Life Lately: Snow Days, Weddings, Group Runs, and Zen

Hey everyone! I hope you’re all surviving winter, since most of you have legit winters- unlike Charleston. I don’t really like winter weather, and I don’t think many Charleston residents do, especially since most of us moved here from colder climates.

64558_10201798037456293_773814001_n

We survived the ice storm of 2014, minus losing power for 45 minutes on Wednesday morning. We live pretty far from the coast, and we had icicles dangling from cars and car doors that were frozen shut, but no legitimate snow.

The wind was calm, so it wasn’t even THAT cold. It actually felt warmer outside than it did on Saturday for the Charlie Post Classic and much warmer than the super windy Charleston Half Marathon.

Since we didn’t get any snow here in West Ashley, I didn’t take pictures of the house or cars. But, here’s a picture of the closed-down Cooper River Bridge, taken from Holy City Helicopters. The bridge was closed for almost 48 hours, and it’s surreal seeing it empty and covered with ice.

holy_city_helicopters_closed_arb

The bridge finally opened just in time for rush hour on Thursday. Plus, our expected high on Sunday is 70 degrees. Gotta love the South!

If you are stuck inside this winter, my friend and training partner, Taylor, wrote this awesome blog post of ways to survive a Winterapocalypse.

Aside from staying warm in the weather, Clay and I went out with some friends to Zen Asian Fusion a few nights ago. Nadine wanted to try it, so Clay and I said we’d go since we know it’s delicious, and our friend Brad tagged along because he’s fairly new in town and lives nearby.

Nadine’s having her baby soon, so it’s nice to spend some time with her. She definitely got a lot bigger since the baby shower, because she only has a few more weeks until she’s due.

Zen Asian Fusion isn’t a showy Hibachi-style restaurant, but the food is delicious and the sushi presentation is really beautiful (we didn’t get sushi, so no pics to show).

I had the vegetable udon noodles, and Clay and I shared an order of spring rolls.

The noodles were warm and filling- just what I wanted on such a cold night. We all had a great time and will definitely go back. Clay and I go regularly for lunch.

Clay and I also travelled up to Marion on Saturday for his friend Chad’s wedding. Chad works with me at ACS (although he works in the office, I work from home but for ACS), so I got to see a ton of coworkers and Clay got to see a lot of college friends.

This picture reminds me that I need some new clothes for things like weddings (I pretty much only own jeans, long sleeved knit tops, and athletic clothes).

We didn’t really take any other pictures- we were really busy mingling and enjoying everyone’s company (along with the delicious food and wedding cake, of course). Maybe that makes me a bad blogger for not taking pictures, but whatever!

My friend Virginia and I braved the cold on Sunday for the OnShore Racing group run, followed by brunch at Moe’s Crosstown Tavern, because you can’t spell brunch without RUN. We had a huge group and I ran 8 miles at around 8 min/mile pace with some speedsters.

I’ve met a couple new training partners lately, and it’s neat to have others push you to run your best, but also be your best person overall.

1622234_216968685157485_991421621_n

I snapped this amazing shot of Virginia and baby Stella, too. Virginia is proof that you can rock out running with a baby stroller. She ran the Charleston half marathon and is getting ready for her first post-baby marathon on March 1 in Little Rock.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and stays warm!

This entry was posted in Weekend Fun and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Life Lately: Snow Days, Weddings, Group Runs, and Zen

1. Thanks for including me! I love Zen, don’t think I’ve gone with Dan though. Our favorite sushi place is Bashidos (right by our house)! Now I’m craving sushi! See you Tuesday.

We’ve been to Bushido’s but it’s been a LONG time. Clay and some friends did the spicy tuna roll challenge. None of them managed to get their name and picture on the coveted wall, but we haven’t been back since. We hadn’t discovered Zen back then, either. I like them both and I guess they are about the same distance from us… I really just like Asian food in general :).

2. I keep forgetting that you are in Charleston… I sat here thinking “We did get snow!” lol. I only snapped a few photos…. We actually still have snow here in Elgin on the ground. Impressive it stayed that long.
    Our rollercoaster of weather pattern this coming week is ridiculous! I hate when I have to change clothing types to go out the door– and then 3 days later we’re having colds because of the drastic weather change 😦 Little man was up half the night for the past 2 days because of it!
    I hope you have a great weekend! 🙂

-Mel

Haha, it wasn’t even enough for me to brave the elements to take a picture of my home! It’s about 70 today, feels great out. Love the weather today. But, I do agree with you, the drastic changes are very hard on our bodies and cause colds and sickness :(.

