Training for the Darlington Marathon (September 8-14)

Hey everyone and happy Sunday! Before I jump straight into the weekly training recap, here are my posts from last week:

The Spartan Race giveaway runs through tonight, and I’ll announce the winner in the next day or so- so if you haven’t already, get your entries in! Like the lottery commercials always say, you can’t win if you don’t play (only I won’t take your money).

lotto_winner

Sunday: I went to the Yoga House of Charleston for the community/donation class that afternoon. The usual instructor Katie was back with another great class, and I definitely needed it after Saturday’s half marathon.

Monday: After waking up super sore (DOMS anyone?) I hit the East Shore treadmill for 7 miles before my massage that evening. I did a progressive run and my average pace was 8:08, I was pretty happy with that.

My massage was incredible! I haven’t booked a post-marathon massage yet, but I’m sure I will. It’s money well spent, not just because it’s relaxing but because if you have a good therapist, they can work out knots and niggles in your body, making you feel better and making your workouts go better.

cat_massage

I go to Judd at InTouch Massage on James Island, and I even hit the James Island Goodwill when I was done and got some pretty cool scores like skirts, a sweater, and a pair of dressy. pants. Yay for poppin’ tags!

Tuesday: That morning, I ran mile repeats with Katie and Kindal at the track, and I went to BodyPump that afternoon. I was tired from the half marathon and speedwork, so I didn’t go heavy on the weights (I won’t go heavy again until after my full).

Wednesday: After running 13 miles in two days, I figured a cross training day was a good idea. I rode 10 miles on the bike at the gym and had a pretty good ride. I sweated a ton- which was what I wanted. I didn’t feel *that* great when riding but I got through it. It’s just cross training, right? No need to push too hard.

Thursday: This is where my training week went kaput.

sniffles_dog

I felt the niggle in my throat Wednesday afternoon and took some medicine before bed that night, figuring I’d feel better when I woke up. I definitely turned my 5:00 AM alarm off (I’d planned to run, then go to the TrySports grand opening). I managed to work most of the day since I work from home.

This was the first time I’ve had a cold since January 2011, after my first half marathon. Anyway- I guess it was a cold; I didn’t go to the doc-in-a-box and pay the bucks to confirm my self-diagnosis. Better to be sick now than 2 weeks from now when I’m toeing the line at Darlington!

I didn’t wait for my Garmin to get signals before my walk to the mailbox (even that was dreadful), so this was a glorified unplanned rest day.

Friday: I felt a little better after loading up on meds Thursday night. I woke up in a sweat, so obviously any fever I had broke in the night. I worked all day and got tons accomplished, then did a bunch of cleaning around the house.

Anyone else feel like this after a major sickness?

not_sick_anymore

I took another day off running. No need to rush back into it, especially on Friday the 13th, right?

c1fe45ea55e9bea9f4cd086115c9fef1

Saturday: 14 miles at Isle of Palms with the TrySports crew- average 9:20/mile pace.

It was a beautiful day for a long run. That first cool Saturday of the Fall where you feel like you’re flying and you have a stellar race or long run, but I didn’t feel like that. I felt okay, but my head still hurt quite a bit. Three of us girls (Jessica, me, and Cathy) stuck together while Krystal and Steve got some faster miles in. Everyone in the group did the best we could with how we were feeling today, and that’s all you can expect.

Fullscreen capture 9142013 105551 PM.bmp

The best thing about a training group: even when it’s not your fastest or best run, you still have great company.

Running with a training group is like pizza, even when the run’s bad, it’s still pretty good.

Totals: 27 miles running, 10 miles biking, 1 BodyPump class, 1 yoga class.

I planned for one last hard training week, but I guess I started my marathon taper a little early. My mileage isn’t what I hoped, but being sick, it’s completely out of my control.

darlington_marathon_thumb3.jpg

Honestly, I couldn’t ask for a better time to be sick. If your body needs a break at any time, it’s right after a hard training cycle and hard race (no, I didn’t “race” the Dirt Dash half marathon, but 13.1 miles on a trail is no joke whether you go 80% in or 100% in).

