Training for a 26.2 Mile Fun Run (August 18-24)

First off, here are my posts from last week, in case you missed them:

Now for your weekly dose of training log. If you want to follow along, you can read weeks 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 8, and 9. I also log my training on DailyMile, which is a great online workout log. I highly recommend using it to document your training- you can even log and track how many miles are on your shoes!

If any of you have completed a marathon and have suggestions, I’d love to hear from you too. It’s not like I know what I’m doing here (For real- I have no idea what I’m doing here).

1236949_502915363130431_376234440_n

Sunday: My friends Evan and Tracy were in Charleston to shop and explore downtown, along with Tracey’s daughter and another friend, so we hit Three Little Birds for breakfast.

Three Little Birds is a really tasty breakfast restaurant that opens at 9 AM on Sunday- which is hard to find in a city where most places don’t open until 10- for “brunch”. It’s the best early Sunday breakfast option in Charleston and close to downtown. We spent the time talking and catching up and not taking pictures, but here’s the tofu scramble I had.

That afternoon, I went to the Yoga House of Charleston and the instructor snuck this picture! So here’s proof that I really do the yoga that I preach to runners about so much (because I’ve honestly never met injured runners who said they consistently practiced yoga before they got injured). It was a 1 hour flow class and I’m in the gray shirt/black shorts/purple mat.

yoga_house_pic

Monday: Since I ran 22 miles on Saturday, I took another day to cross train and did BodyPump at East Shore with my friend Liz who teaches there. My legs were still feeling the 22 miler so I didn’t lift any heavier than usual.

Tuesday: I woke up at 5 to hit the track with Kindal and Katie. We did 400s and 800s, and with warmup and cooldown, it was a total of 6 miles for me. My legs felt pretty good.

That evening, I went back to East Shore more BodyPump. Bbored and broke and already paying for a gym membership, I did another 45 minutes of weight training. On the bright side, my quads are beastly strong.

Wednesday: Off.

running_hangover

You know how Forrest Gump “just felt like running”?

Well… I just felt like not running on Wednesday, so I didn’t.

My back hurt (Maybe I slept on it wrong? Maybe I did a lift incorrectly during Pump? Maybe I just need a massage? I don’t know).

Thursday: I ran 4 miles around my neighborhood that morning, with 3 of the miles under 8:00 pace. Sometimes a day off really helps.

That evening, I joined my training partner Steve and his friend Richie and some others for a parking garage run in Downtown Charleston. It’s best way to gain and lose 500 feet of elevation when you live in the Lowcountry.

Fullscreen capture 8242013 63911 PM.bmp

I posted on DailyMile and Facebook and now have tons of friends wanting to run parking garages. It’s speedwork AND strength training for your legs at the same time- you just have to go when the garages aren’t crowded with cars and traffic. Fortunately, these guys are locals and know when and where to go and where to drink water downtown.

This run was pretty unforgettable. In fact, I’ll remember it whenever I park in a garage for the next oh… few months!

Friday: Rest day! I slept in, worked, ran some errands (bank, pet sitting, ate a Greek salad), met with our life insurance guy/financial advisor, and treated myself to a Diet Vanilla Coke.

That night, Nadine and I headed to Daniel Island to see Hootie and the Blowfish and Everclear! I won tickets to yet another weekend event, and since it was Hootie’s homegrown tour (he grew up here in Charleston), I have officially earned my Charleston card!

I’ll write more about the concert soon- I promise! Something for you to check back for!

Saturday: 15 miles. Since my long run was shorter, I decided to make it faster and push the pace a bit. The first 9 miles were great, but at mile 10, my stomach totally rebelled on me. Jessica was running 18 so we cruised in the last few miles.

Our average pace was 9:15 per mile, with many of the miles below 9:00 pace. I’ll take it.

Let’s just hope the patron saint of marathoners’ intestines is with me on race day.

Weekly totals: 30.5 miles total, 2 BodyPump classes, 1 yoga class.

My training had ups and downs this week. I only had four runs, none particularly long, but all very strong and fast (as fast as you can run from parking garage to parking garage, juggling downtown traffic and pedestrians).

