Race week for the Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Miler!

10517466_692717194096940_8837184652250293327_n_thumb.jpg

Since it was a trail event and I planned to use the 10-miler as a long run, I didn’t taper or cut back on workouts (do people taper for a 10 miler like you would for a half or full? Maybe).

This week, I ran 35 miles, with 2 BodyPump classes, and 1 yoga class.

Monday: 60 minute BodyPump class at 6 AM. I love getting my workout in early in the day.

On Monday night, Clay and I went to a Yelp event at Spacecraft Studios in Avondale, where we ate delicious food from Outta My Huevos food truck and made terrariums in mason jars (I even put a cute little angel figurine in mine). We put them in our kitchen window.

Tuesday: 6 miles at the Porter Gaud track. My legs still felt a little trashed from last week. I ran 1.5 miles to warm up, then 4 x 800. I jogged an 800, then ran 4 x 400. I cooled down with a 1 mile run.

My goal was keeping all the intervals under 7:00 pace, and I managed to do this for all but one 800. I didn’t really rest much between laps.

Wednesday: 6 AM BodyPump.

Two ladies in my BodyPump class, Doris and Myrtice, were featured in a newspaper article. Doris and Myrtice have been working out together for 30 years and just turned 80. They are in amazing shape and can out lift and out cycle many people in their 20s and 30s, almost never missing a day at Pivotal. We passed the newspaper article around class.

That evening, I ran a parking garage workout with Richie, Steve, Dave, and Kaitlin, then I headed to Bay Street Biergarden for the Fleet Feet Pub Run, where I did a cool down 3-miler with Liz, Amy, and Ed. It was a total of 8.5 miles.

10393689_10204832952048650_3767823976987142931_n

Thursday: I slept in this morning, which was probably a mistake because the temperatures were above 90 today so I missed my chance on a cooler outdoor run. I ran 5 miles on the treadmill at my gym (39:02),with a 3 mile tempo run at 8 mph (7:30 mile).

The most fun part of my day was lunch at Café Fork with Liz and Angela. Café Fork is a catering service in West Ashley that serves lunch Mon-Fri and also hosts cooking classes. I had a delicious salad and some awesome company.

1524765_10152686828879269_5775612808052445379_n

Liz and I actually live in the same neighborhood (I used to go to the gym where she teaches), and this was the first time we’ve seen each other in months! I hadn’t seen Angela since I left the other gym back in May, so it was great catching up.

Friday: No workout.

Saturday: I ran the Raccoon Pond Rush 10-mile. My finish time was 1:35:51 on a very difficult trail in the heat- the race started at 9 AM. I was 3rd female overall and won a bottle of wine and a TrySports gift card, but most of all, I got a huge burst of confidence from running 10 miles on a trail, completely out of my comfort zone.

I’ll have a full recap up later this week. For now, here’s a picture Brian Fancher took during the race. I look legit! I get pretty excited when I hear Brian’s shooting a race.

1518678_873046979374314_3080370625111762024_o

Sunday: Onshore Run Club day.

I ran 5 recovery miles (Howie and I turned at the fountains and ran back to Hampton Park), then I did 20 minutes of Yoga for Runners when I got home.

That afternoon, I cleaned up and Clay and I went to Bombay Bazar in North Charleston with our friends Kelsey, Ian, and Brad. I like post-run brunch-ing at Moe’s, but you really can’t beat an Indian buffet.

I have a little over a week until the Fall Equinox 10K, so I hope to get some quality workouts in this week. Hope you guys have a great week of workouts, family, friends, and life as well.

This entry was posted in 10 Milers, Avondale/West Ashley, OnShore Racing, Trail running, Training Log, West Ashley and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Sept 8-14 Recap: Training for the Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Mile and Fall Equinox 10K

1. Amy says:

Woo Hoo! Congrats on the trail race! That picture is amazing and I can’t wait to read about it. I have a trail half coming up and my plan is: run for fun and enjoy the day!

Running for fun and enjoyment is really the best thing to do on a trail because you just can’t plan it out. You can see the course but usually can’t run it before, and even if you can, you just don’t know how muddy it may be or if there will be some downed limbs, etc. They are fun though and usually trail races give nice runner’s swag too 😉

2. Congrats on the trail run, and that is one cool picture, you look like a machine killin’ it!

3. Steph says:

That really is an excellent picture. Congrats on 3rd place!

4. Pam says:

Your race photo is amazing…..you need to print that and frame it for your desk. What a great week and you are killing the speed workouts. I admire anyone doing trail runs/races, I would be the klutz falling, tripping and/or breaking an ankle.

Brian’s pictures are always great. Every time I run a race and he is shooting, I know I will get a great picture. I may not have a great finish time or win anything or PR, but I can smile for the camera and look cute in a pic.

I am really trying to do speed workouts and hoping they pay off. I didn’t feel very fast running them this week but I did feel confident after Saturday.

5. Hollie says:

Great photo of you. It sounds like you had a good week of workouts. I’m the same way too that I would prefer to get my workouts out of the way early in the morning as well.

6. LOVE that picture from Brain. And great job on placing.

7. Kara says:

Wow, that photo is AMAZING! Can’t wait to read your recap.

I want to be like Doris and Myrtice when I grow up!! 🙂

8. Yunica says:

Congrats on your 10 miler!!! Amazing action shot 🙂

Also, track workouts are so fun. I feel that I might be doing mine too fast though because I’m between 8:30-9:30/mile when I race, and I do my intervals wayyy faster than that (especially 200’s and 400s. 800s not so much). Do you gauge your track interval times based on your race pace, or do you use your track times to determine a goal race pace?

I also do my intervals faster than my race paces, but I’m honestly unsure of what paces to train at since I haven’t raced in so long AND because it’s super hot. Obviously I don’t want to train at my 10-mile trail run pace on the track, even though that was my last race. I try to keep the intervals as consistent as possible and vary the distances of them, to work both speed and endurance.

9. harveylisam says:

An Indian buffet sounds like a pretty interesting experience! And delicious, of course haha. Looking forward to reading your race recap 🙂