Life Lately: Lunch at CO, New Shoes, and Potluck Pool Party

After two very stressful months, July’s been great so far. May and June felt like a cruel summer (cue Ace of Base tunes that stick in your head), so it was time for more happiness and fun in life.

On Saturday, Clay and I went downtown for lunch at CO, a Vietnamese restaurant that we read about on Yelp. Abby, who runs and blogs at BackAtSquareZero, bragged about it on Facebook, and after seeing pictures of the food and menus, we just had to go. Our college friend Damien was off work and joined us as well.

1476443_571288279607743_691418392_n

Co’s received several well-deserved awards, and we loved it. Both the guys had noodle dishes- Clay had the Curry Laska and I don’t remember what Damien had, and they also shared a dumpling appetizer. The portions were pretty big. I got the green papaya salad with extra shrimp instead of pork.  The salad was really unique, because it had shredded papaya as the base rather than lettuce or greens, and the nuts gave it a nice crunch.

CO also has separate gluten-free and vegan menus if you have dietary restrictions or prefer that, and they happily substituted for the extra shrimp on my salad.  They work hard to keep everyone’s dietary needs in mind and everyone’s tummies happy, and for the three of us, they met that goal. We will definitely be back.

After leaving CO, Clay and I stopped by The Extra Mile, a local running store 2 doors down from the restaurant. The store is closing after 25 years because the owners are retiring and got a great offer on the building. I hate to see a local business close, especially a local running store, but we couldn’t turn down the 40% off sale. Clay got a new pair of Saucony Stabil shoes, and I tried on the Mizuno Wave Hitogami, which I’d been eyeing for awhile.

Anyway, I left the store empty-handed because I wasn’t 100% set on the Hitogamis and I’m watching my running budget so I can sign up for a few races this Fall. Plus, I had to take Clay to Mt. Pleasant to pick up his car from the shop.

Later that afternoon, I had “saver’s remorse” and regretted leaving the shoes, so I made another trip downtown and ran back to the store, hoping the shoes were still there (with 40% off, everyone was leaving that store with a bag containing a shoebox). I tried them on again and got them for $60 plus tax- score for this house poor girly!

I ran an easy 4-miler in the Hitogamis and really like them so far. It’s a slightly lower drop than I’m used to, but the shoes are very lightweight and conform to your feet. They have a surprising amount of support for such a lightweight shoe, and I can see myself racing a few 10Ks in them this Fall.

On Sunday, I headed to Rocky’s house for OnShore Racing’s monthly pool party and potluck. Since the World Cup Finale game between Germany and Argentina was Sunday, we had a World Cup theme with foods from those countries (I took pretzels and cookies- after all, Germany is known for pretzels and baked goods).

I didn’t take any food pictures, but we also had delicious pancakes with whipped nutella cream thanks to Dave, breakfast potatoes and frittata thanks to Rocky, and lots of pastries and beer.

Unfortunately, it rained almost the whole time, so we ended up spending most of the afternoon indoors, but the food was delicious and the company was great.

Virginia did an awesome job with the decorations and organizing the party, and everyone really enjoyed it. Normally we all run on Sunday morning and head to Moe’s for brunch, but the potluck was a really nice change of pace and gave some of the cooks a chance to show off.

I hope everyone’s having a great summer so far and making lots of memories with friends and family- I know I have been.

This entry was posted in Charleston Food, Downtown, OnShore Racing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Life Lately: Lunch at CO, New Shoes, and Potluck Pool Party

1. Hollie says:

That restaurant looks and sounds really unique. They aren’t lying when they say that Charleston is the foodie city. Glad you got the shoes, better getting an extremely cheap pair then waiting and having to pay twice that much later…

I was really shocked to see such new models in the store for 40% off (I guess I thought they wouldn’t have new-ish stuff if they knew they were closing??). The Hitogami just came out this year. I figured for the price, even if they didn’t work out for running, they would be worth it for the gym since I do a lot of classes.

