Good Friday = Good Running Day, Sip and Paint

Hi everyone! I had the day off work today for Good Friday, so I wanted to stop in with an update. Knowing the circumstances behind the day, I’ve never understood why it’s called “Good” Friday, but I was super thankful to have the day off work.

You know you’re a runner when you have a day off, but instead of sleeping in, you get up even earlier than usual for a long run.

mayday_shirt

I’m signed up for the May Day Half Marathon on May 1 (you can read my recap of last year’s event here). It’s a guerilla group run of 13.1 or 26.2 miles around Charleston that my friends organize, and while it’s not a sanctioned “race”, you get a finisher’s medal and there’s a fun after party at Folly Park. They have a timer this year, so you can know where you stand among the finishers. The half marathon starts downtown, 2 hours after the full, so you’re on the course together and the races (roughly) finish together. And yes, we take vacation days from work for it!

MayDayHalf5

Along with May Day, I am also signed up for the Race the Landing on May 1. The May Day half begins at 9 AM and Race the Landing is at 6:30 PM. That’s 16.2 miles of running, in two races, on the same day. Fortunately, the start times are pretty far apart, and I get the longer distance out of the way first.

With a day off, I decided to run the distances to prepare. It feels like a Disney World race challenge, and is as close to a Disney Challenge as this house poor girly will get.

I started my 13.1 mile long run at about 6:30 in Mt. Pleasant and ran over the bridge and through Downtown Charleston, then back to Mt. Pleasant. I finished the 13.1 mile training run in just under 1:47 (8:08 average pace), although I stopped completely a few times for water and traffic/crossing the street.

10247292_696017124773_4254796926809980510_n

I also stopped to… observe. A ladder fell off the back of a pickup onto the Cooper River Bridge during my run back to Mt. Pleasant. Three cars ran over the ladder. Fortunately a police car was close by; he came over and picked up the ladder and put it in the back of us his car. If the first car had been any closer to the pickup, the ladder would’ve gone through the windshield. A tour bus from a college was also stuck in a ditch at Patriot’s Point.

I always see wrecks when I run the bridge. Sometimes I think I’m safer in the pedestrian lane.

I came home and refueled, worked on some house projects, ran some errands, and rested before my second training run, the 5K. I just ran the 5K on my usual neighborhood route and finished in 24:47. Not too shabby after running 13.1 this morning. I’m confident for May 1, but if I’m not feeling the 5K, I may run with a friend to motivate them or just take it easy. It’s nice to have that option, especially at Race the Landing, which is a pretty easygoing, fun series.

Aside from running, I did another fun activity this week- a Sip and Paint class at Parson Jack’s Café. Parson Jack’s Café is one of my favorite restaurants in West Ashley. I took Maria there a few weeks ago when she visited, and I also hosted a Pre Bridge Run dinner there for my run club last year.

Every Tuesday, Parson Jack’s partners with Bottles N Brushes to host a sip and paint class with drink and appetizer specials for the participants, and you leave with a finished painting. The theme was Starry Night Over Charleston, and we had a good group of first-timers and others who’ve painted before. I’ve done a few of these classes and always enjoy them, and you can usually find great deals on Groupon or Living Social.

10268583_10151953196710059_1022847088441534301_n

The girls from Bottles N Brushes were excellent- the main instructor had 2 assistants to help, and everyone was nice. The instructor asked me what I did for a living; she said she could tell I was extremely detailed, and she wasn’t surprised when I told her I work as a technical writer. I highly recommend the Bottles N Brushes classes- this was my first class with them, but it won’t be my last. And of course, I love Parson Jack’s.

Here is my completed painting. I think if I did it again, I would find some way to incorporate either the Ashley or Cooper River Bridge (it wasn’t on the demo painting or on the one the instructor did). Other than that, I really like it- it even looks like stained glass. I can’t wait to hang it up soon.

This entry was posted in OnShore Racing, Race the Landing, West Ashley and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Good Friday = Good Running Day, Sip and Paint

1. harveylisam says:

What a beautiful painting! I really want to learn how to draw/paint. One day.

Also, I made good use of my day off yesterday as well – no better day for a long run than a day off work 🙂

The classes are fun, and you don’t need experience… they walk you through it. They are popping up all over the country, not just here. Glad you got your long run in too!

2. Wow, that’s some hard core training! Good luck with the racing May 1. I love guerilla races!

3. wow I am so impressed you are doing two races in one day! know after a 1/2 I just sleep for days haha. Andyour picture is so pretty! I have always wanted to try one of those classes, they look fun, and then you have art YOU made for your house 🙂

Thanks girly! The classes are fun, I bet you would really like it. It’s very relaxing too.

I try not to “plan” too much, and just see how both of them go. No matter what, 2 races in a day is a first for me, and I try not to have a big goal with a “first” except to finish injury free (#1 goal of ANY race).

However, in the back of my head… I want to run the 13.1 as a training run (training for a 10k in May), then maybe tempo the 5K if I’m feeling good that evening. Mainly gonna see how I feel after the half.

4. I would love to do the May Day half one year, but just am not able to run that far yet. However, I will see you at race the landing.

5. allieksmith says:

Wow, that ladder story is kind of scary! I always get really freaked out about things like that when I drive on big highways around Pittsburgh (which I actually have to do today haha…)!! I’m glad no one was seriously hurt or anything crazy!

I like the picture you painted! Good luck at the May Day half! I can’t believe it’s almost May 🙂

Thanks Allie! I am confident after my practice run and a few good workouts last week (on a treadmill, the joys of a cruise ship workout!). That ladder still freaks me out just thinking about it in the road.

6. Pam says:

Wow Amy, you are really good at painting! I went to one of those classes just once, and the results were so childish it looks like an 8 year old painted the beach umbrella! We had a fun time though, and it is on display in my garage so I see it every day! Congrats on your great training run and then speedy 5k. It sounds like you are ready for some great race results!

Thanks! Yeah, both were good training runs, but man did that 5K hurt. 5Ks always do though, but I know it will be different on Thursday after a half. Oh well, at least I get teh longer race out of the way first.

Glad you like my painting! I bet yours was fine- we are all our worst critics with things like this!

7. Elizabeth says:

You’re so lucky that you got Good Friday off! Sounds like you spent it well. Holy Cow- that is a fast training run at that distance. Hell yeah you are ready!

I work for a software company whose clients are primarily churches and nonprofits, so I guess it would be a little weird if we worked on Good Friday (it would probably also be a very slow day for calls). But yeah, I did take advantage of it! Too bad my actual half time wasn’t as good as my training run, but my 5K time was better.