3. harveylisam says:

I’m resisting the urge to tease you for your version of winter, haha. 😛 I also have a very minimal non-workout clothes wardrobe – one of the reasons why I want to work in the ER is because I only ever have to wear scrubs haha.

Sounds like you had a fun weekend, despite the cold. Stay warm!

Yeah, our version of winter is pretty wimpy, but we have crazy hot and humid summers here to make up for it. The South just isn’t equipped to deal with winter weather because we don’t get it very often. No snow plows, salt for the roads, etc… and it’s not a bad thing, I mean I don’t see why the state should invest in things like that for occurrences like this that rarely happen.

I’d never be able to live any farther north, though :).

4. thats crazy they closed the bridge down for ice! I know that I am over this winter, and we still have a ways to go!

5. Thanks for your comment on my blog. It’s very exciting to know that someone read it since it’s my first one. haha
    I also find it tempting to tease you about your “winter” since I’m from NY and currently in the Buffalo area. I was actually on the phone with a friend of mine that lives in Summerville and he was giving me updates on the slush and when it turned into snow. For some reason I was super jealous to not be there to see snow falling in SC even though I’m sick of the snow that I have to walk through everyday here. I can’t wait to get rid of my winter boots once I move. Except I’ll probably just need to exchange them for rain boots for all the summer rainstorms and downtown flooding. haha

Even if you’re used to seeing snow up north, it’s so common there that seeing it in the South is definitely… different. We didn’t really see much, just slush out here. I think the coastal areas, like Mt. P, saw a lot more.

You should definitely get some high-quality rain boots if you’ll be downtown much, there are tons of puddles and it rains here quite often, especially in the summer!

6. Are. You. Kidding. Me?? I just typed a nice long response for you, and the Wi-Fi station I’m at right now timed out when I sent my response, so now I need to write another one. Think I’ll copy next time, that way I can paste if that happens again. Anyways…

Hi, Amy! I’m glad you are safe after the ice storm this week. I’ve been in almost week-long power outages in the winter. They’re really not too bad, especially if you have plenty of blankets and hoodies and such… and bonus, your food is able to stay safe a little longer in the fridge if wind chill is below zero. 😉

But I can understand how winter weather could be a little overwhelming for SC residents. A lot of people in Ohio don’t like winter, but I actually don’t mind it. I would rather layer up to keep warm and wear proper winter accessories, instead of… well, taking off my clothes to keep cool in 90+ degree weather in the summer. I mean, there’s only so many layers you can take off before it becomes illegal. LOL. But anyways, wintertime is nice for me… when it gets really humid in the summer, I eventually feel worn out, fatigued, sick to my stomach, dry and just feeling blah from sweating so much. Plus, I work right next to a hot toaster at work, so these really low temperatures up here keep that toaster more bearable.

Oh, yes. A lot of people don’t know that bridges ice before roads in the wintertime. There’s always so many accidents on bridges up here, since people don’t know how to slow down. Lots of collision, and occasionally a semi truck falling over the guard rail. Ick.

Your noodles look yummy! 😀

Well, this response is shorter than my last one, but I’m still copying & pasting if it doesn’t go through.

If I lived in Ohio, I’d have to work beside a toaster too. I’m actually planning to hit Panera soon here because I want to try a salad they have that my friend told me about.

Our bridges can be dangerous in general, and there are only a few routes in and out of town and the surrounding areas, so when one closes, it’s mass chaos! Obviously if Charleston had cold weather frequently, our bridges would be built differently to accommodate that… but they’re just not.

I don’t mind the heat and humidity. It’s just like the cold there- you get used to it and it’s all about what you’re used to.

7. allieksmith says:

Man! That is just crazy about that bridge being closed!! I guess that’s the south for you, huh?! I’m kind of jealous 😉

I like the picture of you and Clay at Chad’s wedding! You look so nice in that shade of blue!

It’s okay to be jealous! The bad thing about the bridges being closed in Charleston is that we have so many rivers, that there are really only a few ways to get from place to place. There are 2 bridges out of Mt. Pleasant and one was closed, so you can imagine traffic! Same thing happens here when there’s a wreck (only on a smaller scale).

Thanks for the compliments on my shirt- I’ve had it since my first big-girl job I got in 07. Which means my wardrobe definitely needs an upgrade.