Sept 1-7 Recap: Training for the Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Mile and Fall Equinox 10K

I hope everyone’s had a great week and got to relax some this weekend, even if it was shorter than last weekend (for those of us who had Labor Day off work). At least with a 4-day work week, the next weekend arrives sooner…

It was crazy hot here in Charleston this past week, which is nothing new. Even if the heat index is 108, September is officially here so we are buying all things pumpkin. I always wonder why Target doesn’t devote a section of the store to pumpkin products so it’s not like a scavenger hunt.

10623115_745702665493535_5042561326705586004_n

I haven’t had a Pumpkin Spice Latte yet, but I’ve made pumpkin spice protein shakes for breakfast. I combined 1/3 cup canned pumpkin, a serving of vanilla protein powder (I prefer Naturade’s VeganSmart; any protein will work), pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, and cinnamon to taste, almond milk, and ice- then I blend it to the consistency of a Frappuccino.

Starbucks doesn’t sell a pumpkin spice Frappuccino, and this shake keeps me full until lunch. If you’re a coffee fan, you can add some of that too. Give it a shot if you’re looking for a new post-workout breakfast for the Fall.

This week, I ran a total of 41.5 miles, with one BodyPump class and one yoga class.

Monday: 7 miles on the Wannamaker North Trail in Goose Creek. I would never run this trail alone (you should always tag along with friends on a trail), so I was glad that Howie set up a group run for Labor Day. Howie, Mark, Stuart, Tina, and I had a great time, but I didn’t realize a trail in Goose Creek could actually have hills.

10616701_10152200233710194_1920884477688346450_n

The Wannamaker Trail is pretty technical with hills and roots but a great training run for the Raccoon Pond Rush 10 mile race, which is this Saturday.

Tuesday: 6.2 miles around flat Mt. Pleasant. I planned to run the Cooper River Bridge since this was the only day I could get a hill workout in this week, but I decided to scrap that. My quads were trashed from the trail and it was muggy and miserable, but I negative split each mile.

Wednesday: BodyPump (1 hour). BodyPump was packed because my gym has altered the class schedule and people who normally went in the afternoons came this morning.

That afternoon, I ran 3.5 miles, including 4 x 400 at the Citadel track. The football players were practicing, so we had music and that was nice.

Thursday: No morning workout. I headed off to the gym a little too late and hit a crazy traffic nightmare (gotta love West Ashley), so I ended up turning around and picking up a few things from Walmart so I could get home and to work on time. Note to self: Leave at 5:40 next time to beat  the crazy drivers.

Thursday evening, I went to the TryThursday event at TrySports. They host this every month, and you run from store to store in Mt. Pleasant Towne Center and gather tickets. After an hour, you return to the TrySports store and turn in your tickets and they have prize drawings for shoes, gift cards, socks, watches, free race entries, and even a bike. The run was almost 4 miles.

20140904_182258

This month, people dressed up as zombies to promote the Charleston RunDead 5K. so we all took selfies with the zombies for a contest.

20140904_190834

Friday: Rest. I was busy with non-running activities and went out for Mexican food with my mom.

Saturday: Virginia, Bill, and I ran 11 miles downtown, and I ran 2 miles on my own before we ran, for a total of 13 miles. They are training for the Kiawah Marathon. We planned to run 10 miles but the run ended up at 11 when we arrived at Brittlebank Park. It rained on us, and we saw a double rainbow running on East Bay Street- ironically, where Charleston’s famous Rainbow Row is. Unfortunately none of us were running with our phones to get the picture…

From the run, Virginia and I went to the Downward Facing Riverdog yoga event at the Charleston Riverdogs baseball stadium. I won free tickets from InTown.com (if you’re in Charleston, check out InTown.com for local deals, giveaways, and things to do- they are awesome!).

We did yoga for 45 minutes, but it was cut short by a big blast of thunder and started pouring rain. I’ve been rained on during many runs, but this is the first time I’ve been rained on at yoga. Everyone quickly cleared the field after the thunder, but the class was fun while it lasted.

Later, Clay and I went out for our traditional Saturday afternoon lunch. We tried Red Orchid in West Ashley and it didn’t disappoint. I inhaled my shrimp, green beans, fried rice, and spring roll.

Sunday: I ran 8 miles with the OnShore Run Club. It was really tough and my legs were feeling this week’s mileage. I ran with local running legend Bob Schlau, who has run over 70 marathons and Olympic trials. He has some amazing stories and is one of the few people to run every Cooper River Bridge Run.

I didn’t feel so great after the run, so I skipped our usual brunch and came home to drink a protein shake and rest.

This Saturday, I have the Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Mile Trail Run, which I’m using as my weekly long run. The event benefits the the Lowcountry Autism Foundation, which works with families to provide services they need as well as help for the kids. It’s not a goal race, but it’ll be a great aided training run and insta-PR. We have breakfast and mimosas afterward, and if you’re in the Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area, you can still register in person if you want to run too.

