Training for a 26.2 mile fun run (July 28 – August 3)

First, here are last week’s posts, in case you missed them:

Now for this week’s training log. If you want to follow along, you can read weeks 12, 3, 4, 5, and 6. I also log my training on DailyMile, which is a great online workout log.

joggers_vs_runners

If any of you have completed a marathon and have suggestions, I’d love to hear from you too. It’s not like I know what I’m doing here (For real- I have no idea what I’m doing here).

July 28: Rest day. I didn’t do much of anything on Sunday, beside well… rest from my 19 miler on Saturday. I felt fine, we just didn’t do much. Clay made some homemade caprese with tomatoes and basil from our garden (we haven’t figured out how to grow mozzarella yet, so we bought that at Earth Fare).

July 29: I did my friend Liz’s BodyPump class at East Shore that morning, then yoga that afternoon. The yoga teacher switched up the workout on us and focused more on core and legs, and I think my Facebook update summed it up best.

Fullscreen capture 832013 80540 PM.bmp

July 30: 5 miles of speedwork with Kindal, Katie, and Michelle that morning. We alternated between 400s and 800s this week, and I really enjoyed the workout. We all ran some pretty strong splits.

Tuesday afternoon, I was pretty bored and thought about heading to run club, but since I didn’t feel like driving to Mt. Pleasant and running again, I ended up doing BodyPump again. I rarely make it to BodyPump twice a week, but since I did, I lifted more weights in the back and biceps tracks.

When the track ended, I couldn’t believe I hadn’t increased the weight sooner- I could’ve lifted that much months ago. I won’t say how much I lift in BodyPump- just know that I’m a distance runner and notoriously have ZERO upper body strength. We’ll keep it at that.

amy_clay_lifting

July 31: 7 miles (8:11 average pace) on the treadmill at East Shore. I watched a reality show on MTV and gradually increased the speed each mile. Toward the end of the show, I got perturbed at the characters (notice I say characters, not “real people”- I feel like anyone on a reality show is playing a part) and increased the speed to finish the run up, haha.

August 1: Unplanned rest day.

This was the first unplanned rest day I’ve taken in awhile. I slept in a bit, worked and attended meetings, then headed out for a lunch meetup- feeling fine. Around 2 PM, this extreme tired feeling hit me, and my marathon training turned into a DVR marathon on my couch.

training_rest_day

Not sure if my body was fighting off a potential sickness or if I felt weak from the heavy training schedule, but I wasn’t pushing it by running. I still treated myself to an 100 calorie Klondike ice cream sandwich and went to bed early (and slept in the next day).

August 2: I normally rest on Friday, but I felt better so I ran 6 miles (8:04 average pace) of “runch” on the treadmill. I warmed up at 7 mph then gradually increased the speed to 7.5 and finally 8 mph so I could take the world’s quickest shower before my R&D meeting for work (I attend meetings via Skype and GoToMeeting since I work from home).

home_office

August 3: 10 miles (8:54 average pace) on Isle of Palms with Gary at the TrySports gang. The MCM training group decided to take a cutback week so I did too, especially with how I felt on Thursday- I didn’t want to chance it. Since my run was only 10 miles (I never thought I’d say “only” and “10 miles” in the same sentence, but I guess it happens in marathon training), Gary and I pushed the pace a bit.

I wanted to keep all the miles under 9 min/mile, but that got hard once the sun came up. Fortunately, most of the later miles hovered around that, so I was pleased. It was 79 degrees out and 100% humidity, so when the run was over, we rang the sweat out of our shirts and shorts (literally) then headed to Atlanta Bread Company for breakfast. The egg white bagel there is tasty.

atl_bread

Weekly totals: 28 miles running, 2 BodyPump classes, 1 yoga class.

Despite the low mileage, I’m really happy with my workouts this week. I had four solid runs, a crazy hard yoga class, and increased lots of weights at BodyPump. I felt strong on every run, despite my abs hurting like crazy on Tuesday and Wednesday.

This Saturday, I’ll kick my long run back up to at least 18. I like running 4 days per week, and it’s working out with my schedule, job, and recovery. I actually have a busy week at work this week, so hopefully I can get up early enough to get all my miles in before work. You have to pretty much be finished running by 7 AM here or you’re screwed by humidity- but I think I can get it done.

