House Poor Summer Tour: Super Double Coupon Savings

Along with my usual running, writing, travelling, and food shenanigans, I’ve gotten back into couponing lately. I’ve been couponing for years now, and while I consider it a hobby, it’s also helped us save for vacations, races, and a home down payment. As homeowners, it’s not exactly a hobby I can give up.

Last week was Super Double Coupon Week at Harris Teeter, which is a grocery store chain with many locations in the Charleston area. During Super Double Coupon Week, which is held 6-8 times a year, Harris Teeter doubles coupons with a value of $2 or below. This means a $2 coupon takes off $4, or a $1 coupon takes off $2.

642

I’ve blogged about couponing before, so here are the posts if you’re interested:

As a member of a few local couponing groups on Facebook, I was super excited about Super Double coupons. I even love watching Extreme Couponers when I’m running intervals on the treadmill. The trashier the show, the better for running on the treadmill- although Extreme Couponers would definitely break most store policies here.

Because it felt like summer in South Carolina last week, here’s our latest adventure in the House Poor Summer Tour. I made 4 trips to Harris Teeter and took pictures of each trip. Here are the stats.

Wednesday’s Trip: Spent $14.10, saved $75.48

Thursday’s Trip: Spent $14.11, saved $37.81

Sunday’s Trip: Spent $3.70, saved $18.63

Tuesday’s Trip: Spent $7.39, saved $30.19.

I also received a “$3 off your next order” coupon for buying 3 Nivea products.

Total Stats: Spent $39.30, saved $162.11.

As you can see, we’re pretty stocked on junky cereal for awhile- although Clay and I can polish off a box pretty quickly since he eats a giant bowl on the weekends! He’s even stocked up on shaving cream, which is something we buy lots of since he shaves his head. Both of us love the Fage Greek yogurt, and I only drink almond milk now, so it’s great to find deals on those two items.

The best way to learn how to coupon is to follow a good couponing/budgeting blog. You can use The Frugal Map to find couponing blogs in your state or area. Here are a few of my favorites:

Needless to say, I’m all shopped out for awhile! We probably won’t buy much other than essentials until after our vacation in April. I still have the $3 off my next order coupon, which I will most likely use this week on produce- I’m really digging the Halos oranges lately.

In the spirit of “staycationing” in our new home, House Poor Summer Tour posts are about ways to save money and live frugally without being extreme or insane. I used these methods to save for my down payment, and I continue to use them to survive being a new, yet thrifty, homeowner.

This entry was posted in Couponing, House Poor Summer Tour, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to House Poor Summer Tour: Super Double Coupon Savings

1. I always really enjoy your couponing posts. I saved about 15 dollars last grocery trip run actually. (we spent 170 though). I’m lucky that we can shop at the commissary, though I wish they did double coupons. Did you find coupons on fage yogurt? I love that stuff (better then chobani) but it’s so expensive!

Yep, they were on Coupons.com a while back, a printable with a very long expiration date. The coupon was $1 off 4, which doubled to $2. They were $1 each… so I got 4 yogurts for $2. 50% savings!

Fage is our favorite… every time there are coupons for it, I always print as many as my computers will allow (I have 2 computers, and most computers let you print 2 copies… so 4 total). A lot of times the only yogurt coupons I see are other brands that we don’t like as much but we love Fage.

2. YAY! I haven’t seen a post like this in a while, so I was excited to see! I really wish that we had a Harris Teeter close by to where I am (oh the struggle), I envy those that can go during these times! I’m so thankful to you for getting me into couponing! 🙂 I wish when Chris and I had bought our first home we had been more frugal (or else we would not be in the situation that we are in now), but I look forward to saving and putting money aside so that Chris and I can *hopefully* look at homes again soon 🙂
    Have a great Thursday!

-Mel

Yeah, Cola doesn’t have an HT! We have tons here in Charleston though. It is weird there isn’t one in Columbia. There are also tons in NC. I hope you can look at homes again soon too.

3. Liz says:

I just can’t get into couponing! Maybe if I had more free time, but I don’t! It would definitely be nice to save some more money though. We spend a ton at the grocery store (but buy mostly produce and meats). I’ve been trying to get deals on makeup at CVS and stuff like that, but I really don’t buy a whole of stuff like that anymore!

Yeah, I do the CVS thing too for all our toothpaste, body wash, shampoo, etc. It really helps, as long as you use the ExtraCare Bucks before they expire! If the sale is good, I definitely stock up on things that don’t expire, or things that don’t expire for a LONG time. Like cereal, which is good for like, a year, after you buy it.

4. So we don’t have a Harris Teeter’s in st Louis. I was wondering if you have suggestions for other stores. love hearing about your couponing! I defiantly need to get on board. The problem I found, was a lot of the products I don’t buy on a regular basis.

I would check out the Frugal map link, they have coupon bloggers for all areas of the country. Or, the Money Saving Mom grocery store link, that matches up all the grocery stores (well, the major chains in the US) sales with coupons.

5. WOW, I really need to start using coupons more! Nice work!

6. harveylisam says:

Man, almond milk really adds up! Awesome that you were able to save on it. Also, holy savings, Batman!! Nice work 😛

Thanks girly- you are right on the Almond Milk, it can be pricey. There are almost always coupons on the So Delicious milks though. I don’t really drink cow’s milk either, but sometimes cow’s milk does go on sale at my grocery store.

7. allieksmith says:

Wow, Harris Teeter is where it’s at for coupons! My local grocery store doubles coupons up to 99 cents all the time, but it’s never doubled anything over that amount. I would love that, haha.

I think it’s awesome that you’re into couponing!

Thanks girly. I watched another show today, “Extreme Cheapskates”… now that was crazy! Glad I am just a couponer and not too psycho with it!

You’re lucky to have stores that double! Some areas don’t do that… but HT doubles up to 99 cents every day and some weeks, I actually save a lot with that because the items I need are on sale and have coupons, or I can use two coupons on a “Buy one get one free” sale :).