Race the Landing #2 (23:59)

Not every run will be a good one.

When you race as much as I do, inevitably some bad runs will occur on race days.

After the May Day half marathon, I took 2 full days off all exercise and went a bit easier on Sunday and Monday.

The Tuesday before the race, I met Kindal at the track for speedwork- our tradition. I woke up feeling a bit under the weather, but I didn’t want to let Kindal down and I *never* go back to sleep once I’m up, so I hit the track for some 800s and 200s. Maybe running would make me feel better?

I felt pretty shoddy Tuesday night and instead of loading weights on the bar at BodyPump, I loaded up on cold medicine, Nasonex, and sleep.

10351156_700207457313_1807762341513128907_n

Thursday was race day, and once again, I didn’t feel so hot. The headaches and pressure got to me, and I took a nap after work (hooray for working from home- no commute means time to nap).

Clay and I signed up for the entire Race the Landing series, and since running and racing is my social time, I was going to do whatever I could to be there. I even ate a pre-race pop tart and drank some coffee at around 4 PM hoping to perk up (or rather, stay awake).

We arrived at Charles Towne Landing at around 6:15, checked in, and warmed up. I saw more ladies warming up this time. I guess other ladies saw the previous week’s race results and small field- or maybe they were just excited about fish and waffle fries as the post-race meal?

It was definitely the former, as times were much faster this week. The first mile wasn’t horrible. It’s downhill and mostly shade, until you hit the sun at the turnaround point by the gates. Yikes. I headed back and started feeling the heat and my head and quickly realized that this race wasn’t going to end well, and with two miles to go, it wouldn’t end anytime soon.

I slugged through the second mile, but mile 3 was the worst. The course had lots of curves and turns, and my headache progressed to dizziness- a combination of heat and side effects from medicine. I also ran slightly off the course and into the grass (oops). Coming out of the woods, I saw the parking lot of Charles Towne Landing. Too bad you circle the parking lot and it’s another .25 to the finish.

Even though this was my fourth time running this course, circling the parking lot before the finish felt like an evil trick.

10296757_234552333419589_7474462045654964959_n

I thought the race would never end, and I squeeked in with my worst 5K time in 2014- 23:59. The Thursday before, I ran a half marathon prior to the 5K and still finished 50 seconds faster- guess that’s how being sick affects running.

I got water and headed back on the course to cool down and to find Clay and some other runners to cheer them on to the finish. Clay was struggling, but his finish time was only off his last 5K time by 20 seconds.

10246313_234553796752776_2755593194034578431_n

After the race, we headed inside Founder’s Hall for food and entertainment from the band Second Honeymoon, along with the awards ceremony.

Race the Landing does the award ceremonies a bit different and starts with the overall awards, then announces older age groups, like the 70+ crowd. I was ready to head home but didn’t want to leave without the award and I wanted to see my friends get their awards too- Virginia even hit a post-baby PR.

DSCN7385DSCN7386DSCN7387

Despite my personal worst 5K of the year, I won my age group and was one of the last runners called for awards- the volunteers were actually folding up the tables. Clay and I headed home to watch NFL Draft coverage (hooray for Clowney being the #1 pick), then showered and passed out in bed.

Not every run is pretty. PRs are always hard earned; sometimes just finishing is hard earned. Running is like life, and you have to take the disappointing runs with the good ones. After a few nightmare runs, you learn how to overcome them.

I’ve always heard not to fear failing, because failure is how we learn. Regardless of finish times, paces, awards, and personal records, every run or race is a learning opportunity. Despite my time, I had fun hanging out with everyone and finished injury free, ready to start training again and redeem myself. That’s the beauty of running and second chances.

It’s done, and I’m onto the next one.

Thanks to Chandler Meadows of CBM Photography for the finish line pictures of Clay and I. Be sure to check out her Facebook page.

This entry was posted in 5Ks, Race Recaps, Race the Landing, West Ashley and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Race the Landing #2 (23:59)

1. You ran well despite being sick. I sympathize because I know it’s a tad frustrating to run a time that you know you can do better if you were healthy, but it’s the best you can do that day. Good recap.

