Go Red for Women’s Hearts 5K (22:21 and a new PR)

First, if you haven’t entered my giveaway for a free entry into The Color Run, go enter now! You still have a few more days and the odds are pretty good. There’s also a code to save $5 in the post.

On Saturday, I ran the Go Red Heart 5K in Mt. Pleasant. The race raises awareness of women’s heart disease and the proceeds benefit educational efforts and programs at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC).

As a member of the Charleston Girls Run This Town Facebook group, we got a discount code to run the Go Red for Heart 5K for only $20, which was quite a steal. I can’t pass up a $20 race (races are quite pricey here in Charleston and $25-30 is typical, with some up to $45-50).

gr5k1

I woke up super early to hydrate, eat breakfast, and head to Mt. Pleasant to pick up my packet that morning. I *hate* doing race day packet pickup because I’m scared I won’t get a shirt in my size, but I couldn’t pick up my packet the Friday before since the Cooper River Bridge was closed due to falling ice. I was really glad the bridge was reopened for the race; it was not held on the bridge, but there are only 2 ways to get to Mt. Pleasant, and the bridge is the way I go.

It started raining 20 minutes before the race started, so I changed out of my white shirt into a green, long sleeved, TrySports shirt. I didn’t want to give other runners a show in the rain, but most of the heavy rain held off until the race was over, fortunately!

gr5k3

The race course ran from the Charleston Harbor Marina, around Patriot’s Point and underneath the Bridge, then back. It’s Mt. Pleasant, so it was a very flat and very fast course like most Charleston courses. Minus a few weird roundabouts at the beginning, it is an ideal PR course, even wet from all the rain.

I stayed close to the top 3 ladies for awhile- a LOT of us ran in a pack for about the first mile or so. Then, the pack spread out quite a bit. The lady who was 3rd ended up winning for females, and I ended up 20 seconds behind the third place female. I don’t race with a watch because I like to be surprised, and I turned the corner to finish the race, very surprised to see the finish clock switch from 21 to 22. That’s when I knew it would be another PR and took off for a 22:21.

I took 4th place female overall, but am way more proud of a PR because that’s based on my ability. Placing mostly depends on who shows up. I always feel like 4th is “first loser”, but I won my age group and got a sweet mug, a coupon for a free salad at Verde (a very health conscious prize… free salad), and a decent picture with the race organizer.

gr5k2

I like receiving coffee mugs as race awards; I write my finish time and placement on the bottom of the mug with the sharpie and don’t really use them (my friend put hers in the dishwasher and the handle broke off, unfortunately).

The race also gave out a ton of door prizes that were really amazing! I wasn’t lucky enough to win anything else, but they gave away makeovers, hair appointments, gift cards, purses, and other really cool stuff. They also had a costume contest. Most everyone in our group left with something- the door prizes were way better than the running race awards, too.

I was pretty stoked about my PR and celebrated later with dinner with Clay at Triangle Char-N-Bar in West Ashley, followed by moose tracks ice cream (the best). I had the black bean burger at Triangle which was so big it was a challenge to eat, but still very delicious.

I had a good time at the race. It was very no-frills and simple, but a fun way to spend Saturday morning (not like I don’t already spend every Saturday morning running or racing somewhere). However, I’m *really* glad to have this Saturday off to chill out and just do a long run with the TrySports run club, who I’ve really missed with all the races lately, and give my body a break from the pain train of 5Ks!

This entry was posted in 5Ks, Mt Pleasant, Race Recaps and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Go Red for Women’s Hearts 5K (22:21 and a new PR)

1. Fantastic PR! Your races always have such cool prizes. We just get medals. My own goal is to get this fast by the end of the year.

Thank you :).

As far as getting faster… speedwork on the track definitely helps! Just once a week, I go with a group of girls and we push each other. It is not hard if you have others there to do it with you and I actually look forward to it. Hills are great too. I think lots of people expect to do the same old training but with they were faster, and it doesn’t work that way.

2. Adrienne says:

congrats on a great race!! cool prize. Verde is awesome!

I haven’t been yet. I’m excited to use my coupon, it expires at the end of the month though. I will prolly go to the Mt. P one just because they have more parking close by there. I hate having to deal with garages downtown (Unless I am running hills in those garages of course… which IMHO is the secret to PRs hehe).

3. Liz says:

Good job!!!! That’s a great time! I really want to start doing 5ks more but then I feel like I have so much to spend money on right now that I should be saving it until I really start training more. Then I want to start doing more to prepare for waking up to do a 1/2 (cause I HATE running in the morning). That black bean burger looks SO good! Yum! Enjoy a Saturday off from racing this weekend 🙂

If you can find cheap 5Ks, do them… the more I race, the faster I end up running and racing. Sometimes it’s hard but there are ways. If I can find one for $20 or less, I’m usually in for it. I don’t spend a lot of money on other things like going out and I figure a 5K race is almost always cheaper than going out, or a carton of cigarettes, or other things people spend money on that aren’t as healthy. It’s also my social time… actually, social is pretty much the biggest reason why I run so many races :).

• Liz says:

Haha well I’m not throwing down $20s on cartons of cigarettes either! I had a lapse in running (for like 2 months) so I hope that when I start travel nursing that I can run some, and it’ll be more fun cause it’ll be in other cities then too! CrossFit used to be my social time when I was really used to the gym so I LOVED going! I still don’t know the people at my gym now well enough to think of it as social time, but I definitely get liking to do those types of things because of that!

My friend is a travel nursing recruiter, it always seemed like a really cool career. It’s neat that you can travel with it too, see new places while making money and meeting people. If I was a nurse, I’d really like that too.

I mostly think of my races as social time since most of my friends are runners. I have a few gym friends too, but at the gym I’m usually there JUST to work out and maybe chat with a couple instructors.

4. Christine says:

Congrats on your PR! I am living vicariously through all of your training and PRs right now since I have one speed at the moment: slow, and I can’t push myself with speedwork workouts. How I miss the track! Can’t wait until late summer when I can get back at it!

You will be back in no time, just take it easy! It’s a different stage of life for you right now, but nothing will take away your PRs and the races you have run. You are still a runner and soon you will be raising another one, setting a great example :).

5. harveylisam says:

Girl!! PR city over there! Amazing progress 🙂

6. cncheat88 says:

Congrats on the PR!!!

7. Misti purvis says:

You r fast!

8. Awesome PR, and my gosh that black bean burger looks great!

Thanks. It’s at Triangle Char N Bar in Avondale, that place is so delicious. We love it! They gave $10 off coupons to everyone who ran Charlie Post Classic so we saved money on the food too.

9. mtbader says:

Big congrats on the PR!

10. Amy says:

Woo-Hoo! Congrats on the PR. Sounds like you got a lot of swag for your prize. Nice. And that burger looks amazing-I adore black bean burgers.

I love black bean burgers too- and really any veggie burger, especially homemade ones. I only eat the frozen patties when I have to, like for quick lunches. Triangle has delicious burgers :).

11. Laura says:

THAT BURGER!!! I want it. Now. =)

Congratulations on the PR!! You truly amaze me with your passion for running. It’s great that you found something you love so much- and you’re pretty darn good at it!

12. allieksmith says:

Awesome job on your PR! I think it’s so cool that they gave out coffee mugs as a race award. I like your idea of writing on the bottom of it, too 🙂

13. Congrats on the PR! I am not a fan of race day packet pickup either but sometimes it’s the only choice.

14. LilMysNinja says:

Congrats on the PR! I hate running in the rain. It’s not so bad in the summer I guess, but cold rain in the winter sucks. That’s cool that you write your info on the bottom of your prize mugs!