June Run-Free Recap: Goose-egg month

Everyone else in the blog world is recapping their June workouts, so why not me?

injured runner

Due to my calcaneal stress reaction, I ran ZERO miles in June. My doctor advised me to take 6-8 weeks off running- due to it being a less common injury, he treated it more like a stress fracture. In 2010, I was diagnosed with severe anemia (hello hemoglobin of 7.3!) and took a month off running, but I was diagnosed in mid-May and got to run in June, so this is my first official “goose egg” month.

What is it with me getting injured in May? At least I waited 4 years after anemia for another extended layoff…

Fullscreen capture 6302014 52507 PM.bmp

I haven’t been running, but I’ve been busy. According to DailyMile, here are my June cross-training-like-a-maniac stats:

Cycle/Spin: 258 miles (13 classes)

BodyPump: 9 classes

BodyFlow: 2 classes

Elliptical: 32 miles

My gym also fixed the stair climber at the end of June, so I logged 25 minutes (averaging 75 steps per minute) on it Sunday afternoon while watching World Cup action. I like the stair climber more than the elliptical, so I’m glad it’s fixed.

I also volunteered at two Race the Landing 5K events (finish line water/refreshments) and the OnShore Racing Thirsty Thursday series (registration table).

May and June have been tough with real life. But July looks promising…

• I get to run again- obviously exciting! I plan to continue cross training each day and not run on back-to-back days until I’m absolutely sure I won’t have any pain in my left foot.
  • I can participate in the last Race the Landing- and not just by cheering and passing out water. I may have to take some walk breaks, but since our heat index has been over 100 lately, I doubt I will be the only person walking part of it.
  • I’m getting new running shoes. I’m thinking either the Mizuno Wave Rider 17 or Saucony Ride… any thoughts?
  • Clay and I are both off work for July 4 and have a long weekend. We don’t have definite plans yet, but it’s nice to have a day off to spend together. I think we’ll wind up inviting friends over and grilling.

It’s been a cruel summer, but I’m looking forward to a brighter future and hoping to be 100% by Fall!

1907374_734995849896307_24984535513848087_n

This entry was posted in Injury and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to June Run-Free Recap: Goose-egg month

1. Hollie says:

Rest is the best thing your body can do.

What were you running in before?
    Both the mizuno and saucony are good shoes, Mizuno is a bit more narrow and a more firmer ride. Saucony is wider.

The Mizuno Wave Precision was my favorite shoe ever, along with the Elixirs. They’re both discontinued now. I’ve worn the Wave Riders, Precisions, Elixirs, Ronins, and Inspires. The lady where I got my orthotic from said I need a neutral shoe since the stability was increasing my foot rolling to the side.

I’ve never had Saucony, but I read a lot of good things about them online and they felt great in the store. The Ride 7 has some good reviews out there.

• Laur says:

I just got the ride 7 and I really, really like them. I have run in Brookes since… well, forever… and these made me want to switch. They’re not as wide as Brookes so you don’t feel like you’re moving around too much, but they aren’t so tight your foot feels like a sausage. I really like the low heel/toe drop, too. It makes you feel like you’re running is more natural.

I have a pretty narrow foot, and I do agree Brooks run wider (I think Mizuno naturally runs narrow and small, which is probably why I’ve mostly run in those).

The main reason I’m debating the Ride 7, not just because they felt good in the store, is the 8mm drop… I think a slightly lower drop might help a bit with footstrike and avoiding injuries.

2. Pam says:

Glad you counting down to the end of your rest post injury. I do not know anything about the shoes you mentioned since I only run in Brooks. By the way, I love that you adorned your race day shirt with pearls….too cute!

3. Adrienne says:

Glad to hear you are on the mend! After a very long house renovation, I’ll be getting back to it slowly in July as well. Lucky for us- the rest of the year is ahead! Plenty of time for running. Hope to see you out there!

Thanks girly! I’m glad you’ll be running again soon too.

BTW, sorry I missed seeing you at Southend the other night- we ended up going out for Clay’s birthday, so I didn’t go. Hopefully I’ll see you soon though!

4. harveylisam says:

Cross training like a maniac is right! Sorry to hear that May and June have been rough for you. Hope things turn around this month ❤

5. d20girl says:

Wow, you did keep active! I thought I was the only one who still liked the stair climber more than the elliptical. It’s hard to even find one anymore. Hope you have a wonderful, run-full July!

Thanks- I hope it’s a RUN-derful month as well.

I like the stair climber better… I guess the elliptical is too much like running and that’s hard when you can’t run. At least cycling, yoga, weights, and stairs are different motions.

6. Wow. You got tons of cross training workouts in. I am sure that will pay off as you come back.

I hope so. Cross training is all so different than running though! I hate that i’ve missed out on speedwork and also training in the heat, but at least it’s still hot for a few more months while I’m coming back. I feel like the heat makes me a stronger runner come Fall.

7. nevie b. says:

I give you so much props for staying busy and involved while you’re not running. I went total hermit mode and make the excuse that I had grad school to focus on, but I definitely could have used the time to cross-train and volunteer at races. The fact that you did so much cycling and volunteered at races instead of just being a grumpypus about not being able to run (and DAMN those are some high mileage months!) is a testament to your positivity!

Yeah, those months were all running, but my mileage was never *too* high. If anything, it was too low for what I was training for when I did the marathon. The August mileage was so high because I did my long runs on Saturdays. August 2013 had 5 Saturdays and 2 of them were 20-22 milers. The 59 miles of May were pretty tough too due to sickness.

I got to run for 10 minutes earlier this week and today I get to run for 15. I’m still cross training a lot though. I know I have a lot of miles in the bank, but I just don’t want to get any slower!

8. LilMysNinja says:

Great job on all that cross training! Wow! And that’s awesome that you volunteered. I’ll be doing that later this year for the Harbison trail run they have here. I’m excited to volunteer again. It’s fun!

You’ll be back to running before you know it!