Yep, May has been a tough month (I’ve since hurt my foot, and those blog posts are coming, just that I had a lot of travelling, work, and other races to recap before I could).

In the end though, it’s only a race and there will always be more, and all the Race the Landing runs are mainly for fun anyway (hey, it’s summer in SC, none of us are trying to PR).

2. Christine says:

Oh, the fish and waffles. I totally would have come for those. Hopefully they’ll have them next year when I’m back and running. And you still ended with a good time despite being sick. Like you said, racing often means more bad runs happen on race day. But it’s a good time to run and race, nonetheless.

Racing often makes it easier to me to deal with a bad run. If I were one of the runners who only races 2-3 times a year and had a bad one, I would definitely be more upset. I know a lot of runners like that, but I also know runners who race almost every week.

I do plan to cut my racing back a bit. I ended up with 4 in May and that really was too much. I’m only running 2 in both June and July.

The running scene misses you too, but they will have Race the Landing next year and it’ll be even more awesome (it actually improves from year to year). I hope you’re doing well and liked reading your update the other day.

3. ahellams says:

Be easy on yourself after being sick (coming from the recently sick girl). Plus I feel like that is a tough series. With it being at night and in the heat of the summer it is pretty difficult. I remember the second to last one in late June or early July it was 100 at the start and everyone pretty much just treated it as a group run. Hope your next one goes a little easier…I’ll have my fingers crossed for cooler weather for you!

I remember that race. I wasn’t there, but my neighbor signed up for it. It was her 2nd 5K and she was super scared of the heat and walked a bit (she still placed in her age group though).

With the foot issue, I might just treat the next one like a group run. I actually like Race the Landing because it’s a 5 race series on the same course so you can use them as practice races and try things, or do it as a tempo run, etc. With the heat no one wants to PR so that opens up a lot of options that can help us reach the PRs in the Fall when it’s cooler.

4. Amy says:

You have been on an epic vacation and sick lately and you still managed to win your AG! Look at you rockstar! Plus, the race was in the woods on curvy trails. You did great. The post-race party sounds awesome, too. I wish I could handle humidity and heat much better than I can. I hate having to run in it!

Thanks, although age group wins (and sometimes overall wins) in a smaller race are really just about who shows up and who doesn’t more than being fast. Good thing because this definitely wasn’t fast.

I actually like this course, this was my 4th time running it. It’s not the easiest course in Charleston (no race in Charleston has a hard course except the James Island Connector or Cooper River Bridge since those are our only inclines). Charles Towne Landing *is* one of the most beautiful courses, though.

The next post-race party has craft beer. Should be pretty fun!

5. Wow! Even though you say that is your worst 5k time, you are still super speedy. Congrats on your age group award!

Thank you :). It’s obviously not my worst time “ever”, since I’ve been running 5Ks for about 4 years now, but it was my worst time and worst feeling race in awhile.

6. harveylisam says:

You’re right – not every race is going to be a good one! But you got through it. 🙂 Hope you feel better soon!

7. So sorry you had a bad race. Maybe we both got our bad Race the Landing runs out of teh way and we can be fabulous from now on.

Thanks, yeah maybe that’s how it is! It wasn’t even so much about the time (although this is my worst 5K time in a long time), just that I felt SO bad at the end. You know it’s bad when you can’t wait to leave Race the Landing because that’s a fun after party.

8. LilMysNinja says:

Congrats on placing, but I hate that you were feeling bad. I know how it is though. I hate missing a race, especially one that I’m registered for. Oh, and the waffles and fish look delish!!! I want some!

Thanks, yeah I hate missing races too, and I have to miss 2 this month. Had to miss one in May. But, in the end it’s better to do what’s best for your health.

I don’t know about this one. I said at the time I should’ve skipped it, but now thinking back, i just don’t know. As sick as I was… I was ABLE to run.