Injury update: Stress reaction and my reaction

I went to the orthopedist on Monday, and I happily walked out in the same shoes I wore walking in- no boot, no cast, and no stress fracture!

After all the exams, and tests, the verdict is that I have a stress reaction in my cuboid bone (calcaneal cuboid joint). A stress reaction is the beginning of a stress fracture and would have turned into one if I kept running or tried to run too soon. Catching it early makes me thankful I listen to my body, take rest days, and didn’t try to push it by running.

With running, I’m out for the month of June- a big fat goose egg *zero* running miles in my training log. However, I’m thinking positively and focusing on what I *can* do. I can spin, BodyPump (body weight on the lower body tracks), do yoga/BodyFlow, row, and swim. My doctor also said to take Aleve each day and that I could try the elliptical next week.

injured_runner_prob

So, how’d this happen? I can’t tell you- but I’ve enjoyed listening to others’ “theories”, especially when they’re not doctors, coaches, or have any clue about my training. When healthy, I ran 35-40 miles per week, my weekly volume for almost a year now with no sudden or drastic changes, documenting everything in my training log.

I strength train, practice yoga, and take a complete rest day every Friday. I get fitted for shoes and know the exact mileage on each pair of shoes in the running rotation (I’m an ambassador for a local running club and store, so no excuses on the shoes). Since my mom has osteoporosis and I had anemia, I religiously supplement my calcium and iron.

I did everything right. Sometimes, shit happens. That’s the explanation.

I have to miss 2 Race the Landing 5k series races as well as the entire speedwork program I signed up for- leave it to me to get hurt on the same day the speedwork program started. After talking to my doctor about my current PRs and goals, he said I should be running at 100% by the end of the summer, which is what I want anyway (no one’s setting PRs in the Charleston heat).

10251927_700486273563_4937807649435352821_n

As far as *my* reaction… I’d much rather take some extra weeks off than risk a full-blown stress fracture- especially since the cuboid bone is a tough one and usually requires a cast, boot, PT, and months off.

Despite losing some entry fees, I’m also grateful I didn’t get injured just before a marathon or a racing season. Considering Eli Manning had the same diagnosis in 2009, I think I’m in good company and posed for a comeback.

Clay and I recently joined Pivotal Fitness Charleston, and they have group fitness every morning at 6 AM. I’ve been attending classes, meeting people, and finishing my workout before 7:15. The 5 AM wakeup calls are getting easier, too!

994347_664267825623_581863572_n

Since I was already downtown, Virginia, Stella, and I went to Kaminsky’s on Market for “Not Your Average Milkshakes” after my appointment. The night before, I told Virginia that it would be a celebration of recovery milkshake or a drown my sorrows milkshake- and I consider it a celebration one.

Five more weeks out isn’t too bad, and with a timeframe, I can plan my Fall and my comeback race.

Watch out Charleston. Here comes the Tiny (cross training) Terror!

This entry was posted in Injury and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Injury update: Stress reaction and my reaction

1. Glad you caught it early! I love your positive outlook on your injury! You’ll be back and running before you know it! And I’m willing to bet you’ll come back stronger!

I may not be a stronger runner when I come back, but I’ve been lifting 3-4 times a week… so my muscles will be stronger. BodyPump does a body good! But I wish I could do weighted squats, I kinda miss that. I’m using leg machines and I hate leg machines- not made for short people.

2. Man it has to be tough being injured! I am glad you are recovering nicely. The pavement misses you! But get recovered so it doesn’t come back again!

I miss the pavement.

You know being injured hasn’t been as tough as I thought it would. Don’t get me wrong, it hasn’t been easy. I’ve definitely had my moments of depression. I’m sure Clay is ready for me to be running again so he doesn’t have to deal with me. Being able to go to the gym and take classes really helps because I just do that when I’d ordinarily be running.

• That is true, when I first started running in 2010, I had a bad bad ITBS issue. I pretty much stopped running for a month. But I went to the gym and swam and did in water running. It gave me something low impact to do and to stay sane!

3. Erin says:

SO glad to hear it’s not a stress fracture!! Believe me, lugging a boot around sucks. I now feel like injuries that require taking a few weeks off running are actually blessings in disguise because they force you to explore/focus on other aspects of fitness. I never would have tried swimming if I hadn’t had a stress fracture 🙂 Sometimes it’s hard to -let- yourself take time off running to try other things, and now it’s a must… hope everything heals up soon for you 🙂

You are exactly right on trying new things. Now that I absolutely cannot run, I’m trying new-to-me classes, weight machines, cardio machines, etc. My running isn’t #1 right now… or even #2 or #3, but I think working out in other ways will help me be a better athlete in general… hopefully this translates to better running somewhere down the line in the Fall!

4. So glad to hear it’s not serious and you’ll be back to your normal running self in no time. What brand of shoes do you wear?

I run exclusively in Mizuno, but I will get re-fitted when I am able to run again and may switch brands if I find another shoe that feels better and may lead to healthier running post-injury.

Mizuno is a good brand of running shoes- my first “real” running shoes were Mizuno, so I’ve stuck with them. However, I think runners should find what’s right for their needs by getting fitted. I need a little stability in my shoes, but all the big brands (Mizuno, Brooks, Asics, Pearl Izumi, Newton, etc) make stability shoes.

