Life Lately: Thanksgiving Edition

Morning peeps! I hope all of you in the United States have had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend and haven’t eaten too much turkey or shopped until you dropped (yet- considering we have a few more days to go this weekend).

1461711_673056373303_2142454260_n

Clay and I stayed close to home this year. It was our first Thanksgiving celebrating in our home; last year was our first Thanksgiving in Charleston. His parents came down for the night, and we all had dinner here at our house, along with mine and Clay’s friends James, Nadine, Grace and Grace’s baby, Zoe.

Since they couldn’t make it, we sent plates of food to David and Janeau (Nadine and Grace’s husband’s, respectively) as they are in the Navy and had to work.

We open our home up to our friends every holiday, since many of them don’t have family nearby. We did the same thing on July 4 when we had a cookout here. Our friends are like family here, so we all celebrate together.

Our menu was turkey, ham, stuffing, mac and cheese, yams, beans, field peas, corn, collards, salad, rolls, and probably a few more items that I can’t remember. Clay and his dad were in charge of the turkey this year, and they grilled it- their first time grilling one. I don’t eat turkey, but everyone said it was delicious and moist.

I don’t eat turkey, but everyone said it was delicious and moist. As usual, I wore my tofu shirt on Thanksgiving. I’m don’t protest meat or turkey on Thanksgiving, but it’s a good day to wear a fun shirt.

We also had four different desserts- chocolate layer cake, carrot cake, vanilla wafer cake, and coconut custard pie, all courtesy of Clay’s mom.

I didn’t take a ton of Thanksgiving pictures because we were busy enjoying ourselves. After the meal, we all watched talked, looked at Black Friday ads, and watched football~ good times! We have a ton of leftovers now, so neither of us will have to cook or eat at restaurants for the rest of the weekend.

Aside from Thanksgiving, Clay ordered and received a new Xbox.

The UPS delivery guy did an amazing job of hiding it. Who would ever guess a package is under this welcome mat?

Needless to say, Clay was overjoyed to receive his Xbox- guys and their video games! (I know this has nothing to do with Thanksgiving, but the picture of the package was just too good not to share).

Have a great weekend and don’t fall into a turkey coma in the Black Friday lines today. Enjoy your friends and family and let’s kick off the holiday season- Happy Thanksgiving, Thanksgivakuh, Chanukah, Black Friday, and Small Business Saturday!

This entry was posted in Holidays, Thankful and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Life Lately: Thanksgiving Edition

1. harveylisam says:

Haha I love the postman’s hiding spot. Amazing. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving, and enjoy the rest of your weekend! Those cakes sound delicious.

2. spectacuLAUR says:

It is so nice of you to open your house to all of your friends. You’re definitely a great person, I can totally tell by the way you share your life with everyone else. 🙂 I would appreciate this a lot if I were one of your friends and away from my family, which I’m sure they DO appreciate it a lot! 😀

Thanks- I do hope they appreciate it. A lot of people move to Charleston for jobs or for the military (lots of Air Force and Navy here), so we like to just invite anyone we know who may not have family in town to spend the holidays with to spend it with us!

3. Liz says:

Haha awesome picture of the box. That’s not obvious at all! You took such small portions! I ate so much food yesterday! I feel like I could go days without eating! Happy Thanksgiving!

Haha, this was only plate #1, I got seconds of most of this. It’s also a big platter so really, it was a pretty big portion. We don’t use regular sized paper plates, I had to buy the jumbo platters for all of us (and not pictured are a slice of both chocolate cake and carrot cake… because you can’t just pick one dessert).

4. I bet that was super relaxing to stay at home. I’m glad you had such a great Thanksgiving. I hope you had a great time Black Friday shopping. God knows I was not going out to do any of that today. #internetshopperforlife

You know, we waited until later and it was not that bad. I think because we avoided electronics stores and the busy shopping mall. Our Black Friday shopping consisted of Belk, Lowe’s, and Costco. The longest line we waited in was at Belk where there were 3 people ahead of us, and we got everything we went out for… not that we wanted any big-ticket items.

We do a lot of online shopping too- like this Xbox. Thanks to Amazon Prime and 2-days shipping, you really can’t beat it.

5. allieksmith says:

I’m glad you had a great Thanksgiving! I saw the picture of Clay wearing shorts outside and sighed. I want to wear shorts outside!! The high today was 30* haha. I like your shirt… I think it’s cool to poke fun at things like that every once in a while 🙂

Also, Clay’s mom is awesome for baking everything! Wow!!

It was pretty warm the day the Xbox arrived… it really just depends lately around here. He wore shorts today but I didn’t. The last few times i’ve run outside, I’ve actually worn pants because it was chilly (and bc I just got new pants and wanted to try them out). It has been colder here the last couple of days but typically you can run in shorts year round.

I love that shirt so much! I’m pretty lose in not eating meat, as I do eat seafood occasionally, and I’d eat meat if I wanted it. I do enjoy eating a plant-based diet.

6. Amy says:

Sounds like an awesome thanksgiving! I love doing TG with friends…its much easier than traveling back to PA and much more relaxing to hang out with friends, too. Our friends gave us a ton of leftovers to bring home, but we were out (house-hunting!) all day and ended up starving and went out for lunch. But it was a cute, inexpensive lunch place in our (potential) new neighborhood so we were really supporting and getting to know our local community, right?

Totally important to find lunch in a potential new neighborhood! We did that when we were apartment hunting down here, and the place we went is now one of our favorite restaurants.

I think a lot of people eat out after Thanksgiving, either they are just out shopping and get hungry or they are tired of leftovers.

7. LilMysNinja says:

Happy thanksgiving to you and Clay! Friends are family too and it’s great that your friends have your place to go to when their families aren’t near. PJ and I spend the day by traveling to my parents’ house to spend part of the day with them and then the other part of the day with his family. It’s always a busy day of traveling, food, and family!

We’ve fried our turkey’s the past few years. I don’t think we’ve ever grilled one. Yours looked deeeelish!!!

8. Yummy Thanksgiving spread! The delivery people are so good at hiding packages… Some days they just put it under the mat and some days they put the package off to the side and move the mat over it and I’m like – wait who stole our doormat? for a second. Happy belated Thanksgiving!

Haha, I wonder why they didn’t just try to hide it in our bushes, you know? That would cover it up well. I bet it’s a rule that they HAVE to put things under the mat. USPS just puts them beside our door, though.