Happy training!

This entry was posted in 26.2 Mile Fun Run, Training Log, Working from Home and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Training for a 26.2 mile fun run (July 28 – August 3)

1. spectacuLAUR says:

I’m glad you enjoyed a Klodiak bar on your day off, but if you’re running 19 miles I hope you’re eating a ton of food lol. I still regret not taking advantage of being a runner by eating oodles and oodles of whatever I wanted… Granted, eating tons of junk food doesn’t make for an energized body, you know what I mean haha!

I still remember my first yoga class. I thought it was going to be simple because I was a runner and nothing could harm me!!! (endorphin thoughts)… The next day my core hurt so bad I could barely lift myself out of bed LOL

I enjoy a 100 calorie Klondike almost every day. I figure I run enough miles to justify my daily ice cream bar or froyo (and yeah, I am eating a ton of calories… although it is difficult to eat for an hour or so after I run).

You definitely have to strike a balance between healthy and unhealthy foods and make sure you eat enough when marathon training. I don’t want to eat too much junk, but no way am I going to deny myself something I want, you know?

It’s amazing how many people have no clue how difficult yoga can be! Especially different practices like Jivamutki- yikes. Hard stuff!

• spectacuLAUR says:

I’ve never even heard of Jivamutki nor do I know hot to pronounce it LOL. And I agree with the balance in marathon training. Although you could probably eat an entire sleeve of cookies, I’m sure your body would feel terrible the next day because of just filling it with junk. But some junk, of course, is okay. 😉

Oh you’re right! And my stomach would hate me for eating tons of cookies too.

Jivamutki yoga is pretty big here in Charleston, although I’d never heard of it until I moved down. Basically it’s a fast-moving flow class with a bit more chanting. It moves faster but you don’t hold the poses quite as long, it’s definitely a “workout” type of yoga rather than a “relaxing” type! At least for me!

2. Steph says:

Sounds like you’re still killing it with marathon training! I can’t wait for the weather to cool off, though! I’m so over 100% humidity every day. Don’t feel bad about not being able to lift heavy weights in BodyPump! As long as you’re pushing yourself, you’re doing good.

Thanks! Yeah, a lot of people go to BodyPump as their workout, and I’m doing it to compliment my running, so there’s definitely a difference in the amount I lift compared to others. I really did push myself with cross training this week though.

I am very over 100% humidity and it’s 96 here today. This is one of the hotter days so far this summer!

3. Great work this week! It was a cutback week for me, too. Extra sleep and rest is always nice.

4. Nerri says:

Nice training! PS let me know if you figure out how to grow fresh mozz – I definitely need to start growing it so I can save at the grocery store 😉

5. I LOVE you picture about working from home. So true!

6. Amy!!
    You’re doing awesome in your training. Your appetizer looks yummy… but I don’t like tomatoes. But they’re nice and colorful. Yum.
    Atlanta Bread Company?? Cool. I wonder how close they are to being like Panera. I’ll have to locate one someday and try it myself. 😉
    Bahaha, I love the cartoon of you and Clay. I remember you posted it on Facebook awhile back. I laughed and wanted to DOUBLE like it. So, this is my “second” like.
    I still to this day have never tried Yoga, but some of my coworkers do, and maybe I should check it out sometime.

Best wishes as you continue your training!

Yes! You definitely should try yoga, I bet you’d really like it. But then again, I pretty much advise everyone to try yoga, hehe.

Panera Bread is *much* better than Atlanta Bread Company. They are similar though as far as foods, breads, etc goes.

7. allieksmith says:

Woo hoo for your strong training this past week! That’s always good to hear 🙂

8. im so impressed with your training!! (can you mail me some of your energy. thank you haha)

Hehe, honestly you get used to it after awhile. I always have people tell me things like this, truth is I didn’t start out running this many miles, it’s taken years (really- years) to build up to. But, any amount of exercise beats nothing and you had a good week of workouts last week too, especially with a job in nursing. I don’t know how you guys can deal with the 12-hour shifts!

9. LilMysNinja says:

That caprese looks delish!!

I’ve heard of great things about yoga for runners. I’d like to get into it more sometime soon.
    PS…that home office picture made me laugh. 🙂