Training for a 26.2 Mile Fun Run (August 25-31)

First off, here are my posts from last week, in case you missed them:

Now for your weekly dose of training log. If you want to follow along, you can read weeks 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 8, 9, and 10. I also log my training on DailyMile, which is a great online workout log. I highly recommend using it to document your training- you can even log and track how many miles are on your shoes!

If any of you have completed a marathon and have suggestions, I’d love to hear from you too. It’s not like I know what I’m doing here (For real- I have no idea what I’m doing here).

Fullscreen capture 8302013 113646 AM.bmp

Sunday: I headed downtown to church that morning and walked around downtown a bit taking pictures… surely that counts for something! The walk is always nice and helps me shake out and keep moving. Clay had friends over that afternoon, so I went to the Yoga House of Charleston for another community/donation class. I love doing yoga the day after long runs, and I love Yoga House.

Monday: 6.22 miles that morning, then BodyPump at East Shore on Monday afternoon. My morning run felt pretty good, and with the lowered humidity, two of my miles were under 8:00 min/mile (total time was 50:59). I think they were that fast because I saw a snake on the road though, eek!

Nothing like seeing a snake in Mile 1 of your 10K training run to mess up your splits, but my spirits were lifted seeing this sign on my way home.

DSCN6143-001

Tuesday: I woke up at 5 to hit the track with Kindal, Katie, Michelle, Jeanette, and Tyler. We did 400s and with warmup and cooldown, I ran a total of 5 miles.

I had a committee meeting for the Mt. Pleasant Jingle Bell Run that evening, so I didn’t run or work out after the speedwork.

The Jingle Bell Run 5K is a fundraiser for the Arthritis Foundation, and thanks to TrySports Mt. Pleasant, I’m now involved in planning and promoting the race, as well as working on some group runs to draw runners out for it. It’s pretty exciting, even if I’m not 100% sure what all my online promotion duties will be.

Best of all, Jingle Bell Run 5Ks are held all over the US, so even if you’re not in Mt. Pleasant, you may still be able to participate if there’s one near you. It’s a run/walk and Santa will be there, so you should check it out. I’ll have a blog post closer to the race with a discount code for you, too.

logo280px

Wednesday: I headed to East Shore on my lunch break to cross train and watch TV (and people). I flipped back and forth between ESPN and a local sports channel that was showing the Alabama vs. Georgia game from last year. Not only did I watch a rerun of a football game, I watched a rerun of a football game between South Carolina’s SEC rivals…

It was nice to get out of the house in the middle of the day and get moving, and I did 10 miles on the bike then headed home to actually shower and eat.

Thursday: I waited around until it got super hot- too hot to run outside. I did a 10K progressive run in 49:44 on the treadmill and watched Food Network and dreamed about what I’d treat myself to post-run (I ended up with a protein shake).

DSCN6145-001

I’m such a typical gymgoer watching either ESPN or Food Network.

Clay and I watched the University of South Carolina vs. University of North Carolina football game that night. Let’s just say if our neighbors didn’t know we’re Carolina Gamecock fans, they do now.

66766_10201006877307837_104658258_n

Friday: Rest day! I had a vacation day from my big-girl job and stayed up late watching football, so I slept in until 8:30- way too late!

I bummed around that morning and worked on blog things, then Clay and I headed downtown to try a new restaurant and walk around downtown. We ended up at Saffron, a deli and bakery on East Bay Street. After being tempted by the delicious pastries when we walked in (they make you walk past them to get to your table/booth!), I had the most delicious, epic, Mediterranean salad I’ve ever had, complete with grape leaves.

DSCN6148-001

Clay had a lamb burger, and we also shared the hummus and falafel appetizer.

After our meal (delicious and not overpriced), we hit Waterfront Park to walk around, people watch, and grab waffle cones of Belgian gelato, which is conveniently located right beside Waterfront Park. I love some gelato and can’t resist it when I’m downtown.

We also hit the Charleston City Market and I took this picture. Hey Leonardo!

DSCN6163-001

Saturday: 20 miles. Last long run of marathon training, as I’m running a half marathon next weekend (Francis Marion Dirt Dash), then tapering for my full on September 28. Jessica, Cathy, and I got started at 5 AM, then at 6 AM, Gary, Andrew, Steve, and Ed joined us.

The 20 milers aren’t so bad, but I’m super thankful for the 4 AM wakeup calls are over for awhile.

Fullscreen capture 8312013 74334 PM.bmp

Weekly totals: 37.4 miles total, 1 BodyPump class, 1 yoga class, 10 miles spinning

As I mentioned, I’m running a half marathon race this weekend. It’s a trail race, so I’m *running* it, not *racing* it. I definitely won’t go 100% because I have hard training to do the week after, but I did schedule a post-race massage as a reward for tackling the trails. I actually like the trail race because I know I’ll run it for enjoyment rather than speed.

I feel pretty confident in my training, but my biggest hurdle right now is digestion. Waking up at 4 for these long runs is messing with it, as I always end up making bathroom stops during the run. My marathon starts at 7 AM, which is a little later than I usually run (and fortunately, a little later than I usually go to the bathroom!), so I hope the issue just works itself out on September 28.

Either way, I’m watching my nutrition, hydration, and fiber intake pretty hard right now and hoping I don’t lose tons of time in a porta potty on race day.

Happy training!

