Life Lately: The Injured Runner Support System

I finally finished the cruise/vacation posts and you won’t see any race recaps for awhile, but I’ve been busy lately.

A few weeks ago, I volunteered at the Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K series, hosted by OnShore Racing. I never intended to run these races, because I was already signed up for the Race the Landing 5K series, figured that was enough for the summer, and prefer Saturday morning races. The Happy Hour 5K series a great and very affordable race series, as registration is only $15 and Daniel Island has some beautiful trails.

I worked the registration table and plan to volunteer for the entire series. It feels like I’m becoming an expert at registering people for races, and it surprises me how many people wait until the last possible minute to pick up their bib or register- we’re talking 5 minutes (or less) before the race start time- then get to the start right before the gun goes off. Yikes.

My church, Circular Congregational Church, hosted a Blessing of the Bikes in Marion Square. All local cyclists were invited to ride their bikes (or bring their bikes or just bring themselves) for a few spiritual words and some safety gear provided by Charleston Moves. The pastor, who’s also a cyclist and rides his bike to the church during the week, spoke about how riding a bike can be a spiritual experience and how everyone who chooses not to travel by car is helping the environment. It was pretty neat.

Clay ran the 3rd Race the Landing 5K last week. I was signed up to run, but due to my stress reaction, showed up to volunteer instead and handed out water at the finish line. I’m becoming a race volunteer extraordinaire lately. I even got to hand a bottle of water to Michael Banks, who won the race with a 14:41 5K, breaking his own course record. That’s as close as I’ll ever be to an overall male winner or a 14:41 5K.

I also got to cheer for a bunch of my friends and torture them with a cowbell. As for Clay, he ended up PRing the 5K. Leave it up to my husband to improve his time and PR in a 5K on a hot night in June- he’s been running consistently, and I can’t wait to see what he could do on a cool, Fall morning.

We’ve also been going to the Sunday Brunch Farmer’s Market on James Island, where we buy local produce, cheese, meats, and tasty lunches from food trucks. It’s a low-key Farmer’s Market, unlike the one downtown, and has a ton of parking- also unlike the one downtown. Different vendors show up each week, and it makes for a fun Sunday afternoon.

This summer hasn’t been what I’ve expected or planned for, but I’m staying positive and trying to ‘dig it’. Here’s to hoping the physical and mental rest, extra calcium, and cross training provide a bountiful harvest when I start running and racing again.

This entry was posted in Daniel Island, James Island, OnShore Racing, Race the Landing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Life Lately: The Injured Runner Support System

1. Pam says:

You certainly are staying busy and keeping a very positive attitude despite your injury. I love volunteering at local races since I can’t run them all. Charleston looks like a great place to be in the summer with loads to do. Keep smiling, soon you will be back out there running!

I have also enjoyed volunteering and will try to do more of it when I’m back to running as well. My initial plan was to volunteer for the Happy Hour series since I didn’t want to run that many races this summer.

I’ve volunteered before, and there’s a different feel of volunteering when you just don’t want to run, can’t afford to run, don’t like the distance, etc… and volunteering bc you *can’t* run due to injury. It’s been nice to give back to the running community.

2. Glad you are staying busy to fill that running void…. hope you back soon. Loved reading the cruise posts… can’t wait for our next cruise in March 2015.

I will be back in July :). So not too much longer really. I started elliptical this week to get my body used to the movements involved in running again… sorta. It’s not the same but it’s all been pain free so I’m grateful.

I can’t wait to read about your next cruise, haha. Cruises rock… we want to try Disney one day, but it’s pretty pricey… I do like that it leaves from Port Canaveral, though.

3. It’s alweays good to stay busy. Personally I take the time completely away from the racing scene but everyone is different. It amazes me too how many people wait until the last minute. The masters 8k nationals is held in my area and there will be people that role up 10 minutes prior. (Anyone can register but it’s the national masters open). I need at least 30 minutes to stay calm. If I’m warming up I take a solid hour.

Yeah, I told Virginia I’d volunteer at the Happy Hour series before I got hurt, so I wanted to honor my commitments :). However, I am passing up volunteering on races that I wasn’t already going to volunteer for or run. I thought about helping at another one last Saturday but honestly… it was nice to just sleep in on a Saturday for once! Plus it’s kinda hard when everyone else is running and you can’t- even running a crummy race beats being on the sidelines though.

I’m surprised about those Masters runners getting their so late for a championship! I rolled up right at the start of a race once, it was a few years ago and due to car trouble. I guess something like that is different, but I was freaking out.

4. spectacuLAUR says:

Congratulations to Clay on his PR! I think it’s awesome he’s getting into running with you :o) And I love your attitude towards your injury and the fact you’re volunteering and things on your time off instead of moping around! (me lol)

Yeah, I’m here at the house all day for work, and running was always my way of getting out of the house and socializing, so I still get the socialization by volunteering. Plus, with Clay running the Race the Landing, I didn’t want to just send him to it and not go along and support- especially when he’s been doing a great job of running lately.

5. Amy says:

Way to continue to get out there and volunteer, even if you can’t run! I am impressed! And congrats to Clay! Does he want to do a 10K or is he sticking to 5Ks for the season?

He did an 8K in February and might want to do a 10K, but 10Ks are pretty rare around here- especially in the summer. So if he does want to do one, that gives him plenty of time to train.

6. Oh my gosh I cannot believe that many people wait unto 5 minutes before the race to register or pick up their bibs, that would STRESS me out!
    It was great to see you cheering at the race and helping out.

It stressed ME out and I was the volunteer. I’m not one to stand at the start line 10-15 minutes before the race starts (I’ve noticed many people do that too), but I at least want to have my stuff and be walking over, maybe stretching a little, etc.

When it happened at Race for Taylor, the lady practically had to run to the start. I think they would wait if they saw someone coming, though. At the Happy Hour 5K, we stopped packet pick up like 10 minutes before the race started bc the pick up was about a block away from the start and everyone had headed over or was on their way. Someone came up to pick theirs up while we were packing up the tent, and we had to tell them to just go to the start where the bibs were. They made it, but that’s just too close for my personal comfort.

7. harveylisam says:

It’s nice that you volunteered; I think I need to do that more often. I hope you’re feeling a bit better, injury wise!

Thanks- yeah, no pain at all for the last few days. The only time I’ve had any pain in the past week or so was right during a thunderstorm. I’ve always read about people’s bones and joints hurting when bad weather was coming, but it was so weird to experience it myself!

8. that is great that you volunteered! I bet everyone was glad to see your smiling face at the finish!

9. Happy Fit Mama says:

WHat a great way to stay busy while injured! I tend to get so frustrated when injured that seeing everyone run while I was on the sidelines would make me mad!

10. so sorry to hear about your injury but you are really making the best of it. i love that your church did that — sounds kind of similar to how that church in boston blesses runners before the marathon. awesome!

11. Elizabeth says:

It’s great to see that you are staying involved even though you aren’t racing. Sounds like you have a wonderful community there.

Thanks! Yeah, we definitely have a great running community here. It rocks to be a runner in Charleston, I was so glad to get plugged in when I move here and meet people and make friends.