This entry was posted in 10 Milers, Goose Creek, Trail running, Training Log, West Ashley, Yoga and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Sept 1-7 Recap: Training for the Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Mile and Fall Equinox 10K

1. Pam says:

Pumpkin flavored anything seems to be showing up on all the store shelves now. So many people are crazy about that taste. Your comment about never running a trail on your own is a good one. I am a chicken anyway, and unless it is in my neighborhood, I rarely run by myself. We have TrySports here in Wilmington with the same once a month event but I have yet to participate. Maybe next month!

Yep, every TrySports store has it and it’s all on the same night. You should definitely go out for it, if it’s anything like the one here it’s pretty awesome. I still haven’t won any prizes but the last one, I got a free pair of socks for trying on compression sleeves. They have refreshments after ours as well, and the prizes are good, like shoes and race entries and stuff. You’d really like it!

2. Equinox, as in, it’s hosted by the one and only world famous gym?!

I’ve never heard of an Equinox gym, guess we don’t have that here (Charleston is rather lacking in the gym area…)

The 10K is in honor of the Fall Equinox which occurs on Sept. 23

3. Liz says:

That’s a lot of miles! Those green beans look so good. I used to hate green beans but they’re one of the few veggies Jon likes, so I started making them and now I want them all the time (I actually have some for lunch). I’m so impressed with people that get up early to work out. I don’t think I could ever do it regularly. I just went on some trails here that seem like they’d be nice to run! I really like trail running but haven’t found many great ones in Atlanta! I should really buy some mace cause I’m always on trails by myself!

Once I got used to working out early, it got easier. I just started waking up at like 5 AM and when you naturally wake up at 5… there is really not much else to do but work out…

I own mace, but I never run with it. I don’t really know how to use it, so I’d probably end up just hurting myself more. I think if you generally run in safe, very populated, areas or with others, you’re okay not having mace.

• Liz says:

I don’t! Well, I typically do to run, but I should have it for hiking. I go quite awhile on trails without seeing people and I do it all the time! Oh well!

4. I love pumpkin!!!! It’s been icky hot here in western nc too. Not quite index of 108 though!! So funny it rained and thundered on your yoga class because it did on our Wednesday yoga class too!! lol nice weekly miles!

Thanks girly, I think this is peak week (it’s hard to really schedule for a race on a Tuesday). Gonna go easy on the overall mileage for the next 2 weeks and do more speedwork. Hope it cools down some for you too!

5. I love that so many baseball stadiums are offering big yoga events, especially because of the great names! I missed the Reds sliding into Om but I heard it was great!
    Also thanks for stopping by LunchItPunchIt and entering to win a lunch bag.

6. I am not breaking down to get a PSL until October. I want it to feel a bit more fall like first, still too hot here.

7. Love your pumpkin spice smoothie recipe- I make one similar to that sometimes- so delicious!

Yup, it’s great! Sometimes you can even just sprinkle the spice itself into a shake or into coffee and it enhances the flavor, if you don’t want or have other ingredients. I kinda like the thicker texture I get from mixing the pumpkin into the shake, though.

8. Amy!! I’ve been going through your entries and trying to catch up! I think that I’m all caught up in reading now, so I can start replying to your posts, again. Here’s to trying to stay caught up. 🙂

I’m so.glad that the races have been well for you and that your post-injury training is going uphill.

That shrimp lunch looks phenomenal. Shrimp is one of the few seafood items I will eat… there’s so many different ways to try it. And bonus, it’s one of the “elegant” foods I can get buy with on a tight budget. Hehe.

Yes, we are arriving pumpkin season! Our pumpkin spice latte started this sweek. Yum. Can’t wait to try it, again. I’e never had Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes… someday though. I actually haven’t had a Starbucks drink for months. I’ve been brewing my own coffee, having gas station coffee, or I use my employee discount for one at work.

I like the funny picture with your friends. 🙂

Good luck training for the raccoon race! Heat index of 102 would kill me. Ick… it got plenty humid up here in the 90s. Can’t wait for it to cool down.

Thanks, yeah this is my first race since July, and I’m not even really racing it (I plan to “race” the 10K, not the 10 mile). I’m mostly going to… enjoy the atmosphere… on Saturday.

I haven’t had a Pumpkin Spice Latte yet either, I want slightly cooler weather before I drink one. I usually just brew coffee in my keurig or either drink gas station coffee from some of the nicer gas stations here. Starbucks isn’t close so I don’t go there very much.

I really love shrimp. It’s hard to believe I used to be completely vegetarian. Still, I only eat seafood and not chicken/pork/beef etc.

9. slimsanity says:

LOL that pumpkin graphic. Hilarious!

10. Run To Munch says:

Looks tasty! I agree, all pumpkin things should just be in one aisle so i can save a ton of time!

Also that looks tasty!

Great job on the runs this week!

11. LilMysNinja says:

Great training week! I love the zombie photos. That looked like fun!
    If only I liked pumpkin…