So really, it’s more about which shoes are right for your feet (stability, neutral, cushioning) more than just brand name of the shoe :).

5. Amy says:

Boo that you are injured, but yay that you are so smart and looking at it with a positive attitude! I like that you planned a milkshake ahead of time. If I lived in the South, I would certainly look for an excuse not to run in June! It was 92 here yesterday and killer.

Fortunately I can still get some heat training in if all goes well. July, August, and the beginning of September are all really hot here.

Running and racing in the heat is a love/hate relationship. It’s not fun at the time, but I wanted to train hard this summer and build my base for faster running and PRs this Fall. I’m glad I still get a few months of summer running in.

It hasn’t been all that bad here. Yet. Our hottest usually hits in July and early August.

6. 262x2 says:

Aww man! I was really hoping that me, you, and BackatSquareZero could set up an early morning running date when I’m in Charleston! Boo to being broken, but at least you’ll be back up and running (har, har) before the end of summer!

7. Yes, think positively on what you can do. I have had to take multiple months off before and if you focus on the not running you will go crazy, instead focus on what you can do (woohoo spin).
    I’ll see you tomorrow.

8. Ah, running injuries are so unpleasant… but also inevitable from my experience. Catching it early might mean you will be back on track quickly! Good luck. 🙂

Agreed, I am very glad it was caught early.

You are right, sometimes injuries just happen. It’s almost like driving a car. No one wants to get into a car accident, but just being on the road, things happen. Even the person who “caused” the accident, wasn’t doing it intentionally. I think of an injury the same way, no one wants it to happen but with years of running, it just kinda does sometimes.

9. harveylisam says:

You’re right, sometimes, shit happens. Sorry that is happened to you. 😦 I’m glad it’s not a stress fracture, though, and there’ll be other runs! Happy healing ❤

Thanks girl. Tons of races coming up in the Fall. I think late May is probably the best time to get injured… if there’s ever a good time. I won’t have to miss too much action.

10. I’m so sorry about the injury and you have a good perspective – there’s nothing you could have done, you’re doing everything right! Heal quickly!

Thanks! Hopefully the healing goes well. The foot hasn’t bothered me in several days, but I know this is the danger zone of injuries when people try to come back too soon, so I’m staying off of it anyway.

11. Pam says:

Catching up on my blog reading since I have been traveling this week. I guess injuries happen no matter how careful we can be as runners. You have really done the right thing and thank goodness you did not run through the pain. While my daughter was a competitive swimmer in HS, so many of the swimmers got injured due to overuse, and frankly, they were made to feel like wimps if they missed practice. It was not a good thing. Good luck with your new gym/classes and keep up that positive attitude.

I am making friends with all the active senior citizens who visit the gym at 6 AM, haha.

I hate that about your daughter and the team being pressured to swim even if they were injured. Obviously, no runner (or any sport, I guess, but this is the only sport I’ve ever done) is going to take off for every little ache or pain… we’d never run or improve that way. But when you have that little voice inside that says be careful, sometimes you need to listen to that voice more than a coach or a training plan. It has to be hard for younger people, especially someone on a team, because they can’t really stand up for themselves and say no, take off, etc, and they can feel pressured and feel like they’re a wimp.

12. allieksmith says:

You’re right… stuff just happens sometimes for no good reason. I am so sorry that you have a stress reaction. I know it’s tough to be out of doing something that you love and obviously excel at. I’m happy that you have the right attitude towards running–you didn’t push it and get a full on stress fracture and you know that running will always be there when you get back!

Yeah, it’s kinda tough but hasn’t been as bad as i thought. Now, my foot no longer hurts… and it’s harder. that’s like the danger zone for athletes- when the pain is gone, but you’re still not recovered. I’m just cross training like a beast right now!

13. Amy!!!
    I’m back in the blogging world. And I am glad to see that you have been recovering. I’ve been reading about your foot injury lately, but I’m not really sure what happened. Can you fill me in? Did you twist it? Fall? Trip? Were you in a full foot cast, then?
    Glad you’re finding other ways to train and give your body a little rest at the same time. Congrats on making it down to five weeks before you recover fully. I can’t wait to hear more about your “comeback”race as we approach that time. Grrr. Well, fill me in! What else has been going on??Be blessed! 😀

14. tiarunnermom says:

Well first off, I’m glad you were able to get a diagnosis which hopefully gives you a little peace of mind. The not knowing phase can be rough. Second, catching it before it became a full fledged stress fracture is very good! Less time off means you will be back sooner! I spent my stress fracture comeback phase one summer planning fall/ winter races and I did come back stronger and faster. You will too!

Thanks Tia. I’m really grateful for your encouragement, and that from others who’ve had great comebacks. I’m basically a cross training machine right now, so I hope this makes me a better all-around athlete for Fall races.

15. I am so sorry to hear you have an injury, but luckily yu caught it early so you can recover 🙂 I hope it is a fast recovery, and I can’t wait to hear what you have in store instead of running.

16. reallllly glad to hear it’s not a stress fracture. all injuries suck, but I swear every one has made me a smarter runner and never take it for granted!!! hope you can enjoy some cross training to come back strong!

Thanks! Yeah, I have been a cross training beast lately. I’m at the gym every day doing spin, bodypump, yoga, or something! Hopefully not losing too much fitness.