Injury Updates

Over half of my time off due to the cuboid stress reaction injury is over, and counting down to when I’ll be able to run again feels great.

Dark-thirty wake up calls are no joke. I never thought I’d get up at 4:55 for a sport that isn’t running, but it’s happening. I go to BodyPump on Monday and Wednesday, and I spin on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I’ve been on the elliptical as well. The same faces show up every morning for the 6 AM classes, and I feel crazy productive when I’m done with the day’s workout by 7:00.

1907374_707973853393_7937381414792267236_n

While I like the classes, I’m a runner at heart and will be glad for spin and BodyPump to complement my training, not make up my entire week of workouts. One of the most important parts of injury recovery is addressing why you got hurt in the first place, and last Saturday, I visited The Foot Store North in North Charleston to talk to a lady named Carolyn about my feet, inserts, and orthotics.

I underpronate on my left foot, rolling heavily to the lateral side where the cuboid bone is. I left with recommendations for new shoes as well as a special wedge insert to help my left foot roll medially instead of walking and running with pressure on the side of my foot. I’m using the insert when I walk now and will use it for running in a few short weeks.

As for running, my ortho recommended run/walk intervals for the first few runs, and I found Pete Pfitzinger’s “Returning to Running after a Stress Fracture” plan online. It looks like a good option for transitioning back to running, at least for the first few weeks.

I’ve heard all the arguments against online plans and toward private coaching, but let’s be honest, my running success is limited to local races, not the Olympics, and I run for fun, friendship, and fitness, not for a team or to qualify for Boston. Mainstream plans (modified a bit) and group training programs led by local coaches are the best bang for my running budget, and they’ve worked for me- and countless others- in the past.

Until then, I’ll cross train each day, staying fit and planning for a Fall comeback. And never underestimating how cross training can work your muscles out in a different way and make you break a sweat!

10462890_707976847393_3540189881427855513_n

This entry was posted in Injury and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Injury Updates

1. Glad you are into the “days” countdown now until you are back! Yes, I love Carolyn at The Foot Store. She helped get me in the right inserts for my over-pronation issues. I have to get over and check out the new N. Charleston store. It is time for new shoes as well. Good luck!

The North Charleston store is really nice and also very close for both of us. I’m really glad it’s there, it’s convenient for anyone injured too because it’s right beside The Foot Institute, there are podiatrists there.

I’m not *quite* in the days of counting down but I am very close :).

2. Laur says:

Lol I love the title at the top of the training plan. You’re well on your way! And I believe if you find a plan online which seems reasonable for you, it’s completely fine. It’s not like you’re basing it off of some random Google photo you found of some random “training plan” either… Or one from a blog which we all know would probably not be the most reputable selection. Lol

Yeah, it’s a Pfitzinger plan, and I guess the name makes me trust it. Some of my marathoner friends follow his marathon training plans with lots of success, and I’ve read his book (Road Racing for Serious Runners) and thought it was pretty good.

I was bored and decided to make a cool little version of the training plan in Word. I figured if I’m going to hang it up by my desk and cross workouts off, I wanted it to look cute…

3. I think as long as you aren’t having constant injury problems online plans are perfect.

Yeah, I will definitely add in more cross training, and I’ve seen a lot of plans that I’d add in more running (I did this when I trained for my very first half marathon). But I think this one’s a good one to follow for intervals for the first few weeks back, but knowing me… if I didn’t have intervals set out in front of me on paper, I’d probably try to go above and beyond and run more than I should.

4. You are doing all the right things. I’ve always come back stronger after a stress fracture or injury by cross training. Glad to hear it’s coming along as best as it can!

5. harveylisam says:

I love your drive! There’s no way I’d be getting up that early for spin, and I can’t stand the elliptical. Good for you!

I don’t like it either and would rather be running! But I want to do what I can to come back strong. There’s nothing like seeing everyone else’s running posts on Facebook and volunteering at races to keep you motivated during an injury.

6. Pam says:

Halfway thorough and now you can countdown to your day to lace up your running shoes. You have done great research to prevent any further problems once you get back on track. The cardio classes will really keep your fitness level strong. I never thought a personal coach was necessary. I have however, learned to appreciate my coaches with the running group I joined last fall, Without Limits. They have done alot to help me and I love the group camaraderie.

I love the training groups like that :). I did the half marathon training with TrySports when I moved down, and I was signed up to do the MUSC speedwork program this summer (and got hurt on the first day of the program when I went for a run that morning). To me, group training is really helpful, and that’s what I miss so much with being injured, that even when I can run again, I can’t really run with my friends since I’ll have to do run/walk and take it easier.

• Pam says:

During recovery, can you find a slower group to train with? It will give you a whole new set of friends! Perhaps through your local running store you can find some runners that do the run/walk method.

Yep! I’m thinking about that :). I have a few friends who are walk/runners or beginners, and I really like doing recovery runs with them. I’m thinking that while I’m recovering, I will just go with them and consider it my own run.

7. Jen says:

Wow, your cross training activities are impressive! I tend to get stuck on one activity and do it over and over until it’s time to move onto the next. Right now it’s running 🙂

Thanks! Yeah, even when I was running 5 days a week, I was still doing BodyPump and yoga once a week. I’ve never been *bad* about cross training, but I’ll be glad when it’s a few times a week and not all the time!

8. Wow, that is dedication getting up that early. You are right, I only get up that early when I am going to a race, or catching a flight to Disney. Good luck getting back to your running!

Thanks. I never thought I’d be doing this, but well… I never really thought I’d have to! Just trying to make the best out of the situation, I guess.

9. d20girl says:

It does feel awesome to have your workout done by the time most people are just waking up, I love exercising in the morning! Thanks for linking up with us today and best wishes on your comeback to running!

10. Your training is seriously inspiring. Good luck on your running comeback!

11. allieksmith says:

A fall comeback will be awesome–just think of how lovely the weather will be! Maybe?! Either way, I am glad to hear that you are on the mend and will be running soon. I think it’s great that you’re taking care of yourself and cross training in the meantime!

Thanks girly! Yeah I went on my first post-injury “run”. 10 minutes of total running. Not a bad pace, but I think my endurance is shot! At least I have awhile to build it up 🙂

12. LilMysNinja says:

I have yet to use a coach. I know that eventually I’d like to work with one once. I’ve used Hal HIgdon’s online training calendars to train for both of my half marathons and I’m using it right now! 🙂
    I love that you wrote across the top Tiny Terror Comeback plan! I can’t wait to read about your progress.

13. Elizabeth says:

I’ve done the Pfitzinger return to running after stress fracture plan, and it really is great. It safely got me back out there and had enough interest for me to look forward to the runs. Hang in there!

Thanks! It’s going well so far- I have run twice. I run again tomorrow. I’m pretty excited about upping the number of minutes and the walk/run combination is also good for the hot temperatures we have here.