Old Village Harbor 5K (23:18)

Greetings everyone! I hope you all are staying warm. Here in Charleston, we are getting a day or so of winter weather. That’s how it goes down South and near the coast. Every year, we have a day or two that actually feels like winter, and today, it barely got to 50 degrees. On Saturday, it will be 75. Yikes!

1471197_668551920263_481548307_n

We didn’t really get snow here- or even frost. But it is chilly!

Fortunately, we had great weather for the Old Village Harbor 5K Saturday in Mt. Pleasant. This race is in its 14th year, which is pretty amazing for Mt. Pleasant, as many of our races in this area seem newer- with the exception of the very large 5Ks like Turkey Day Run, Charlie Post Classic, and of course, the Cooper River Bridge Run.

The Friday before, Clay and I went to TrySports Mt. Pleasant to pick up our shirts and race numbers. The shirts featured artwork from local artist, Tate Nation. Most of his paintings are Charleston/Mt. Pleasant scenes such as Shem Creek and Rainbow Row. Tate was also at the race selling prints, and we plan to purchase one for our house soon.

Here’s the artwork that was on this year’s shirt. Another big plus was that the race had plenty of shirts, including XXL. I was glad that Clay *finally* got a shirt that fits- not all runners are size XS or S, and the shirts were sized properly too (he got a XXL from one race that fits his dad, who usually wears a size Large).

1374828_251594768322895_1165422307_n

On Saturday morning, we left our house about an hour before the race and got there with time to go to the bathroom and for me to do a short warmup. The 5K begins and ends at Alhambra Hall, so you have a pretty incredible view of the harbor.

You can even see the cruise ship, the Carnival Fantasy, in the background of the picture.

The course is also pretty- and anyone who attends the TrySports Run Club has an automatic advantage on the course, as it’s our usual Tuesday and Thursday morning route. Aside from a slight incline on Pitt Street, the course is flat and pretty fast- with a great view.

The race wasn’t very large and the way the course was designed, I got to see a lot of runners on the double out-and-back course. Clay gave me a high five at one point and a few beginner runners I knew were cheering me on. I always like to run back on the course and cool down when I’m done, so I can cheer them on too.

I stayed close to my TrySports Ambassador teammate Joelle who finished just ahead of me. The second place overall female was a little ahead of her, and the female winner was a good minute ahead of me (I never saw her during the race). I wasn’t fully recovered from the James Island Connector Run 10K and a hard training week, so it wasn’t my best time ever, but I still had a lot of fun! Joelle edged me for 3rd female overall, but I won the 25-29 age group, even with my 23:18.

I know I can run below 23 minutes when my legs aren’t trashed- and I also found out my iron stores/ferritin are low *again* last week at the doc. Yikes. Gotta get that up if I ever want to run fast.

After the race, I did my usual course cooldown and cheered for the runners. I ran beside Clay for a little while and “coached” him. He tried to tell me he couldn’t run any faster- and I told him that if he could talk when running, he was very capable of running faster!

Clay actually beat his time from the James Island Connector 5K by over 2 minutes, and I think this was a new PR for him (38:37). For someone who’s newer to running, he’s doing a great job and is very dedicated to his training.

The awards at this race were also super neat, and both Clay and I got them (he was 2nd in his age group). Instead of a medal, the Old Village Harbor 5K gives out sweetgrass basket Christmas ornaments. If you’ve ever visited Charleston, you’ve seen the ladies weaving sweetgrass baskets on Hwy 17 in Mt. Pleasant or in the City Market, so it’s a great locally flavored prize for a long-time local race. Every year at Christmas, we can put our ornaments on the tree and think of the race, unlike a medal that just hangs up.

The race also had tons of giveaways and door prizes- really good ones too! We were only one number away from winning a gift card to Triangle Char-N-Bar (one of our favorite Charleston restaurants)~ oh well! At least we made out with age group awards that were earned.

Post-race, we came home and showered, then went out to eat at Mex 1 to celebrate Clay’s PR with some nachos. We both enjoyed the Old Village Harbor 5K, and it was great sharing it with Clay.

As a TrySports Mt. Pleasant athlete ambassador, I received a complimentary race entry, as TrySports sponsors the race; however, all opinions expressed are my own. I am especially grateful for TrySports’ support to our local races, running community, and to my own training.

