Training for a 26.2 Mile Fun Run (July 21-27)

First, here are last week’s posts, in case you missed them:

Now for this week’s training log. If you want to follow along, you can read weeks 12, 3, 4, and 5. I also log my training on DailyMile, which is a great online workout log.

1001868_162259750625968_785938917_n

If any of you have completed a marathon and have suggestions, I’d love to hear from you too.

July 21: 1 Hour donation-based yoga class at Yoga House of Charleston. I love going to this class on Sunday because it’s a basic yoga class and you can pay what you want.

All of the money is donated to a local charity (the charity that receives the donations changes every month), and all abilities are welcome. A girl named Katie usually teaches and she’s great.

July 22: I ran 7.17 miles around the subdivision near me before going to the waterpark with Nadine. I had a very strong run, averaging an 8:16 pace with most miles closer to 8 min.

The subdivision next to us is really huge and easy to get lost in, so I’m glad we didn’t buy there (we looked at some homes there). It’s close and a nice alternative for when I don’t want to run in my own neighborhood.

July 23: 6 miles of speedwork with Kindal, Katie, and Michelle. We ran a ladder workout, which was 400, 800, 1200, 800, 400. I ran some before and after to make it 6 miles total.

I felt the 7 miles from Monday and it wasn’t my best speed workout at all, but I got it done and sometimes that’s all you can ask for.

July 24: 45 minutes of BodyPump (with emphasis on upper body- and I went up in weights!).

That evening, Clay was over at a friend’s house, so I went to Mex 1 Coastal Cantina to meet up with the Red Balloon Running Club. My friend Jessica and I ran an easy 4 miles then enjoyed tacos, chips and salsa, and conversation with the rest of that run club. Good times!

July 25: 6 miles for “runch” (running at lunch) on the treadmill at East Shore.

July 26: Off. Clay and I went to South of Philly for pizza that night as a mini-date. It was fun and South of Philly is one of our favorite pizza places.

Funny Totino's Mom Up Ecard: I love pizza more than I love certain members of my family.

Plus, I love to eat pizza before races, and since I had a long run the next day, I figured I’d see how well eating pizza the night before a race went. When you’re training for a 26.2 mile fun run, you have to train your tummy, too.

July 27: 16 miles (average 10:07/mile pace) around Wild Dunes at Isle of Palms with Krystal, Steve, and Jim, who are all training for the Marine Corps marathon. I ran an extra 3 after they finished since my 26.2 fun run is a few weeks before their marathon. Total of 19 miles for the long run, and my last three were all below 9:30 pace.

Weekly totals: 42 miles running, 1 BodyPump class, 1 yoga class.

I’m super glad this week is a cutback/cross training week! My body is feeling the mileage right now. On Thursday, I wanted to get up and run with TrySports Run Club that morning, but I just couldn’t get out of bed until 7 AM!

When your body’s absorbing all this hard training, you definitely need rest. I always take one day completely off each week, but I need to make sure I get enough sleep each night, too.

Clay has a bunch going on at work this week, so I’ll probably spend my off time making sure things go well with his big project and taking care of the house- and missing him. Besides that, I have a couple of nights out planned (TrySports team bowling at The Alley– yay!).

Q1.) How many hours of sleep do you get each night? Usually about 7 for me.

Q2.) What’s your favorite taco topping? I really like the corn salsa at Mex 1, and I like the cole slaw there. It’s pretty tasty!

This entry was posted in Training Log and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Training for a 26.2 Mile Fun Run (July 21-27)

1. Woo-Hoo! Looking good, Amy! I am so excited for you and I know you are going to rock this race–errr fun run! I am impressed by the 3 miles after the 16 miles. Fri evening I ran my long run of 15 miles this week and I was hurting by the end. I can run easy runs easy, but for some reason, I have been pushing the pace (nowhere even close to what I plan to run the marathon at-maybe 45 seconds to a minute slower) and have been dragging by the end. It kind of scares me, but really finishing a marathon is good enough for me.

Yeah, I definitely did not push the pace Saturday! Occasionally I push the pace on longer runs, but doing them with a group helps a lot because the social aspect makes it fun. If I had to do it alone I’d run faster just to be done with it. In the heat here, you can’t really push the pace at all on ANY run lately!

As for the 3 miles after the 16… gotta do what you gotta do. I’m fortunate to have long run friends to where even if our distances are not exactly the same, it is close enough to make the run enjoyable. Only having to run 3 of the long run miles alone is much better than all 19, yikes!

2. I usually sleep about 7 hours a night too and am desperate to try Mex1.
    Your workouts look great. Lost of good speeds and great mileage.
    I am taking way too easy this time in hopes that I can recover and run a good, injury free, race at MCM.

You have to try Mex 1. Best Mexican food in Charleston, hands down. Everyone Wednesday night liked it, some were die-hard Zia fanatics and even they said Mex 1 was pretty close in comparison- and you know Zia has a reputation around here and Mex 1 is new.

