July Running/Workout Recap

Last July, I ran 160 miles training for the Darlington Marathon.

Needless to say, I didn’t come close to that mileage this July, since I’m recovering from the injury (and not training for a marathon)- but I had quite a few solid runs and lots of cross training. July wasn’t my highest mileage or fastest month ever, but I’m proudly hitting the pavement 4-5 times a week again.

Running Mileage: 87 miles, including the final Race the Landing 5K (All American Night). A few of these were run/walk miles from the first two weeks of July.

Cycling Mileage: 189 miles (9 spin classes)

BodyPump: 7 classes

BodyFlow: 1 class

I also took a few complete rest days, like the Saturday when Clay and I visited his parents. Running keeps me busy when I’m not with my family, so I like to make the most of my (limited) family time and not think about running.

I’ve eased back in, so I haven’t run intervals or ventured back to the track. After the cuboid stress reaction, I don’t want to risk another injury. The first week of July, I ran/walked 9 miles, followed by 13, 22, 25, and 17 miles so far this week. I’ve also built my long run up to 8 miles, and once I get my weekly mileage into the 30-35 range, I’ll integrate speed into that.

10251927_700486273563_4937807649435352821_n_thumb.jpg

Although hot, August is one of the best months of the year because college football begins. An amazing Fall weekend begins with your high school team winning on Friday night, a fun Saturday morning run or race, and spending Saturday afternoon recovering on the couch, cheering on your favorite college teams.

1424398_673464799813_1716425877_n

Tailgating rocks too, and hopefully we’ll spend at least one Saturday driving two hours up I-26 to Williams Brice Stadium to see the Gamecocks (I promise we’ve been since 2008, guess I just didn’t take pics).

Copy of Picture 022

For August, I have *zero* race plans. Let’s be honest, the heat and humidity are brutal and not many races occur in South Carolina this month. I’d rather rebuild my mileage instead of running a mediocre race, taxing my body, and spending the next few days recovering from it.

Since I’m not racing, I’m going to join about 40 other crazy Charleston/Mt. Pleasant running friends on the MooreOnRunning Road Trip, where we run 5 trails all over South Carolina in a single day. Fun trails and fun people- what better way to rebuild my monthly mileage? In a few weeks, my friend Paul is attempting a 50K in honor of turning 50, so I plan to support and run a bit with him (crewing, I guess).

Here’s to an August filled with fun, friends, fitness, and football!

DSCN7523_thumb.jpg

This entry was posted in Injury, Training Log and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to July Running/Workout Recap

1. Liz says:

That’s a pretty good month even with easing back in! It’s good to have family time without worrying about running! Besides, you still had pretty good weeks! I’m dreading going back to the heat in Atlanta this week! It has been so nice up here! I forget how miserable working out in the summer is down there!

You are so right about the heat here. I noticed in your blog and Facebook pictures how you’re wearing more clothes up there because I guess it is a lot cooler. I can’t imagine NOT wearing shorts, tank tops, etc working out down here right now… or all the time… because the heat can be really intense.

• Liz says:

I wear shorts still most of the time unless I’m near the water, but that breeze makes it chilly up here! I went to the beach the other day for 1 1/2 hours and didn’t sweat AT ALL cause of the breeze! It’s such a nice change! I could come here every summer!

I guess that’s one really cool thing about travel nursing- you get to experience different temperature changes and could plan assignments around things like heat!

2. carmyy says:

Rest up! You’re right, no point in risking an injury! Running in the heat is the worse… I just want to lay down and cry on the side of the trails when it gets too hot

Yeah, running in the heat is hard. I like it though, it always makes me feel pretty strong in the Fall, but it’s hard to come back from an injury that you got when the weather was cooler, and obviously the temps increased a lot in those 7 weeks I was out, but anyway. It took about 2 weeks to really adapt to the heat again.

3. Christine says:

Congrats on building your mileage back up to 8 miles on a long run! August and September are two of my favorite months of the year. I love your idea of a perfect weekend!

4. Awesome month of easing back in. I am so excited about football too.

5. Amy says:

I think you have been so smart about building your mileage up. Yay! And that trail run around SC sounds perfect. I want to come!

6. Kara says:

YES!!! College football after a long run is the best. I look forward to that all year round, haha.