I’m proud of. I ran 35 miles, did 2 BodyPump classes, and 1 spin class.

Monday: Monday morning BodyPump. The class did the full BodyPump 91 release. The back track and the shoulders track are super tough.

That evening, we ran a 5K tempo run. Everyone was wiped out, and it was muggy and hot- it felt more like June than October. Howie said to not worry about pace so much but do the best we could with the hot conditions (and everyone’s weekend fatigue). My pace was around 15 seconds slower than what my tempo pace should be, but not bad for the temperatures.

After the Avondale 5K, my goal was to not go out too fast in my training runs this week, so I held back the first mile and finished strong with a negative split.

_0058_s2-41_23_09_13_18_48

Tuesday: 6 AM spin. Monday and Wednesday nights are pretty tough with speedwork, so spin was a great cross training workout between two hard running days.

Wednesday: Hump Day BodyPump Day- we did a mixture of releases.

That evening, Howie, Tiffany, Joni, and I ran 1/2 mile intervals. I was sprinting down Murray Drive behind Howie when a red sports car drove past us fairly slowly, and I heard Howie yell “Hey Rob!” and the man in the car waved back. I looked over, and it was the sports med doctor who diagnosed and treated my stress reaction last year. Better to see Dr. Lowery while running than in his office.

I guess he knows I’ve recovered now.

Thursday: 5 miles at the Charleston Community Group Run around Patriot’s Point.

Friday: Rest Day! I went to lunch at Café Fork with Liz, Angela, and Kristy. I had a delicious salad and a shrimp flatbread pizza. Café Fork is one of the best restaurants in West Ashley and I had the best company at lunch too (we didn’t take a group pic this time).

Saturday: 12 miles with David from DoomBuggy Runner and one of his coworkers. We tried to run the Summerville Sweet Tea Half Marathon course since that’s David’s next race, but we got lost and missed a turn. Oops. We didn’t run a super hard pace, and it was cool outside, so I felt good afterwards.

I came home and watched the Gamecocks beat Furman while wearing my compression socks, then Clay and I went out to Pawley’s Front Porch for burgers and played cornhole. It was a beautiful day so we ate outside. The food wasn’t bad, but we prefer the Pawley’s Front Porch in Columbia over Mt. Pleasant.

Sunday: 8 miles at the OnShore Racing Sunday Run Club. I tempo-ed a few of the miles in there and ran with some new people. I missed the pre-run picture and brunch, so there’s no proof I even went to run club today *and* a lack of pictures in this post. Maybe next week I’ll be better about taking pictures for my readers, oh well.

I hope everyone has a great week!

This entry was posted in Rural West Ashley, Training Log, West Ashley and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Running with the Hounds and last week’s workout recap

1. Coco says:

Sounds like a fun race. My dog doesn’t always play nice with other dogs, so I’d have to leave her at home!

I really hope everyone’s dogs play nice next Sunday. We don’t have a dog so I’ll be doing the regular 5K run and hopefully finishing soon enough to see the canicross runners finish.

2. this sounds like an awesome event! too bad im not stationed at Fort Bragg anymore or I would make the trip with my doggie!

3. Amy says:

I want to enter a race with Zoey! She does a great job pulling me on my runs!
    And great job getting your runs in this week!

4. Hollie says:

That sounds really cool. I am not the biggest dog person honestly but I would probably bring my dog…well my parents dog that is.

I’m not a big dog person either and we don’t have a dog, but the race sounds like it’ll be fun to watch when I finish (the canicross starts 15 minutes after the 5K for runners only, so I’ll be able to see them finish).

5. KrisLawrence says:

That shrimp flatbread looks amazing. I think I’m going to try to attempt that soon! Nice work on the tempo, 15 seconds difference in those conditions is great. Isn’t funny how we are still having such hot muggy temps in mid-October!

Yeah, it was a lot better last night! My tempo was about 15 seconds faster pace and I felt really crappy last night (was scared I was getting sick). Hopefully the hot weather is gone for awhile now.

6. Sarah says:

Solid workouts, love seeing recaps of what others are doing! Interesting, motivation, and gives me new ideas for my own training time 🙂 Haven’t done body pump in years but it’s SOOOO much fun. Haha that’s funny about your sports med doc, yes I guess he definitely knows you are all healed up!

7. Elizabeth says:

Those are some great workouts! And that meal looks yummy. Nice job battling through a hot tempo workout. Seriously, fall needs to get here and stay here.

8. allieksmith says:

What a great, solid week of workouts!! You go! I think the race in West Ashley that you shared sounds like so much fun! I wish I could run in it! Mostly to hang out with you, but also because I want to visit SC!!

I thought about you when I was writing about it (I also thought about Maria at Lil Mys Ninja bc she has dogs too). Even though I’m not doing it with my dog it will be fun to see and sounds like a great time afterwards.

9. nevie b. says:

solid week amy! i agree – i’m definitely excited to be running alongside my PT again instead of just visiting his office and having him test my balance 😛 and mondays for body pump are such a great start to the week. doing it in the morning is probably smart – i used to do it in the evenings and it was so tough to make myself go after a monday at work.

Oh yeah! I remember you talking about your running PT you met through your run club :).

I have been both a morning and an evening BodyPumper. I think it’s good to go whenever you can, whether that’s morning or evening, but going in the morning has been *great*. You and I are both primarily runners and identify that as our sport, and for me, if I am low on time, running will come before cross training and strength training. Going in the morning makes strength training more of a priority.

Plus, it’s BodyPump- If I miss my run, I know I have gotten the cardio component of the day through the BodyPump class as well.

10. That race sounds fun and Middleton Place is pretty. Too bad I just registered for 3 races and blew the budget!

One of those daily deals just came out today for $15. My friend signed up to do it that way. It kinda stinks for anyone who paid before, though… I have noticed a lot of those deals for races around here.