Definitely take it easy coming off an injury. MCM is still awhile off so by then you’ll really know what kind of pace/time you’re capable of. I don’t see where it matters so much in a marathon because there aren’t really awards to win unless you flat-out WIN, or want to qualify for Boston. I’m not in those categories either so i figure I’ll listen to my body and just enjoy.

3. Great job this week. That dirt picture needs to be Re-Worded to cupcakes and then it would describe my mission as you know!

I love some cupcakes too! And frozen yogurt, hehe. But my post marathon treat will be a Baklava Sundae from the Sundae House in Florence on our way back.

4. Lauren Owen says:

1. I try for 7 and a half hours of sleep a night
    2. A spicy salsa verde 🙂

5. Kate says:

“When you’re training for a 26.2 mile fun run, you have to train your tummy, too” = truer words were never spoken! I haven’t had pizza in ages. I kind of want some now.

Great training! I love that you do so much with friends. It must make it a lot easier to get going. I also love the ladder workout idea. A must try.

Sleep – never enough. It doesn’t matter if I get 6 hours or 11. Most night I toss and turn and have strange dreams. You’re so right though – training well is as much about sleep as it is about the actual training and nutrition plan.

I love speedworking with friends. They’re a little faster than me (I tend to be a more “long distance” runner and they do shorter races and CrossFit), so I like that, it actually pushes me. But, they’re not so much faster to where I’m getting smoked and I’m not so slow that I’m not pushing them either… it’s tough to explain.

Anyway, all three of the girls I do speed work with are super nice and fun to be around :).

I also toss and turn and have strange dreams and on nights when I run the next morning, I wake up constantly thinking I’ve overslept my alarm. Craziness!

6. You had such a solid week of training, you are doing awesome! Congrats on a huge week, enjoy the step back week now, your body will love you for it.

I get anywhere from 7-8 hours a night sometimes less. I used to be able to function of off 3-4 hours a night and I just can’t do that anymore!

Thanks! Yeah this week I will still run 4 times, just shorter, and probably do some more cross training. I actually think “cross training” is more like training because it makes you a better runner and keeps you running by working all your muscles.

Gah… I remember the college days of going to bed at like, 2, and getting up at 7. No clue how I did that…

7. Oooh. I probably get 4-5 hours of sleep at night. I’m a night owl. And an early bird. So there’s that. I am working on it.

8. jeksca says:

I usually get around 7 hours of sleep per night as well. Much more or less makes me feel groggy.

9. katsnf says:

26.2 mile FUN run? I’m training for my first full – it’s challenging for sure, trying to make it fun 😉

Yeah, I’m technically training for a marathon, but I’m not going to bust my tail doing it. I’m just running it for fun, so I can slap a 26.2 sticker on my car really. It’s an inaugurral event near the town where I went to college and lived, so I’m using it as an excuse to visit the family, see friends, and complete a marathon while I’m down.

It’s my first full, not like I’m going to win or qualify for Boston, so why not just call it a fun run :).

My real goal was to increase my mileage this summer in the heat to build my endurance and lungs in hopes for a sub-45 10K and maybe someday a sub-20 5K :).

10. I have to have a minimum 7 hours of sleep a night with a few days a week getting 8 hours. Otherwise I am sluggish and unfocused. As far as a taco topping…I’m pretty boring..just a little cheese and salsa..sometimes some sour cream.
    Good luck on your “fun run” and thanks for the comments on my posts.

11. LilMysNinja says:

It’s pretty cool that you can go to a donation based yoga class. I like that they do that!

You’re inspiring me to really get started on my training schedule for my half marathon. I’ve been missing my longer runs that I was doing prior to the runstreak.

As far as sleep, I’ve been slacking lately. I should be getting around 7 but sometimes I stay up way too late and try to get up early and it just never works out. Now that I’m back from vacay, I’m hoping to start managing my time better so I can get more sleep at night!

It doesn’t take long… once you get up early for a week or so your body just starts waking up at like 5! I can’t really sleep in past 7 anymore and even then I only do that on Sunday. I guess I go to bed at 10-10:30. So I usually get like 7 hours of sleep, except on Sunday. Sometimes I lay down in the afternoon but usually not…

I’m not a streak fan for the reason you suggested, it seems like it just wears people down and they have to decrease mileage. Plus, I love rest days and strongly encourage them. Running isn’t *that* big of a part of my life to where I can’t take a day off, and I never want it to be that way.

• LilMysNinja says:

I agree! But I’m glad that I did do it. I learned a lot about myself personally but I don’t think I’ll be doing it again. Like you, I love my rest days. 🙂

I understand- nothing like trying something new for the experience. That’s kind of how I’m taking this marathon. I’m not sure I’d do it again, but if I don’t like it, at least I can say I know from experience, right?

• LilMysNinja says:

Agreed! I was actually surprised when I learned you hadn’t done one already. You’re a running machine so I just assumed you had.