Holiday Fun, Runch, Moe’s Tavern, and Christmas at Northwood

I think it’s time for another random life update from the weekend.

Sunday morning, I slept in a bit. You know you’re a runner when sleeping until 7:30 is to you what sleeping until noon is to your average non-runner friends. At 9, I met up with Virginia, Rocky, Rachael, Mikey, and Michael for an 8 mile run around downtown Charleston. We ran to the Battery where the cannons are, around South of Broad, and a lap around Hampton Park. Rocky and Virginia have a new organization, OnShore Racing, and today was the first group run.

Virginia is training for the Charleston Half Marathon and coming back from pregnancy and injury, so we’re starting slowly and increasing one mile each Sunday. Rachael is doing the Last Chance 50K ultra next weekend. Baby Stella joined us in the stroller and loved it; she slept most of the time and Virginia smoked the pace. Our mile splits were all under 10 minute miles except one, which isn’t bad considering the stop-and-go running of downtown Charleston.

1012796_198837230303964_1470221170_n (1)

After our run, we rocked our sweats for a brunch at Moe’s Crosstown Tavern. For 15 years, Moe’s Crosstown Tavern has had “a good time on the bad side of town”. It is located near Hampton Park and The Citadel (military college). Wagener Terrace is not really the bad side of town, but I guess it was a bit worse 15 years ago before the neighborhood was revitalized. Moe’s food is cheap and hearty, but it’s also delicious and unique; a breakfast sandwich on a donut is definitely a crazy twist.

1460016_198837360303951_1820972744_n

I had the omelet, cheese grits, and biscuit (which I brought home and ate with some other leftovers for dinner). Rachael got an omelet too. I tasted Virginia’s pumpkin pancakes and the obviously spiked syrup; everything was pretty tasty.

If you’re in the Charleston area and haven’t tried Moe’s Crosstown, you are missing out- skip the tourist traps downtown and just go to Moe’s. Better yet, come run with us on a Sunday morning, and you’ll have good company at Moe’s!

1457488_198837253637295_1717305026_n

Another fun thing I did this weekend was attend Christmas at Northwood, a variety show with Christmas music, songs, dancers and comedy. It’s held each year at Northwood Baptist Church, and performers audition and come from all over the Charleston area. Some of our friends, John and Elijah, were in the show as actors. John’s daughter, Chandler, worked backstage with costume/scene changes, and his wife kept the nursery- so their whole family was involved with the show.

Fullscreen capture 1282013 103949 PM.bmp

Christmas at Northwood featured performers from dance schools and the arts middle school, along with church members and friends, and the performances were amazing. John said they rehearsed for four months for the show, and you could tell. The program listed the cast’s accolades, in which included multiple stage performances, and most of the high school students who performed are hoping to go to college for dance or singing (and should have no trouble doing that based on what I saw).

Virginia and I sat together and enjoyed the show, then had some refreshments and hung out with the Meadows’ for a bit. Christmas at Northwood is a great show; Sunday was the last performance, but they perform each year, and it’s worth seeing.

Besides brunch, running, and the Christmas show, I baked a ton of cookies to share with friends, worked on Christmas cards, and finally got our decorations up.

I feel accomplished, but it has been a busy weekend, and I hope everyone had some holiday fun. Speaking of holidays, my friend shared this awesome graphic on Facebook and I had to steal it from Reddit.

How to respond to holiday greetings, as a flow chart. - Imgur

No matter what you celebrate or say, have a great week and holiday season!

This entry was posted in Downtown, Friends, Holidays, North Charleston, OnShore Racing and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Holiday Fun, Runch, Moe’s Tavern, and Christmas at Northwood

1. harveylisam says:

100% of your last graphic!!

2. I am glad everything is going well down there! I hope you are able to stay warm and enjoy the Holidays. I am in agreement as far as the Holiday wishing goes. It’s so sad people get so upset for wishing someone the “wrong” holiday.

We’re staying pretty warm here. I guess it’s around 60 or so today, very nice outside. There are a lot of places out there experiencing ice and chilly temps, though! Those things just shut Charleston down, so hopefully we don’t get them. But sometimes temperatures in the 40s are kinda nice 🙂

3. Steph says:

Love it. Sounds like a great weekend! Also, I could kill for some pumpkin pancakes right now. Mmmmmmm

I could really go for some right now too… I tasted Va’s and they were really good. I wish they had them every Sunday, I really should’ve gotten that instead of my omelet since the pancakes were the special.

4. Sounds like a great time!! I haven’t been to Moes Tavern but I’ve heard great things! We don’t do brunch nearly enough! We are this weekend though and I’m pumped!

Moe’s is delicious :). I like this Moe’s way better than the Moe’s Southwest Grill chain, so I have to clarify to people which Moe’s I mean, lol.

We almost never do brunch out; the few times I’ve had brunch out have been with friends mostly (and usually after running).

5. allieksmith says:

I loove learning about local places like Moe’s! Places like that are always soo good.

I love the last graphic you posted, too. I totally agree with it… people pretty much always have good intent with what they say regarding holidays!

Ironically, the graphic was originally posted on the atheist Reddit board (which isn’t entirely atheist, but focuses on science, logic, and of course, stuff like this). One of the United Church of Christ Facebook accounts I follow, Kissing Fish, reposted it and that’s where I found it.

Moe’s is delicious. It was voted best bar food in Charleston and wins that award year after year. It’s basically like gourmet bar food for cheap!

6. Christine says:

Ah, I saw this event posted on the running meetup group and almost signed up since I missed my Saturday long run because of the Reindeer Run. And then I didn’t. Fail for me. Looks like a fun time!

You should come out! We are doing it again next Sunday and running 9 miles if you want to join us. Pace is between 9-10 minute mile. I may or may not do Moe’s this Sunday, I kinda want to go to church (I go to church downtown at Circular, but I skipped this past Sunday since I was already going to the program at John’s church). So, you should run with us at least one Sunday and we will hit Moe’s!

• Christine says:

I signed up to come this Sunday. Sounds like a nice, easy long run! That way I don’t have to sandwich the Jingle Bell Run with a long run on Saturday. Works out perfectly!

Awesome, you will enjoy it. My friend is training for the Charleston half and doing these as her long runs, that’s why we are doing 9ish. We are just going up by one mile each week bc she is returning from a pregnancy and an injury.

7. That looks like a lot of fun! I really wanted to get down to Charleston this year, but it just didn’t work in our favor. I’m really hoping this coming up year that we can! I would love to take Little Man to Folly Beach, and I would love to just walk around downtown! It’d be great to finally meet you and Clay, so maybe we can actually make that a reality after— almost a decade of “commenting on eachother’s blogs, posts, and facebook statuses” 🙂

Downtown is pretty amazing, and I know your little boy would love the beaches here. I hope you can get down to visit soon and we can hang out. It’s really a shame we’ve never met in person when we really don’t live that far from each other. I *never* get to Columbia anymore. Once we moved from Florence, that was pretty much it. We went there a lot more when we lived in Flo.

8. LilMysNinja says:

I’m probably going to take you up on the Sunday run offer next time I’m down there, but I’ll probably stick to the omelet and cheese grits too. I just can’t get over burgers on a donut. I’ve seen them make donut burgers at the fair in Columbia and that’s just insane. I enjoy a good donut every now and then, but as a burger? Ummm, no thanks. 🙂