I’ll most likely cut my strength training and BodyPump back when I start tapering for the full. I’ll still Pump at least once per week, so I won’t lose my fitness there. I might not get any better at BodyPump, but the goal here is to rock a 26.2 mile fun run, not a group fitness class. I can pump more when the marathon is over.

Happy training!

This entry was posted in Daniel Island, Training Log and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Training for a 26.2 Mile Fun Run (August 18-24)

1. I’ve wanted to try 3 little birds for a while! I’ve got to get better at that.

Sometimes you just have to listen to your body and take the day off! Great job. Something else I need to get better at… yoga. Must. do. it.

I love yoga :). I am thinking I will go to the free/donation class today at Yoga House, actually.

3LB is pretty amazing, you will really like it. They have some vegan things or items they could easily make vegan (pretty much everything that’s vegetarian that they can leave cheese off of). And they do fresh squeezed juice too.

2. Brian says:

Running up parking garages, what an awesome idea! Re: days off—I hear you! My problem is that sometimes I’m not sure if I’m listening to my head or my body…lol. Cheers!

It is hard to know when to rest or work out- especially with a marathon. It’s a delicate balance between trying to do your best, work out to your potential, and avoid injury, burnout, sickness, etc. I’m still trying to find that sweet spot of training!

3. spectacuLAUR says:

I have never heard of running in a parking garage but it’s seriously the GREATEST idea ever! It’s probably one of the safest ways to run interval hills, too! I must say, pretty genius!

Any breakfast place which serves vegan options is a gem! Whenever I see a restaurant has options for multiple eating styles, I know it’s going to be a good one!

I never thought of garages either until my friends introduced me to it! Now I think it’s a great training tool. Not something to do frequently, but it’s like speedwork… I feel like a little bit of garage running would go a long way.

I love restaurants that are accommodating for all eating styles. I may not be vegan, but if they can do great vegan food, I know they can do great vegetarian or pescetarian options too.

4. Steph says:

Still killing it! You’re going to do great.

As far as bodypump goes, I did keep going to the class during taper. I cut back my leg weight during the first week, and went no weight on leg tracks during the week before. It felt good to work out my arms a little before the race! Basically do whatever feels good, since you don’t want to tire yourself out.

Thanks Steph! I do love BodyPump, but I think I may cut back to one class per week, or at least not do them on back to back days. I definitely don’t see myself just skipping out on Pump! I have a busy week next week with meetings and stuff so I don’t think I can make it more than one time anyway.

I won’t get any stronger this way, but at least I won’t *lose* strength. Maybe when the full is over I can go back 2x a week.

5. I wholeheartedly believe that I am immune (well, much more immune) to injury when I have a regular yoga practice. I looooove it.

I love it too- it makes me feel really balanced, not just physically but also spiritually as well. I like to do yoga on Sunday, kind of symbolic as a day of rest- one day to “take it easy”, so to speak and reflect :). Then jump back into training pretty hard the next day.

6. Three Little Birds sounds lovely! Your plate looks delicious. 🙂

I like the Charleston pillow! Have you been to a lot of the places on them yet?

I hope your training continues to go well. By the way, did you get my letter??

Yes- I got your letter yesterday! I haven’t had a chance to write back and actually need to find stationary or paper or something to write back on. No lie, we just have post its and printer/copier paper here. This will be the first handwritten letter I’ve written in years so 1.) you’re lucky and 2.) my handwriting will probably suck.

I have been to a few places on that pillow- even though I found it in a store and definitely couldn’t afford it! At least many places on it are free or cheap to visit, haha!

7. Great week of training, sorry the tummy was acting up on you….definitely been there.

I’m still chuckling over hill workouts in parking garages… when we went to the baseball game Friday night we parked in the garage and as we were driving up it I was like damnnnnnn this really would be a good workout!

I can assure you it is quite a tough workout- especially when you run 6 of em, of various heights and inclines… you also have to be really careful with traffic, you really have to be “on” during the workout and I think that sorta helps too because you have to be mentally on during a race and not zone out (If you’re by yourself on a track, I could see zoning out, because I have).

8. You’re definitely doing awesome Lauren! 🙂 It was fun to read about your workouts except the trouble with the tummy part. 🙂

I LOL’ed at that “e-card” pic. I like that. Haha! 🙂