Life Lately: Parties, publications, and more storm craziness

Today I wanted to share some pictures and updates from the past few weeks.

Last weekend, I attended not one but *two* birthday parties. The first party was for Virginia’s daughter, Stella, who is one year old!

Of course, first birthday parties are a big event for the kid, but it’s still mostly adults hanging out- we had pizza, cake, beer, watermelon, and spiked watermelon punch. Stella’s favorite food is watermelon, so the party was pink and green and watermelon themed (pretty sure she liked the watermelon more than her birthday cake).

She got lots of great gifts and we spent a few hours swimming in the pool. Stella’s lucky that she’ll always get to have pool parties- with my October birthday, it’s never happening.

I can’t believe Stella is one- we went out to Moe’s Crosstown Tavern for dinner Tuesday night (half priced burger night), and Stella was sitting in the booth eating a PB&J and looked so grown up. Here’s a throwback picture from our first trip to Roly Poly last year.

The second party was for my friend Paul, who turned 50. After the Sunday OnShore Racing group run, we celebrated in Hampton Park. In honor of his 50th birthday, Paul ran, walked, and biked 50 miles (a combination of activities) that day.

10440871_10153057579320283_6860521420755721192_n

Fifty miles of anything is serious business and requires fueling, refueling, and hydration, so we had brunch catered by Moe’s Crosstown Tavern (best quiche ever) and microbrews. Good times!

In other happy news, I had an article published in the Francis Marion University alumni magazine, The View. I wrote the article a few months ago, and the alumni association director mailed me a few copies of the magazine. This is my second article for The View, which is published twice a year and a neat way to stay connected with my alma mater and practice a different type of writing.

We’ve had more crazy storms here in Charleston. A few nights ago, during a bad storm, a giant bottle of milk on the Coburg Dairy sign was damaged and removed from the sign. Fortunately, the big bottle of milk didn’t fall on anything or anyone, but the sign looks very different now.

Picture 102

Every week is a slow news week here in West Ashley, so it made the local paper’s front page.

I hope everyone’s had a great week and has fun plans for the weekend- mine won’t be as exciting without all the parties, but Clay’s family is coming to see us before they leave for a cruise and we’ll go out to lunch. Lots of football watching is in our future! Happy Friday!

This entry was posted in Avondale/West Ashley, West Ashley and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Life Lately: Parties, publications, and more storm craziness

1. Birthday parties are always fun, that was a cool way to celebrate turning 50 too! Congrats on getting published in your alma maters publication again, make sure to save a copy!

Thanks! Yeah, I have two copies. I figure I’ll save one and I’ll give one to my parents. I like having one here at the house to show people. I wish I could find the article online, but I haven’t seen it.

2. allieksmith says:

Congrats on getting published! That’s a big deal!! I bet it feels pretty good to be connected to your Alma Matter! I think both of the birthday parties you went to sound like fun! I love watermelon and I think biking/running/walking 50 miles is such a cool idea!

I can’t believe all of the crazy storms you guys have been getting! Is that normal for your area this time of year? I was just telling Jimmy about the picture you posted of the sky being totally light during a late night storm and we was like “whoa!!” haha. We have been getting a few storms, but nothing too bad. Most flooding in some parts of Pittsburgh. Our power did get knocked out the other morning, so that was a (first world) bummer, haha.

Oh, we always have crazy weather in Charleston. Mostly just crazy hot this week, though. No storms. There’s lots of flooding here, especially in the downtown areas. Ironically, we don’t lose power! I think the whole time we’ve lived down here, we have only lost power one time and that was for one hour!

3. Christine says:

Haha! The cowtipping article. Awesome. The storms here have been crazy lately. My beagles hate it! Congrats on getting published (again). 🙂

Yeah, my neighbor’s dogs have been going crazy too in the storms. I actually think the cow sign looks better without the big milk and don’t care if they replace it or not… 🙂

4. harveylisam says:

Not going to lie, I kind of love crazy summer weather. Of course, except it’s not cool when it causes damage.

Congrats on the article publication!

5. We have had some nutso weather here recently. So crazy.

6. LilMysNinja says:

I saw the photo of the tipped milk bottle. I love driving by that thing whenever we’re in town.
    Congrats on your published article. Looks like you’ve had a blast!

7. ha that’s an awesome headline, poor cow! I remember seeing that when I visited.

Congrats on your publication too!

8. Pam says:

So nice that you were published for a second time. That is huge, since one time might be luck, but second time means it was not just good fortune, Very exciting news. How sad about the milk bottle. I remember when the Old Man in the Mountain of North Conway, NH crumbled and we were so sad. I had planned to take some friends from England there to see it.

Thanks! Yeah i was delighted they asked me to write another article. I hope they ask again, it’s only a twice a year publication, so it’s not a huge time commitment.

If the cow itself fell, people here would be extremely sad and distraught. Different parties have tried to get the cow sign removed over the years but failed.

9. Kara says:

Congratulations on your article! I love reading my alumni magazine. So awesome you’re published in yours! Oh and YAY FOR FOOTBALL WATCHING!! I’m so excited for that too 🙂

10. Congrats on your article getting published! That is awesome Amy! 🙂