CrossBridge Pancake 5K/10K Run Recap

I missed racing over the summer.

As the South Carolina humidity crept up, the number of local 5K races went down, down, down. Clearly I had withdrawals, because a couple weeks ago, I signed up on a whim for the Crossbridge Ministries Pancake 5K/10K run.

One of the race directors, Richie, leads our parking garage runs, so I thought it would be a great way to repay him for introducing me to garage runs and possibly show off how great they are for speed and hill training. Plus, my friend, neighbor, and BodyPump instructor Liz was doing the 10K for her first 10K in 16 years, so I wanted to support her.

Oh and Richie spilled the beans that the post-run pancakes came from IHOP. That’s a big selling point for a race because I like pancakes but I absolutely love breakfast food after running.

2bd860a875431633ed7291d85e583d8f

I moved my 10 mile long run to Thursday, took Friday off from workouts, and got up at 5:30 on Saturday morning to eat 1/2 Clif bar, drink coffee, and carpool with Liz to Laurel Hill Plantation, which is in Mt. Pleasant and a 30 minute drive from Suburbia by the Swamps (Rural West Ashley). Fortunately, it wasn’t a bad drive early in the morning with little traffic.

We got there, picked up our numbers and shirts, and took some pre-race pictures.

I set off on the trails for a 1 mile warmup and to see how the trail was looking so I could prepare myself for the terrain. The Laurel Hill trail was more of a true trail, with roots and rocks and grassy patches, unlike the Francis Marion Dirt Dash, which was more like dirt roads.

I knew it wouldn’t be a PR and it wouldn’t be a fast race, but I was looking forward to running on the trails. I don’t run trails often, but knowing that I wouldn’t race fast mentally prepared me to slow down. If I did a road race, I would’ve been tempted to pushed the pace, and it was nice to think of this as a way to cheer for Liz (who also placed in her age group).

With the Darlington Marathon (aka, my 26.2 Mile Fun Run) 7 days after the race, my big goal for the CrossBridge Pancake 5K was *not* to race. I didn’t want to go all out and mess up my taper for the next Saturday. The whole time on the trail, I envisioned myself falling, breaking or spraining something, and not being able to do the marathon, because I’m such a klutz!

The run itself went pretty well. The 5Kers ran the circular trail once, and the 10Kers ran it twice. I started out pretty conservatively with just over an 8 minute mile pace in the first mile. The second mile was actually a little faster, as there was a big patch of flat grass and I plowed through it because I knew I could pick up some speed.

As for the third mile, the trail got really rocky and root-y. The roots were painted, fortunately, and I don’t think anyone fell (if they did, they didn’t talk about it- and they still finished the race in good shape). My third mile was about 20 seconds slower than Mile 1. All the miles were marked and had water stops at them- the course was very well organized.

DSCN6245-001

I saw Chad from Eagle Endurance motioning me toward the 5K finish. I sprinted, thinking the finish was there, but I still had to run across one long field, so my attempt at a finish kick pretty much kicked my butt. The course was slightly long, measuring in at 3.22 or 3.23 on everyone’s watches.

My time was 26:02 and the worst 5K time I’ve had in over a year. Of course, it was 1.) on a trail, 2.) long, and 3.) I wasn’t putting in a ton of effort. So, I wasn’t complaining about my time at all. It was still good enough for 1st place female in my age group and technically 3rd place female overall.

If you can’t race all out, the next best thing is having friends who do. My training partner Krystal won the 5K for the ladies, with my other training partner, Joelle, placing 2nd. All of us from the TrySports Mt. Pleasant crew placed, so it was a great day for us.

After the race and awards, we all enjoyed the pancakes and also heard about what the race proceeds benefit. A lady spoke about how she had a baby with severe birth defects that passed away just 20 minutes after birth. CrossBridge Ministries helped their family by funding the baby’s funeral, taking care of all arrangements, and helping the family members get into counseling and get back on their feet after such a tragic event.

Almost everyone listening was in tears, or close to tears, when she shared her story. It means a lot to do a race that benefits people and have someone share a personal story, so you know where the proceeds go. Plus, stories like that help you not take life for granted when you feel like you’re dealing with a lot.

