Independence Day and Return to Running Celebrations

Hi everyone! I hope you had a wonderful Independence Day long weekend (if you’re in the US and you were fortunate enough to have the day off work).

Clay and I celebrated by playing board games, eating, and shooting off fireworks with our friends David, Nadine, Nadeau, Grace, and their kids.

Since I’m no cook, we supplied snack-y foods and this delicious cookie cake from Harris Teeter.

I didn’t really take many pictures of our escapades, but we had a great time. The guys even had a little audience of neighborhood kids for the fireworks.

It’s hard to believe that one year ago, I spent July 4 running 20 miles at the Pointless 12 Hour Ultra, then hosting a big party at our new home. This year, I ran zero miles, we’ve lived in our home for over a year, and some of the people we celebrated last year have moved on (or moved away).

What a difference a year makes.

I started running again last week and have completed 3 runs. I’m doing run/walk intervals and following Pfitzinger’s Return to Running plan. So far the plan is going well- I don’t mind the run/walk intervals because it’s super hot outside anyway, and it’s helping my body get used to running again.  I’ve been cross training, but cycling, BodyPump, and the elliptical use different muscles and movements.

My most fun run so far was the Try Thursday group run at TrySports Mt. Pleasant. TrySports hosts Try Thursday on the first Thursday of each month, and since Race the Landing didn’t fall on the first Thursday of July, I was finally able to attend Try Thursday!

10525853_806423436058798_2801866489944540414_n-001

Try Thursday is a 3-5 mile group run around Mt. Pleasant, where runners and walkers collect tickets from various businesses. You have one hour to run to the businesses and collect as many tickets as possible, with each ticket giving you an entry into the prize giveaways– we’re talking gift certificates, shirts, water bottles, and even free shoes. There’s no prize for getting back to TrySports first, so we took our time and enjoyed it.

Try Thursday had a great turnout, and it was fun running with friends who I hadn’t seen in awhile, due to vacation/work/sickness/injury/schedules. After the run, we had refreshments and free beer, and while I didn’t win any prizes, I consider a pain-free 3.2 easy miles a pretty big win. Thanks TrySports for a great run and event!

10325689_806425239391951_7181451155646792095_n

As for this week, I’m still cross training and running intervals, but I’m excited about participating in the final Race the Landing and not standing on the sidelines. Regardless of how hot, humid, hard, or hilly a course is… running always beats being injured.

Happy training!

Try Thursday pictures are courtesy of TrySports Mt. Pleasant’s Facebook page.

This entry was posted in Believe Achieve Run Club, Holidays, Injury, Mt Pleasant, TrySports Ambassador and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Independence Day and Return to Running Celebrations

1. KrisLawrence says:

I am so glad to hear you are running again!! Great news!!

2. Sounds like your recovery is going well. Look forward to reading about your return to racing with Race the Landing.

Thanks, I’m not setting my hopes too high, coming off an injury and running in the heat, but any run beats being injured. Plus the events are always really, really fun 🙂

3. Congrats on getting back out there running. Let me know how that return to running plan works for you! Man that cookie looks really good!

Thanks- I might review the plan when I finish with it. When I found it online, I tried to find other running bloggers who had used it, and I couldn’t find anyone (surely I’m not the only person who isn’t “coached”, right?).

So far it’s going pretty well.

4. Adrienne says:

Welcome back! Now I need to get back out there. I’ve been nursing an injured toe for 2 weeks. Almost all better tho! Have a great week!

5. I am so glad you get to participate in the last race too.
    Oh, and that cookie cake… looks amazing!

6. Amy says:

I remember your 12 hour ultra last year! I am doing one as a relay this weekend and I cannot wait. I will probably only do 10 miles, but there is a possibility I will be doing 20. Yikes!

• Amy says:

And I hit “post” too soon…Good to hear you are slowly and smartly getting back to running!

Thanks! Yeah, good luck with your 10 or 20. That’s hard to prepare for when you’re not quite sure of the distance and there’s a big difference in 10 and 20 (if it’s legs, at least you get a break, right?)

7. kristenk says:

Yay for getting back to running! That sounds like a fun first run back!

8. Tina Muir says:

What a delicious looking cookie…cake…..yummy thing…I LOVE those!!! I am glad running is coming back together for you, soon it will be building too fast and you will be worried it is too fast, but makes you enjoy every step! Good to put things in perspective 🙂

Honestly, I’m kinda dreading the later runs where it’s run 25 minutes, no walk breaks, etc. Mainly because it’s so hot here that I kinda *enjoy* the walk breaks.

When I get to that run, I’ll obviously listen to my body and still take the breaks when I need them. It’s almost impossible NOT to take little breaks (or slow the pace way down) when you’re running in SC during the summer months.

9. Liz says:

Good job getting back to running! I can’t believe I ever ran in Georgia. I did 1.5 miles today during CrossFit and was DYING. But I think I lost all motivation to run. Ah well. Good luck counting your pain free runs 🙂

10. Run To Munch says:

Love the cake!

Yay for painfree runs too!

11. harveylisam says:

Oh man, that cookie looks like heaven. I’m glad you’re getting back out there and not having any pain! That’s the most important thing. 🙂

Yeah, it was pretty heavenly, i suppose :). I’m glad I haven’t had any pain. I’m kinda paranoid about it, but it figures I’ll be like that for a few weeks.

12. Pam says:

Thrilled with your news that you are back to running. The Try Sports here also does those events, but my running practice is usually Thursday so I have not made it yet. Need to change that in September!

This was only the second one I made it to, but I’m glad I can go to the rest of them. The regular run clubs are fun too but Try Thursday is the best :). It’s a great family event all around, good for all levels too.