2014 Freedom of the Seas Cruise Recap Part #2

Welcome back- you can read part 1 here.

Our second day on the Freedom of the Seas was spent on the private island of CocoCay, which is in the Bahamas. I woke up early and took a picture of the sunrise.

CocoCay was a glorified beach day for us. Royal Caribbean owns the island, so they move their ship’s crew off to serve drinks and food as well as operate the excursions (such as kayaking, jet skis, water park, etc).

Picture 118

The beaches are extremely beautiful and the water is gorgeous, but you have to take a small boat called a tender to get there, and the tender was quite rocky (some of the riders got splashed). Sometimes the ship misses this island, and we were a little late getting there, but we made it. The tender boat is also a great place to take a picture of the ship.

Picture 110

Our favorite thing to do at CocoCay is to spend time in the hammocks reading, and that’s pretty much what we did. I took a few books on the cruise and just enjoyed relaxing in the sun- even though I got a little too much sun.

After we got back on the ship from our beach day, I found one of the DreamWorks characters for a picture. Each night, the cabin steward leaves a towel animal and a Cruise Compass newsletter in the cabin, which lets you know which events are taking place and where the characters will be. All the characters are fun and they have a worker to take your picture with them if you want it, and none of the lines were too long.

Since it was formal night, Clay and I dressed up for dinner (most people dressed up). One older man on the ship said  the tenders to CocoCay take people to the island pale and bring them back red… and he was right in my case. I definitely wasn’t the only pink person at dinner though- the island sun is quite powerful.

For dinner, I had a ravioli dish with shrimp in it. I liked all the seafood dishes in the dining room a lot, and I’m thankful I eat seafood because most of the vegetarian options were soy based or “fake” meats. I’m pretty sure Clay had lamb, which was another dish the dining room served often. I don’t remember my dessert… probably ice cream. I ate ice cream every day on the cruise.

After dinner, we went to an adult comedy show (these were always really fun and hilarious), then came back to the cabin, where I took some Advil and slept to recover from being out in the sun.

This entry was posted in Cruising, Freedom of the Seas, Royal Caribbean, Traveling and Trips and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to 2014 Freedom of the Seas Cruise Recap Part #2

1. Your cruise posts always make me want to save up to go on one.

2. Liz says:

I would love a beach day to sit and read! How perfect! I love that dress you have on too! I always feel like my dresses are either too fancy for an occasion or not fancy enough! I never have one that I feel like fits it perfectly! And that dress seems to go well! Was it a really long time to get on and off the tenders? The only cruise I went on had SUCH a long line to get back on the boat after our day at shore. It was insane. I’ve only taken the little boats from smaller ferries when I’ve been outside of the US.

The line was kinda long to get back to the boat, because it looked like it was going to rain/storm. As far as the boat from the ship to the island… we waited awhile to get off, so the crowd was already on the island.

The dress has little thin straps on it, but I was cold so I kept the little sweater on. It would be too short for lots of girls but perfect for me. I got it at Ross, definitely a great place to go for inexpensive dresses!

3. That dinner looked yummy! 🙂 I would love to see characters! I probably would stalk them all day for photos haha!
    You guys looked nice dressed up— but you’re right 😉 you did get some sun!

The characters do 30ish minute stints at high-traffic, central areas of the ship. I guess any longer, they can’t stay in the costume. But it’s easy to find them and take a pic, right there in the newsletter (and also easy to avoid them for people who don’t like them, they are not all over the ship and overwhelming). I think the characters may be in the kids areas more often.

Yup, I still have a nice tan going on!

4. I went to Cococay on the last cruise I went on and loved it. It’s so nice to just relax there. Reading your posts makes me really want to go on a cruise again now. I know we will for our honeymoon.

5. Amy says:

Wow-laying on a hammock and reading a book in the sun sounds perfect to me right now! Use sunscreen! And I also love your dress 🙂

6. Pam says:

Visiting private islands from a cruise ship always makes for a fun day. The beach looks beautiful but too bad about the sun burn. As you mentioned, the island sun is powerful. It is clear you had a fantastic cruise, loads of smiles in your photos!

7. thatawkwardrunner says:

I LOVE your dress from formal dinner!!!!!! So cute.

Thanks! I got it at Ross, they have lots of cute dresses for really great prices there. I found 2 dresses there which is crazy good luck for me with dresses.

8. harveylisam says:

So nice and relaxing. 🙂 I wish I could get some sun!

9. Judy Duffy jebl on cruise critic says:

It was nice to meet you at the Meet N Mingle. Looks like you had a good cruise too.

10. Man I love Cruisin’! Can’t wait until our next one on the Disney Dream in March 2015!

Awesome- yeah I always think of you when I see the Disney ships. Those are some beautiful ships. We might do one of those someday, but we like Royal Caribbean right now. The price is right too.