This entry was posted in 5Ks, Believe Achieve Run Club, Charleston SC, Mt Pleasant, Race Recaps, The Handsome Husband and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Old Village Harbor 5K (23:18)

1. Great job on your age group win and congrats to Clay on his PR! I love Old Village Mt P; I need to remember to run in that area more!

We normally do Tues/Thurs morning run club there, but it’s at 6 AM which is early for those of us who don’t live in Mt. P. It’s a beautiful place to run though- one of my favorite routes is the “pier to pier”, from Alhambra to Pitt Street, then to Shem Creek, back to Alhambra. It’s about 5.5 miles and a great morning run.

Thanks for the congratulations :). My body is feeling all the back to back races and I’m ready for a Saturday off. I’m thinking that will be Nov. 23. Of course, I’ll run a crazy long run that Saturday at IOP, but it’s different than a race.

2. spectacuLAUR says:

Great race! And congratulations to Clay! I always love when I get other people to love running just as much as I do 🙂

3. harveylisam says:

Great job to both you and Clay! I’m sure your winter weather is probably like my summer weather haha.

Supposedly it got below freezing here, which is surprising because I only remember it being below freezing maybe 2-3 times last winter, all winter long.

I’d say the winter temperatures down here are a lot like the Fall temperatures in the Northeast. It does get chilly here, though. Sometimes people move here thinking they can lay out on the beach in January, etc. Well, you can… but might not be very fun.

• harveylisam says:

Yeah I don’t think I’d be foolish enough to think I can lie on a beach anywhere in January, other than the Southern Hemisphere or Central America!

No- you’re too smart for that :). But you wouldn’t believe the kids who came down here for college (at my college) and thought they would not need to own a coat, could wear shorts and tank tops to class year round, etc. We have mild winters but we do have legit seasons.

• harveylisam says:

Those silly college kids! 😉 (You’d think that would be something you research before you move somewhere, hey?)

Most were student athletes and came for their official visits when it was hot out, lol.

4. Liz says:

Clay handled your advice like a champ (I assume). I used to get so annoyed when Jon would try to give me advice at CrossFit or when he does about running! I like advice, but he’s not an expert! And I get angry when I want to die, haha. I want to go back to visit Charleston! It’s so pretty! Reading about all these races is making me want to run one!

5. Congrats to both of you, Im sure he is grateful to have you to get advice from while he is training!!

6. Congratulations to you both! That’s a great time on tired legs Amy, though make sure you rest it up! Especially with the lower than normal iron levels, urghhh. I of course know you know this 🙂 I’m just a crazy person for respecting our bodies when it needs rest… for obvious reasons haha

Yeah, I did a cutback week last week. I do rest when I need to, unfortunately I’ve had low iron/ferritin levels for years (off and on). It’s something I’ve had to learn how to deal with, but it’s annoying. I’d bet that many other female runners have this issue too and don’t even know it.

7. It’s great that you both race! Congrats to both of you on earning age group awards at the race!

8. LilMysNinja says:

One of my favorite things to do in Charleston is walk the market and watch the ladies make baskets. Love it on a nice spring or summer day! That’s pretty cool that they gave those out for prizes instead of a medal or trophy. It makes it more “local” feeling…does that make sense?

Congrats on placing and congrats to Clay for a new PR! That’s awesome that you guys have that in common. PJ tried running for a little bit but it wasn’t for him. I think he tried to do too much at the beginning even though I tried to get him to slow down for fear of burning out quickly. But I guess it’s not for everyone. He likes lifting weights though.

Thanks- yeah those baskets are pretty awesome.

Clay likes running even though he is more of a weights guy. He is improving and enjoys it and ultimately that’s what matters more than pace, awards, distance, etc. We have fun doing the runs together, it’s a nice family activity.

9. Kara says:

That artwork on the tshirt is BEAUTIFUL!! I would like to hang that in my house, haha. That scene looks so peaceful.

You are a 5K champion! Congratulations on yet another strong race. And congrats to Clay as well – that’s so awesome that he has improved his time by 2 minutes and got a PR…and an age group award! Those “medals” are so cute – such a unique little gift. Woohoo! Way to go, you two!