Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Mile Trail Run and Relay and Fall Race Plans

After running consistently for the past few weeks, I’ve topped out at just over 30 miles per week over the past two weeks. I’m still cross training, rebuilding my fitness, and surviving the Charleston heat and humidity.

s5-40_11_08_14_15_04

Fortunately, September and fall races are fast approaching.

I’m helping my friend (and former TrySports Mt. Pleasant employee) Angi promote a local trail run, the Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Mile Trail Run and Relay. The run benefits the Lowcountry Autism Foundation, a local charity that assists individuals with autism and their families in obtaining diagnoses and finding treatments.

I have several friends whose children are on the autism spectrum and others who work with special needs individuals, and I’m sure everyone knows someone with an autism spectrum disorder or someone affected by the condition.

10517466_692717194096940_8837184652250293327_n

After hearing Angi talk about the charity, I am excited to promote the race and run it myself. The Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Mile Run takes place on the Jericho Horse Trails in Huger, which is just west of Mt. Pleasant, and the event features a solo event along with a 2-person and 4-person relay, so it offers a distance for everyone.

I’ve never participated in a 10-mile race, so it’ll be an instant personal record, and I plan to replace a Saturday long run and enjoy a new-to-me trail. It’s fun to start Fall off with a race distance I haven’t completed because it’s purely for fun and without any previous expectations of a finish time. You can’t ever predict a time in a trail race, anyway.

Plus, the finish line party has breakfast and mimosas, so recovery will be pretty fun.

10561541_717551080553_7325632800717578707_n

Along with Raccoon Pond Rush, I plan to run a few local 5Ks this Fall and hopefully PR. My current PR was from the Coffin Island 5K in April, and I wasn’t even feeling that great the days before. I’m hoping that a cutback week of resting up before a 5K can help me break into the 21-minute zone, but I haven’t picked out a 5K goal race yet.

Anyone else out there making Fall running plans? Or Fall plans in general? I’d love to hear.

This entry was posted in 10 Milers, Mt Pleasant, Raccoon Pond Rush, Trail running and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Raccoon Pond Rush 10 Mile Trail Run and Relay and Fall Race Plans

1. Hollie says:

That sounds like it will be a great time. My fall plans are still in the air until I figure out exactly how I’m feeling and what would I would be ready for.

2. ahellams says:

I love 10 milers, they are such a fun distance. I may have to add this one to my list, or maybe have casey do the relay with me. I still have Raleigh in my hope though these long runs in August are for the birds!

3. davetrautman says:

Don’t be so sure about the personal record. I ran one 10-miler, the last one that Mike and Patt Loggins held on Folly Island. Their clock broke and I was never issued an official time.

Yikes! Anything can happen, of course, but Eagle Endurance (Chad) is timing this one and he does a great job. Plus with Angi and some other runners helping with it, I’m sure they will do everything in their power to make sure it goes smoothly. I’d be really peeved if I ran a race and didn’t get a time though!

4. Jane Likes to Run says:

Fall is the best racing time. I melted for sure this summer as well. I am thinking of doing my first 50k in October. Just thinking about it scares me a little!

Good luck with the 50K! We have one coming up in a few weeks here and I have some friends participating. Ultras seem really different from marathons and the people who do them are very nice, I hope you enjoy it!

5. Amy says:

I am planning a fall half and it is difficult! On the one hand, Denver has a RnR half that goes through my neighborhood so that would be great (training on the course). BUT I like small, local races where I get to see and experience a new course. But I should probably run in my own city sometime. Such a difficult decision! I am sure you can PR in the 5K, speedy! I want to set an altitude PR for a half running in Colorado.

I also like smaller, local races. I’m not a huge fan of crowds so the Charleston Half Marathon was the biggest race I’ve done. Of course, any really local race like that is tempting if it’s that close by, even if it is a bigger Rock and Roll race.

Good luck with an altitude PR! I really can’t imagine training at altitude at all because we’re at sea level here (quite literally… ) and it’s flat.

6. harveylisam says:

30 miles a week is pretty amazing! I’m at like 10 miles a week if I’m lucky haha. Lazy bum.

7. I am doing a few fall half marathons.
    An instant 10 mile PR does sound fun though:)

8. allieksmith says:

Yay for instant PRs and helping your friend promote the race! 10 mile races are a blast because they’re not soo long like a full or half marathon, but not over before you know it like a 5k or 10k!!

9. Jan says:

I love doing a new distance for the first time–no pressure!! I should look for some weird random distances this fall that I haven’t tried. Love the races that are for a good cause too!

10. I’m running a half here in Pittsburgh next month, Ragnar next month as well, then a fall marathon in Savannah!!

11. That race sounds amazing- wish I lived closer so I could participate! My calendar is chock full of races in Sept and I am adding a few in Oct before my first half in Nov…such a busy but fun time!!!

12. LilMysNinja says:

Breakfast and mimosas for a finish line party?! Yes please!