A Very Charleston Christmas 2013

Merry Christmas everyone!

It’s no secret that I love my city, so I wanted to share some pictures from around town. I live in Charleston, SC, which is one of the top tourist destinations in the country. It’s a beautiful, fun, and exceptionally warm place to live.

DSCN6606-001

First, I’ll my own Christmas decorations. While we live in Suburbia by the Swamp and far from downtown, our decorations are technically in a Charleston ZIP Code.

It’s not super obvious in the picture, but we used colorful lights on our tree this year. Two strands of lights on our pre-lit tree burned out, so Clay and I ended up taking all the white lights off.

Let’s just say taking the lights off a pre-lit tree is crazy hard on your fingers, and mine hurt even a few days later- yikes! It was worth it to see the beautiful tree decorated with all my ornaments and those handed down from my mom and grandma.

We also hung our Carolina Gamecock and Vera Bradley stockings by the fireplace. Since it’s our first Christmas in our new home, we’re enjoying the stockings by the fireplace. Living in Charleston, I doubt the fireplace will be used for any other purpose.

Here in West Ashley, even our local Coburg Cow got into the Christmas spirit. The sign with the spinning cow is still in town, even though the Coburg dairy is closed. Instead, we have Borden milk here, which is why the egg nog in the picture is Borden brand.

People use the spinning cow (some have named her “Westie” for West Ashley Cow) for directions here- as in, a location is “a few blocks from the cow”.

There’s also a Christmas tree in Colonial Lake– it lights up at night, but I haven’t gotten there to take a picture of it after dark. Sometimes friends and I meet near Colonial Lake to run- there’s a running and walking path around the lake as well as parking.

Another fun part of Downtown Charleston around Christmas is the model train display in the Charleston Place hotel. One of my friends, Jeanette, works at the hotel and posted about it on Facebook, telling everyone to check it out. It’s worth stopping in for if you’re downtown during the holidays.

I’m not a big model train fan, but it has something for everyone… even mountains and a ski lift!

Here’s the outside of Charleston Place hotel and shops, as seen from King Street. The city closes King Street to car traffic (pedestrians only) every Sunday afternoon during the month of December. It brings business into the shops and gives people a chance to enjoy the beautiful weather. There are wreaths on the light poles downtown too.

Before church on Sunday, a quartet played Moravian Christmas carols as people walked in. I heard them walking down Meeting Street before realizing they were outside my church. I attend Circular Congregational Church, a historical church on Meeting Street. It’s existed since the 1600s and prides itself as a “progressive and inclusive spiritual community”. Being more spiritual than religious, it’s my kind of place.

The service had a lot of musical numbers featuring the choir, guest musicians, and some Charleston Symphony Orchestra performers.

I hope everyone enjoyed the pictures and that you can all enjoy your city’s holiday festivities, too! Happy holidays!

This entry was posted in Downtown, West Ashley and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to A Very Charleston Christmas 2013

1. Amy says:

Merry Christmas!

2. ahellams says:

Loved reading this and seeing all my favorite sights here!! Hope you had a great Christmas!!

3. Merry Christmas Amy! I’m so glad you guys had a wonderful first Christmas in your first home! 🙂

4. harveylisam says:

Oh man, what an epic model train! Merry Christmas, Amy!

5. allieksmith says:

Wow, it seems like the whole Charleston area really gets into Christmas. I love that!! I hope your Christmas was great, Amy!

6. looks like a blast! Merry Christmas!

7. ladycoop says:

Hope y’all had a very Merry Christmas!

8. Have a great Christmas. I didn’t know about The Charleston Place. I’ll have to peek inside it next year.

9. Merry Christmas!! Charleston is beautiful! I can’t believe you took all the lights off the tree, must have taken forever(totally worth it like you said).

My fiance and I drove around the other night in our city and looked at everyones’ christmas lights, amazing way to see a city!

I love looking at Christmas lights in neighborhoods. We usually go to the lights festival on James Island here, but before moving down, we usually just drove around neighborhoods. Some people do it big at their houses!

10. LilMysNinja says:

Thanks for sharing! I had no idea that the close King St down on Sundays on December. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever been in Charleston in December.

I know that cow all too well! I love that they have a bottle of eggnog up.

I love that cow :). I like eggnog too, hehe. I might go get some Silk nog today (dairy doesn’t like me).

King Street is also closed the 2nd Sunday of each month, every month. I didn’t realize they closed it every Sunday in December until this year, either.

11. olivetorun says:

Oh I’m sure Charleston would be absolutely beautiful during Christmas. 🙂

12. Merry belated Christmas, Amy! Woohoo, another tour of Charleston. It’s so weird seeing lack of snow down there and people in short sleeves! We’re in our high teens up here. I would die if I dressed like that up here this time of year. Haha.

The train set looks really awesome. 🙂

I grew up with colored lights. My parents started using white lights a couple years ago… pretty much after the youngest one (ME) moved out. I like color better, but I can tolerate white. My brother’s wife, however, has declared many, many times that she hates color. She doesn’t do color. It “hurts” her eyes. So, obviously she didn’t like what my parents did for Christmas when her and John spent Christmas with us in 2009. Thankfully, my parents still went with what they wanted though and didn’t give into her (she always likes to get her own way). My parents went with a “silver and gold” theme this year with white lights and everything. It was pretty. 🙂

No snow here but the other morning, I had frost on my wind shield. I had to turn on my defroster for a few minutes before I left go to run.

We always did colorful lights on our trees growing up. Also, my tree generally looks the same from year to year, family heirloom ornaments! I never do themed trees or all one color of ornaments, etc. It’s not the neatest, most commercial looking tree, but it’s our tree. I am thinking I will do a running tree next year of all medals!

13. chasingthekenyans says:

I love that you were able to get out and around to enjoy some of the Christmas festivities! Belated, but hope you guys had an awesome Christmas and New Years!

Thanks girly- we had a great time. I didn’t blog about Christmas Day really because we spent it with family, but it was fun. We didn’t really go downtown at night this Christmas, but oh well. I run downtown a lot so I still got to see things.

Yesterday, the Christmas tree was STILL in the Colonial Lake.