Having a few friends whose children have passed away at a young age, I’m really glad that I could support this race and support such a great cause, and I hope I can do this run next year too.

This entry was posted in 5Ks, Mt Pleasant, Race Recaps, Trail running and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to CrossBridge Pancake 5K/10K Run Recap

1. allieksmith says:

Woah… IHOP pancakes afterwards?! I should have visited SC for that race!!

I am sad at why the race was created, but glad it was such a great contribution for the family. I can’t even imagine that situation.

How cool that you raced your slowest time (even though that’s not slow!!) and still got first in your age group!!

Yeah, it really wasn’t slow. For a humid day, a long course, and a trail, it was about right. Trail races and times are definitely different than road races!

The story was very, very sad- and it’s sad that tragic events happen to such good people. Personally, I’d rather support the small charity runs like this than the really big charities because I think CrossBridge likes to keep the money in SC and more of the proceeds go toward people rather than administrative costs or some high-power president or leader.

2. Amy says:

Oh, hearing those kinds of stories break my heart. I would definitely be in tears hearing it. Glad there was a personal touch to the race. IHOP sounds great after a 5K. Usually I crave breakfast when I run up to 8 miles, but after that, I always crave lunch/dinner foods. It is really strange to me, but I go with what my stomach tells me it wants 🙂

I crave breakfast food a lot! Then again, I love breakfast for dinner too. Usually I crave it more if I don’t actually eat breakfast before a run (I usually don’t).

It really meant a lot to hear the story of how the family was affected by CrossBridge ministries. Also, the parents and many of their friends participated in the run, which was great too. They all wore shirts in memory of their baby so it was cool seeing them on the course.

3. spectacuLAUR says:

Mmm. IHOP pancakes. I would have been first in line for this race! Lol. And I love the aspect of helping out charities for races. It makes me so mad I didn’t know about this aspect of running when I was just running 6 miles every day on the hamster wheel. I could have been out helping families/charities!

It’s so much more fun this way :). It makes me sad to see people who always run on the treadmill or push themselves. Between the fun runs we have with run club and cool races like this, you can do a healthy habit for a great cause and also make so many friends. It’s a great world and I love showing it to people, that it’s so much better than just the gym :).

4. Neat race! And congrats on the success even though you weren’t racing! 🙂 I’m excited to hear about how this weekend goes. I hope you aren’t succumbing to taper madness! I just recently started saving my race bibs and writing down my times, etc. Neat idea I picked up from somewhere. Happy Wednesday!

Thanks! I am kinda having taper fever, actually…

I got a contact stuck in my eye today, and after I got it out, cried a ton (due to the contact, not being sad or upset). My nose was running… and I’m constantly having to remind myself it was from the crying!

You just worry about craziness when you taper, I think.

5. olivetorun says:

I write my race stats on my race bibs too! I didn’t know other people did that 🙂

6. Hearing you talk about pancakes is making my stomach growl really loud. Shhhh. This is the library. Hehe. I really am in the library right now.
    Good job on this race! Hey, I’ve always wondered, is the number of the runners on the race bibs due to when the racers register, or some other reason?
    What’s been your favorite number as a runner… if you have one?
    So… a 5K is 3.1 or 3.2 miles? And is a 10K 6.2 miles then?

Have an awesome afternoon!

A 5K is 3.1 miles and a 10K is 6.2 miles. But, some courses are a little long- especially on trails- which makes sense because it’s harder to measure and you can’t always just “end” the race at the 3.1 or 6.2 mile mark (if that’s an area where you can’t set up a finish line/clock/tent/water/etc).

Sometimes the numbers are the registration order I think. I’m really not sure. Usually if there’s different distances, like a 5K, 10K, sometimes they will start with a different number. I think it depends on the race.

7. I still think you ran FAST, but I know for you that was reigning it in so great job on the taper. I wanted to do it, but just couldn’t work it around my 20.

Yeah, our MCMers were on a cutback week, so most of them just ran the course twice and did a little extra, I think they only had to do like 8. I love the idea of working a local race into a long run though.

I’ll be glad when this marathon is over so I can stick to the fun stuff :).