2. carmyy says:

Saver’s Remorse is definitely a thing. I still regret the shorts I didn’t pick up MONTHS ago. My boyfriend said I had too many pairs so I left them in the store and now I can’t stop thinking about it ): Those shoes are adorable and was definitely worth it especially with the sale (being pink helps too!)!!

3. Woohoo for our twin Hitogami! And so happy you enjoyed Co. I loved how flexible and helpful they were with my GF needs.

I think the dish I got was GF as well, after I looked at that menu when I got home. They didn’t have a copy of the Veg/GF menu in the restaurant, but I could pretty much figure out what was veg friendly. I really like it when restaurants are accommodating like that, though.

4. Love the shoes! I would have gone back for them as well. I didn’t know the store was closing! Man, I would have probably spent way too much money if I had!

Last I heard, they’re still open for another week or so, but everything’s going pretty fast. Everyone was walking out of there with shoes. The hard part is finding a time to go because they close at 5 PM (and always have closed at that time).

5. Liz says:

I can’t pass up shoes that I want on sale! I really like those shoes! I would also really like whipped nutella cream! That sounds awesome!!!! That food looks really good! I hate walking into restaurants that say “no substitutions.” If you pay all that money, they should be willing to make easy switches! So I always appreciate the places that will do pretty much anything you ask for!

The whipped nutella was great on the pancakes because it was rich but a little…. thinner… than regular nutella so not as overpowering on the pancakes.

I am also not a fan of when a menu says no substitutions. I pretty much always look at menus before I even go to a restaurant though, so if there’s nothing I care to eat, I usually find somewhere else.

6. Run To Munch says:

I love getting shoes on sale! I stockpile them.

All the food is so tasty looking which reminds me that it’s time for a snack.

Well, I need to throw away those Wave Ronins I got hurt in… if I get injured in a pair of shoes, I won’t wear them anymore (even if the injury isn’t related to the shoes… I just feel like they are cursed now).

So that kinda justifies it, right?

7. Amy says:

Well now I need to read up on these shoes. I love my Sayanoras and I want to know the difference. Mizuno just has too many shoes for me to keep track of. And watching the running budget is always a good idea. Sigh.

8. Yunica says:

I was about to comment “Amy, you need to go back and get the shoes!! 40% off is no joke!!” and then I read the next paragraph. Great life decision 🙂 I hope you have many more happy miles in them.

The food looks amazing too. I love anything with noodles. Mmm.

The noodles looked good, but I think I’d go for a bahn mi sandwich the next time we go to CO. I love the tasty bread that bahn mi sandwiches usually come with.

I was lucky they still had the shoes but really, how many girls wear a size 6-6.5 in a running shoe? I really wish they had the Wave Riders in my size. I would have bought those too.

9. KrisLawrence says:

Those shoes look amazing! I am interested to hear what you think of them after a bit more miles. I always wanted to love Mizunos because, well honestly, they look so cool! but they just never felt right to me. I loved the Sayonaras at first but after 20-30 miles my feet started to hurt.

Oh and that restaurant sounds fantastic! I need to add papaya to my salads.

Mizuno does have the coolest looking shoes out there, I will give them that. They’ve always made snazzy looking shoes. But, you’re totally right- if a shoe isn’t comfortable, looks do not matter. The main thing is that they’re right for your feet- and I hope you found another shoe that worked better than those that did not work for you.

10. Sarah says:

Your lunch and the restaurant sound really good! Always neat to try out new spots 🙂 Love those shoes! Good for you for buying them (because you totally deserve them and they will get solid use), glad they seem like a good fit thus far! Oh the rain, that’s unfortunate but looks like you all still had a great time!!!

11. carmyy says:

Hey Amy! I just nominated you for a Very Inspiring Blogger Award (my most recent blog post)! Check it out 🙂

12. harveylisam says:

Hahah saver’s remorse – I experience that all the time. Though I usually end up caving. 😉 Nice shoes!

13. yay that you got the shoes! and i love that recap of the potluck pool party — sounds so so fun!