Life Lately: Group Runs and Downtown Charleston Fun

Hey guys and gals! I wanted to share some pictures and life updates from the last few weeks.

I finally hung my medal display above my dresser/chest. I keep all my running awards on top of it, but if I win many more age group awards, I’ll need a bigger dresser. My Darlington Marathon medal isn’t pictured because it’s still in my purse (as I show it to friends when I see them).

Fun fact: my dresser where I stored all my running and workout clothes broke in the move from Florence to Charleston, and it was the only thing that broke. This is the replacement dresser I bought 3 weeks after our move.

Nadine and I went downtown to Waterfront Park one evening and we hit Tabbuli downtown for some delicious Mediterranean eats. For Greek food, Tabbuli is really convenient to the park and pretty good for the price. It’s not worth a trip to downtown Charleston, but if you’re already going and have plans near Waterfront Park, it’s super close.

After we ate, we took a picture by the Pineapple Fountain. Kids wade in the fountain during the summer months- when I was a kid, I did the same thing when my family visited Charleston. I guess it’s like a right of passage.

We also saw a pretty beautiful sunset over the Cooper River. Monuments at Waterfront Park describe the history of Charleston and have maps of the area through the years, from the 1600s to the 2000s. It’s a neat place to visit and walk around.

We saw a beautiful flower growing near a building on our walk back to the garage, and I had to take a picture. This is why walking is the best form of cross training- I always miss things like this when I run downtown.

I dressed up like a pirate (well, sort of) for International Talk Like a Pirate Day. Krispy Kreme gave you a free dozen donuts if you dressed like a pirate, came into the store, and said a pirate word. I didn’t have a toy parrot, but fortunately my owl was good enough to get the free dozen (I ate one donut and sent the rest to work with Clay- I prefer Glazed Gourmet Donuts- Downtown).

DSCN6239 - Copy

I went on my first post-marathon run last week! I tend to push myself sometimes running on my own, so I decided to make my first run back a group run. I met my friend Jessica at Palmetto Brewery for a group run sponsored by Fleet Feet Mt. Pleasant.

I told Jessica about my marathon, and we talked about hers (she was tapering). She ran a 4:02 at the Wineglass Marathon in New York this weekend! I wasn’t surprised at all because we’ve been training together and I knew she’d rock it out. Jessica even pulled negative splits… in a marathon. Pretty impressive!

The Mizuno shoe reps were on hand for everyone to try out new shoes, and I tried on the Wave Sayonara. I ran 3 miles in them and really liked them- so much that they may be my next pair of shoes. They’re really lightweight and pretty minimalist, but still offer a lot of support for longer runs like half marathons. Fleet Feet also took a big group picture of us, it was a fun, easy, social run- I liked it!

1381234_225780334253044_638722439_n

I hope everyone’s had a great week! It’s been busy but interesting here. I’m back to my regular workout schedule and will be back to my regular blogging schedule soon too. Plus, it’s finally feeling like Fall- what can beat that?

This entry was posted in Charleston SC, Downtown, Just for Fun, Running Clubs and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Life Lately: Group Runs and Downtown Charleston Fun

1. You didn’t show me your Darlington medal last night!!!!!

2. spectacuLAUR says:

Congrats to your friend on the 4:02 finish! Negative splits on a marathon is definitely impressive! I’m not a fan of Mizunos. I tried a pair last weekend and ended up picking Sauconys. There’s something about the shoes which didn’t feel right on my feet. It stinks because I hear so much good stuff about the company!

Hey, Mizuno’s aren’t for everyone- no shoe is. I’m not a fanboy of any particular brand and don’t like it when people act like a particular brand is the best and do nothing but promote that brand. I have brands I prefer, but really, the type of shoe you buy (neutral, stability, cushioning, support, lightweight, etc) really matters more than who makes it.

If Saucony’s feel and fit better, go for those- lots of great runners wear Saucony’s! My friend Steve wears them and he is a crazy fast runner- ran a 48 minute 10K on a tough trail a few weeks ago. So Saucony’s definitely work too!

3. Having a negative split (especially in the weather they experienced up there) is seriously impressive. Congrats to your friend. That is awesome about getting the free donuts. I’ve been craving donuts like it’s my job lately. I think I’ve eaten about a dozen in the past week. Oh well.

Yeah, Krispy Kreme is pretty big in the South, and I like one occasionally… but I just wanted one. Glazed is the best- they’re huge and delicious and it’s in downtown Charleston. They make a certain amount and are open from 9-2, but they close when they sell out, and sometimes they’re closed way early!

• Really? I’ve never found Krispy Kremes to be that big. We have a ton around here. They are really good though. That is what I’ve eaten a dozen of lately.

Florence has 3 Krispy Kremes. That’s a lot of Krispy’s for a small town. Charleston only has one, though. People here tend to like Dunkin or the local places more, maybe bc we have people from so many parts of the country (most everyone in Florence was well… from Florence… and will be in Florence… forever).

North Carolina has a ton of Dunkins and they even have a race where you run to a point, eat a dozen donuts, then run back. It’s called the Krispy Kreme Challenge!

• Sorry I meant the actual donuts to be that big LOL. They are def the smaller of the bunch of chains! Dunkins are pretty big though.

The ones at Glazed are huge. They cost more, but for the size of the donut you get it’s worth it.

Krispy is really good if the “hot now” sign is now and the donut is hot and you eat it now. Dunkin’s are more cake like and that’s good too. I always warm my donuts for a few seconds in the microwave, good stuff.

4. I love your medal display! What race was the pink one on the far left from? Looks like fun! It was great running at the Fleet Feet event; we need to do those more often! Hope to meet up with you soon!

5. Looks like you have been having a great time. I do like the concept of having your running awards by all your running clothes–good motivation each time you get ready for a workout!

Glad your friend had such a great race at Wineglass!

Thanks! You had a great race as well, congrats once again on your new PR and your age group award. Winning an age group award in a marathon is pretty stellar.

6. Stacey says:

Congratulations, Amy! Great job on finishing the marathon. When I finished my first 1/2, I slapped a 13.1 sticker on my car and proudly displayed the medal. Didn’t think I would do another, but as you know, I’m signing up to train. Thanks for your continued inspiration on your blog!

Thanks Stacey! It took 4 half marathons for me to slap a sticker on my car- I got the sticker after half marathon #2. Half marathons are pretty much my favorite distance, because it requires legit training and dedication, and you get the perks of a marathon (finisher’s medal), but don’t have to deal with the recovery nightmare!

You’ll do great training!! The TrySports training groups WORK… I am a success story- you can see on my race recaps how much my times dropped- across the board, all distances!

I will be at a lot of the runs. I am not training for either of those races, but I am pacing the Charleston half so trying to represent at the group runs in case any of the participants want to run in my pace group (looks like it’ll be 2:30 half marathoners).

• Stacey says:

I agree with you on the 1/2 benefits without even attempting a marathon. I would like to improve my time, however. My 1/2 time in February was 2:09. I’d like to break 2:00, even if it’s 1:59:59. 🙂

You can do it =). You can definitely beat 2:09 with good training, my first half time was 2:08 and I’d hardly trained for it. The longer you have been a runner too, it gets easier. It’s almost like the miles are banked or something…

The 2nd place guy in the marathon finished in 2:59:59.8. If his other foot had crossed the finish line he would have been over 3… he was cutting it close! Bet he’s glad he broke into the 2 hour range, yikes!