Sept 22-28 Recap: Training for the Fall Equinox 10K and Post-Race Recovery

This week’s workout recap will be short because it was race week for the OnShore Racing Fall Equinox 10K. I didn’t do many workouts, and Clay and I left for Washington, DC.

After spending the last three months rebuilding from injury and training consistently, it was time for a few days off. Maybe some people look down on taking time off, but this works best for me and my sanity. Who wants to worry about workouts on (a very active) vacation?

The first week after my injury in May, I did not miss running and felt mentally relieved not to be training. Of course, that feeling only lasted about a week and I was ready to run again. I look at that as a sign that I should take time off formal workouts every few months to mentally and physically regroup.

This week, I ran 15 miles, including a 10K race, and completed 1 BodyPump class.

Monday:  6 AM BodyPump.

I never miss a Monday because it sets the tone for the week. I normally run on Monday as well, but with a race the next evening, I did not this week. I caught up with some errands and work before heading out of town.

Tuesday: Race Day! I slept in until 7:00 because I knew I’d be up later than usual due to the race. I’m really glad I slept in because it was so hard to sleep Tuesday night after a hard run and the excitement of setting a new PR.  Please excuse the super-glued and taped up Garmin, hehe.

I ran the 10K in 46:15, which means I only need to drop 76 seconds to seed in the sub-45 minute corral for the Cooper River Bridge Run in March.

Wednesday: After not falling asleep until after midnight, I did not wake up for 6 AM BodyPump. When I woke up at 7:30, I felt like I’d been hit by the Pain Train (Choo Choo!).

I would normally take the day after a race off or run very, very easy, but heading on vacation later in the week (and wanting one last hill session before next Saturday’s Isle of Palms Connector 5K), I decided to run garages. I ran 5.5 miles including 6 parking garages with Richie, Steve, Kaitlyn, and Dave, then headed to the Fleet Feet Pub Run as a cooldown from the garage workout.

We ran part of the Cooper River Bridge on the Pub Run route- I did run/walk and just stayed with some friends. I also saw Alex at the base of the bridge, looking strong and finishing a tempo run. It was fun, but I was over running and ready to get home. I ran about 8 miles total.

10672269_355380474626362_7575060321904566248_n-001

Thursday: No workout! Flew to DC and walked all over Tyson’s Corner and Old Town Alexandria.

Friday: No workout! Walked around the National Zoo, Adams Morgan neighborhood, and half the monuments at the National Mall.

Saturday: No workout! Walked around 3 museums and watched a South Carolina/Mizzou football game that didn’t end well.

Sunday: No workout. Travelled back to Charleston and spent Sunday afternoon unpacking, resting, and getting ready for the week.

I’ll resume regular workouts on Monday, and I’ll recap my DC trip and the OnShore Racing Fall Equinox 10K next week. I hope everyone has a great week!

This entry was posted in 10Ks, Training Log, Traveling and Trips and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Sept 22-28 Recap: Training for the Fall Equinox 10K and Post-Race Recovery

1. KrisLawrence says:

Very nice work on the 10K. You will definitely get those 45 seconds by March!

I love that you run parking garages. We used to do that in high school on rainy days 🙂 I hope you had a great time in DC.

Thanks. It’s 70 seconds, but I think I can get it. That’s like 12 seconds per mile, which is a lot for a 10K, but this was my first 10K in awhile. I think after a few more “practice races” and speedwork, etc, I can get it done.

2. Kristin says:

Great job on your 10k!! Awesome time!! Way to rock it!! XOXO!!

3. runner1313 says:

Glad you got that vacation in. Hope you had a great time!

4. Hollie says:

I’m with Kris. You will have those seconds by March for sure. Nice work this week and glad you had fun in DC!

Thanks, I’m not too worried about the time, It will come with additional training and I’m trying not to stress over it too much. Stressing is a little counter productive.

5. supereli23 says:

Nice time on your 10K! You will definitely be able to shave a few seconds off it.

6. Amy says:

Congrats on the 10K! A night race would certainly make it difficult to go to sleep that night. And each time I go to DC I feel exhausted with so much walking. Can’t wait to hear more about it!

I was so hyped up. Obviously I was hyped from the intense exercise but also happy because it was a PR right before my vacation. I’m not used to running at night, and I’m starting a new speed program that meets at 6:30 so I am thinking melatonin (or just sleeping in!) may be in my future…

7. allieksmith says:

Nice job on your 10k!! That’s awesome!

I know what you mean about just taking some time off of working out every few months or so. Walking around D.C. can be tiring enough as it is!

It really was tiring, and it wore my body out more than I thought it would because it was warm in DC and I’m not used to being on my feet that much. So, I probably won’t run my usual weekly mileage this week either, but that’s okay :).

8. you are definitely going to hit that 10k time – how awesome! can’t wait to read your recap of your time in my city 😉

9. Congrats on your 10k time!! I’m sure you’ll get that sub-45. Can’t wait to hear more about your DC trip!

10. Liz says:

I don’t do anything on my vacations either! I tend to have fairly active vacations (lots of walking, anyway- or hiking) so I try not to worry about it. I want to enjoy time off of everything when I’m on a trip! That’s an awesome 10k time! I’m impressed! Congrats! I can’t wait to hear about the DC trip either!

11. Wow. Amazing 5K and so close to that 45 you want.

12. Pam says:

You are so speedy Amy. How exciting to have a PR just months after being injured. You definitely deserved some time without running shoes. I am a big believer in breaks….I think it aids with injury and sanity!

Thanks! I definitely enjoyed the mental break of not training for 4 days, but probably needed more of a physical break because we did a ton of walking in DC. I knew we would, but I guess I didn’t realize we would do as much as we did. I’m not sure what my next “goal race” will be yet, gonna find another 10K sometime this year, hopefully!

13. LilMysNinja says:

I love the pub run picture!! I’m embracing your train of thought. Right now I’m enjoying the time off from training. I feel like I’ve been training all year and I’m exhausted! I need this break.