With 2 weeks until the marathon, this should be out of my system before Darlington. If I’d gotten sick last weekend, I probably wouldn’t have been able to run the Dirt Dash. Next weekend, I’d risk still “getting over it” at the marathon. Two weeks from now… I would have to keep doing these long runs and register and pay for another marathon!

Until then, I’ll keep pressing on, training hard, and consider purchasing stock in Lysol.

Happy running!

This entry was posted in Darlington Marathon, Training Log and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Training for the Darlington Marathon (September 8-14)

1. KrisLawrence says:

Honestly, now is the perfect time to get sick. You have plenty of time to get it out of your system now and rehydrate and recover those muscles. Running less mileage than you wanted this week may be a good thing too, a 3 week taper is perfectly fine! Don’t stress over any of it and enjoy these last two weeks.

Thanks Kris, I definitely trust your expert advice because you’ve been doing this a lot longer than me and run way faster =). I’m definitely trying to be smart about recovering from it and not overdoing it either- the miles are in the bank for Sept. 28 and I don’t think anything extra now will really help.

2. Glad you’re feeling better! So right, it you’re going to get sick now is the time to do it. Take the time to rest now so that you’re 100% come darlington, get that immune system back up! I love steams over a pot of water with a ton of herbs. Always makes me feel better!

Thanks girly. I think I’ll be back to 100% pretty soon, but not taking any chances this late in the game (err, race). Hot water and steam seem pretty healthy in general.

3. Sounds like your cold is right at the perfect time. I hope you’re all better in time for Darlington! Good luck!

4. Amy says:

Glad you are feeling better and way to clean your house after being sick. I tend to milk being sick on the couch for a while. Kind of. Sounds like you needed an easy week, anyway.

Eh, not really milking being sick (we sorta take care of ourselves around here anyway), but definitely using it as an excuse to take things a little easier as far as life stress goes.

5. I’m glad the week of being stick didn’t stress you out too much. Honestly I think we all need weeks that bring us back into reality. If every week was perfect it would make it feel too easy. I wish I could get the motivation to clean right now LOL.

Eh, it was a little stressful, but Thursday is normally my run day and I was so sick running was the last thing on my mind! Now Saturday was pretty good, I was still weak and I’m still not feeling incredible, but it was just good to get out of the house and run, some sense of normalcy there you know 🙂

6. Hope the sickness stays away! You’ll rock the race. Happy tapering! 🙂

7. allieksmith says:

Aww, I’m sorry you got sick, but I think you’re right–it’s probably the best time (if any) to get sick before a marathon!

8. Take it easy Lauren. I hope you really are feeling better. But I feel yah, I get excited too the moment I get well. It sucks to get sick.
    Don’t get sick anymore. Your marathon is fast approaching! 🙂 Goodluck! 🙂

Haha, well I didn’t want to get sick this time. Hopefully I won’t get sick anymore but there’s only so much you can do. I’m sad my 2 years, 8 months “cold-free” streak was broken!

9. Stephanie says:

Oh my. I am starting to feel sick. Baby is sick it is so sad and I pretty much caught it. I have been going crazy cleaning for the past four days. I think I wash sheets once a day. So glad you are feeling better!

I washed the sheets on mine and Clay’s bed, but still have to wash the ones on the guest bed where I slept for two nights. Guess that’ll be tomorrow… not like we’re having any guests over tonight!

10. Smart move taking the extra day off. You are right, better to take the time and get over it. Glad you are feeling better.

11. Cori H. says:

I’m glad that you’re feeling better! Most of the people around me have been sick with the dreaded cold. I’m trying to stay well!

12. Steph says:

Bummer! Being sick sucks, but the timing was definitely not the worst. Still far enough out from race day, but all the hard work is done. Get lots of sleep!