This entry was posted in Downtown, Trail running, Training Log and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Training for a 26.2 Mile Fun Run (August 25-31)

1. spectacuLAUR says:

I always used to watch Food Network and try to think of something elaborate to make myself post-race. Then, I would get home and realize I was way too lazy and go for a good ‘ole standby meal. LOL it’s nice to dream, right? 😉

As far as digestion goes, I know I used to chug water in the morning as soon as I opened my eyes so by the time I brushed my teeth/washed my face I had to go to the bathroom. Also, I eat a bowl of oatmeal or something kind of big yogurt mess RIGHT before bed so I have to go right away in the mornings. I’m not sure if it’ll help you or not! I know how bad it is when you don’t go before a run because it’s going to happen during it :-/

I may try chugging water, even if I have to stop to pee, that beats having to stop at a porta potty for other reasons ;).

I also think about what I’ll eat for breakfast when I get home from long runs, but then I get home and don’t really want solid food for awhile, so I just wait until lunch… and even then, I don’t feel like leaving the house and driving to get food, so I eat whatever’s around haha.

2. Great training, miss! Now thanks to your poop comment I’ve realized I haven’t pooped in a few days. (Clearly I don’t believe in TMI hahaha.)

Race day is approaching! Good luck in the half AND the full!

Thanks for the well wishes :). Lots of races on the list in September, 3 actually (a 5K a week before the full, hopefully).

A few *days*… oh wow. I hope you feel better soon. I guess with your crazy rotation/medical schedule and the travel, I can see where your digestion might be a little wacky too though.

3. emarie24 says:

What app do you use for your running? I use MapMyRun, but I think it’s messed up because it told me I ran 5 miles this morning in 30 minutes. Impossible. I have a feeling it’s due to more remote areas where I lose GPS tracking, but maybe another app is better.

I don’t use an app, because I don’t have a SmartPhone ;).

I use the Garmin 10 GPS watch which I recommend for half marathoners.

The battery life is around 5 hours so it works if you’re doing a full too, but if you think the full will take around 5 hours, I probably would not get the Garmin 10 GPS watch.

• emarie24 says:

I’ll look into that! Is it easy to use? I’ve been carrying my iPhone in the side of my spandex shorts cause those elastic bands don’t fit around my arms! I figured eventually I’d have to invest in something better, but since I’m just starting out, I haven’t been in a big hurry.

It’s a super easy watch to use… there’s like 4 buttons and it’s very easy to figure out. Only downside is battery life, I have to charge it once a week, at least. I will definitely make sure it has a full charge before my full too.

And thanks for checking out my blog!

• emarie24 says:

🙂 Btw, I’m diva_cutie. I always read it, just never respond!

Ah, okay. Awesome! Thanks for the clarification.

4. Ha! I love the ecard. Definitely sums up what I feel after a long run in the summer heat. LOL!
    I agree with the use of Daily Mile – I use it too to help me track my miles on my shoes. 🙂
    I love love yoga after my long runs too! It’s a nice workout to stretch out those sore muscles! 🙂
    Awesome job on the 20miles! I’ve done a trail half marathon before and it was an awesome experience. Have fun!!! 🙂

I also use the shoe mileage tracker on Daily Mile. It really helps- I can tell you how many miles are on the 3 pairs of running shoes I rotate through. Speaking of that, it makes me wonder how people who wear the same shoes do it, I guess rotating makes me feel like I’m buying shoes less often even though I’m not. Just different shoes at different times.

5. I saw a snake on a run last week too and I went from super slow recovery mode into crazy ninja runner mode. I jumped around like crazy at every stick for the next 4 miles. Messes you up. Sorry it happened to you too.

That’s *exactly* it- it messes you up mentally more than your speed, because for the rest of the run you scrutinize every little stick, leaf, crack in the sidewalk, etc! Hard not to see em sometimes around here.

6. Steph says:

Haha, I can’t wait to sleep in again either.

I had a lot of digestion issues last summer as well. I found it was definitely less of an issue when I didn’t have to get up as early. Right now I find that if I eat the moment I get up, that gets my system going a little quicker

I tend to drink coffee when I get up, then eat after my coffee, I dunno… maybe I need a new routine! I do that every morning though whether I run or not. I can’t eat until I’ve been up 20-30 minutes- but I know my body could get used to it if I tried and it worked, you know?

7. I hope the trail race went well. Can’t wait to hear all about it! Great workout week! The med salad looks seriously good!!

Thanks! Yes, it was a delicious salad. I loved it, I had a different salad today that was really good but none were as good as this.

My trail run is this Saturday, Sept. 7. I think it will go pretty well, I’m not racing it anyway. Just a long assisted fun run!

8. allieksmith says:

I bet yoga the day after a long run is HEAVENLY! What a good idea.

Hope your trail run is awesome! I like when races have less pressure like that!

I always think trail races have less pressure than road races. It’s like, everyone just *knows* they won’t PR. Who PRs on a trail when they usually run road races (unless it’s the first time at that distance, first time at that distance in *forever*, or they haven’t raced in a very long time)?

Plus… trail runners are a different breed. I’m not that type of runner- because I can be competitive when my mind’s on it- but sometimes it rocks to be around those types of runners because they love the sport so much!

9. LilMysNinja says:

I have come across a snake in the road during one of my runs before…and it was right down the road from my house! I actually almost stepped on it before I realized what it was. Oops!

I’ll be doing the Jingle Bell this winter too. Matt (from the high five post last Friday!) from our RUI team actually works for a clinic that supports it, that’s why I did it last year. I hope I can beat my time from last year! 🙂

Great job on the training! I’m actually jealous about that trail race. I wanted to do it!